Degrees/levels to Art?

Degrees/levels to Art?

Apparently an ashtray and an unmade bed can be art ~ at least if it is looked at as art. Yet that is all it is unless it is saying something else.

I think of myself as an artist, and have made a few pieces somewhere out there, I ‘also’ do computer graphics and have a great deal of knowledge concerning how colour hues and shading works. However, I would say that I have yet to make ‘real art’, I have yet to find the thing that would be that entity.

Can we say that there are approximate levels of Art?

For example, there is Art in terms of taking an artistic look upon an object or set of objects.

Then there is Art which has been inspired ~ and we all know what that is when the artistic process arrives at it. We could call it ‘discovered art’.

Then the artist themselves arrive at a time when they can look back at that art as part of a journey.

That they have since arrived at other inspirations, and even ones which overshadow their previous work/s.

The great artist could be said to be those who have arrived at an art idea, and made a representation of that in some given artistic form.

Can we not also say that the medium for this is unlimited? I could create images using the tools of the computer and software, far greater than anything I could paint. Yet people think that computer art is created by the computer. Sure you have filters and tools which can create images, but as an artist I wouldn’t call that Art et al, and I think that is where people derive derisory thoughts on the matter.

…but that doesn’t mean that art created by the artist using that medium, isn’t art, surely?

I am looking forwards to the time when computers draw in 3D point-fields.

Though the world is already 3D, a 3D mapping of a real world object say an apple or ashtray would not be Art imho. …unless there is a reason why it is?! Oh but that would mean the artist would have to state what that is.

Honesty is required.
_

What do you mean by that?

There’s Cinema4D and Maya and the like.
And there are programmatic ways to generate art in that type of software.

I’m not sure if ‘point-field’ means something special to you. I googled the term, I couldn’t see anything that illuminated what you might mean by that other than just the idea of a point’s x, y and z coordinates in space – a ‘field’ of such coordinates. Which is how 3d design already works.

Sorry I should have said point-cloud. I was watching a documentary and a guy made a point-field [as he called it] by using lasers to map the x,y,z positions of objects.

Yea instead of meshes and skins as used in current 3D applications, it would be cool if there were just a set of points with colour attributes. then you could have supple skin on models etc, ~ because movement would just be a relative change in spatial locations of the points. Meshes are more solid and move via animations, they are a bit blocky being made of triangles.

i prefer my art the old-fashioned way… arty :wink:

Now it’s just about being controversial to make shed loads of money.