music with words is inferior

Share and discuss.

music with words is inferior

Postby Fixed Cross » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:03 pm

seriously, because words distract from the chords.
The only musical aspect in music is the progressions of the chords.

The rhythm is not necessarily musical, a beat isn't music. Music is melody. Do we agree? Or, if not, don't quote me boy because I aint said shit.

Rap-music is n apt term, as rap isn't of itself music.
You have to put it to music and make it as musical as possible, which is why it is getting more feminine now, and less and less is being said.

But pop music still has words like "love" and "I" and and "you", and often enough this makes for plenty of emotion that no melody need be felt.

All you feel is a drug of someones used emotion. I hate that.
The strong do what they can, the weak accept what they must.
- Thucydides

see it now?

Thunderbolt steers all things.
- Heraclitus
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

Re: music with words is inferior

Postby Sauwelios » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:58 am

This is why I don't care if I can't understand song lyrics. (I do think voices are unique and sometimes even supreme instruments though; I much appreciate them being there.) Lyrics are seldom deeply philosophic, anyway. The only exception I would make would be a complete Greek tragedy, or even comedy, complete with music.

Sauwelios
Philosophical Supremacist

Postby Magnus Anderson » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:24 pm

I used to think the same. Regarding words, of course. I am in eternal disagreement with you regarding rhythm, however. Rhythm is a good thing. Whether to consider it a part of music or not, however, I don't know. If you think that music = melody then why have two different names for it? Why not simply call it melody?

If done well, words should not be a distraction.
I consider musicals > music.
Musicals have all the juicy parts: melody, rhythm, poetry, dancing and acting.
I got a philosophy degree, I'm not upset that I can't find work as a philosopher. It was my decision, and I knew that it wasn't a money making degree, so I get money elsewhere.
-- Mr. Reasonable
Magnus Anderson
Philosopher

Postby Pandora » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:56 pm

Lisa Gerrard's singing is beautiful, but she sings in gibberish, just made up vocal sounds. If one didn't know that one would just assume she's singing in some foreign language (like Clannad's Celtic songs, which are sung in actual language); and so one would just ascribe own meaning to the music. And sometimes, the song sounds better when you don't know the translation of lyrics. It is rare to see lyrics live up to beautiful music. Lorena McKennet was good with matching words (ballads) to music, but you don't see a lot of that.
Pandora
Philosopher

Postby Pandora » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:10 pm

In some religious communities musical instruments were forbidden and music was made by singing alone (choir). There are still vocal only choirs (Christian); Muslim singling is often vocal only too.
Pandora
Philosopher

Postby fuse » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:13 pm

^ Lisa Gerrard also came to mind when I saw this thread.

I think I get what you mean, Fixed Cross. Words often have a prescribing affect on a song. They can sort of package the expression into something more surface level, with a ready use and context. Something more consumable. This needn't always be the case, but it often works out that way.
fuse
Philosopher

Return to Art, Music, and Entertainment