Is character the same as plot?

A common criticism aimed at art is that there was no character development. The same art can perhaps have had a good plot, but no characterisation. Is this an error?

I’d say plot is an important attribute of any character.

But is there actual separation between the two?

Not when Molestia is in full throttle there isn’t.

One puts into Art what one wants to get out of it… Art does not need a plot to be Art, but a good film does. Art is a depiction of…

But movies can be referred to as art - the Oscars has the term art in its title.
Can a movie have a good plot, but lack character development?

Anything is possible… any combination of outcomes can be had, which is why I found Captain America sorely lacking in plot over character development.

Are you referring to The Winter Soldier? I’d say that The Winter Soldier has elements of both, and that a counter example is a movie such as Spectre: Daniel Craig’s Bond doesn’t actually change in the movie, yet the plot is fantastic (better than all of the MCU).
Another example is Scream: Sidney Prescott doesn’t appear to change, yet the movie is great because of story, based around set pieces and situations (and great architecture).

If you mean the first CA film, then yes… that’s a couple of hours and 12 quid I’ll never get back :neutral_face:

Now… compare that to Watchmen, which was all go all the way through.

If you mean the first CA film, then yes… that’s a couple of hours and 12 quid I’ll never get back :neutral_face:

Now… compare that to Watchmen, which was all go all the way through.
[/quote]
The Winter Soldier is the sequel. Watchmen is okay, however it’s too much of a literal translation of the source material - what’s your perception of the movie?

James Bond as a character was never intended to have character. He was originally written as a bland blonde.

So the movies are mostly focused on the scene aesthetics and the chase of the action rather than any sort of character development. This is why it’s almost impossible to make any James Bond movie “suck”, since they are essentially founded on emptiness. Contrary to popular opinion, they are actually chick flics.

I agree. But Spectre does have meaning, meaning that perhaps separates it from the rest of the franchise. Which gets me questioning the very identity of intelligence - is Romy and Michelle’s High School Reunion more intelligent than Crash (2004) for example?
Is surface intelligence, in which case any slasher movie is more intelligent than a Best Picture winner?

Spectre can be summized in 2 lines.

A psycho half brother envious of his father’s affection towards his brother, uses his wealth and creates a scheme to ruin his brothers life and take over the world.

This has overtones and alludes to Big Brother and the modern problem of oppressive government and society.

Dont know anything about those two films.

What about Best Picture winners in general?

The first put me off the second. I have no interest in the sequel =;

What’s wrong with a literal translation if it is done well? Having not read the source material, my viewing pleasure was an untainted one… the storyline, cinematography, production, characters and plot came together nicely to deliver a beautifully-shot movie for the movie-goers viewing pleasure and visual appeasement via aesthetics.