F.A.

Those 12 steps directly deny the existence of God and the legitimacy of any religion. :confusion-shrug:

Replacing the “higher power” with one’s own “inner strength”.

Maybe I misread the 12steps, but I don’t see them as negating God per se, just the fundy God. “the God who never made sense.”

The ‘god who never made sense’ can be every/any god. In the context of all the other ‘steps’, it’s almost certainly a denial of God in general rather than a specific fundy god.

:laughing:

Depends on what exactly is meant by “never made sense”. Maybe they mean the concepts of Gods which contain contradictory statements and are therefore impossible (fundy gods mostly) or just the general lack of evidence for any deity which renders belief in them senseless.

I suspect that a wide range of types of people attend FA meetings–from those who feel mentally crippled by preachment about the fundy deity to those who are avowed atheists.

Is fundamentalism an addiction?

If so, then it must have felt good to the addict at the beginning.

Yes it Did!!!

So I google avowed and this is what it turns up: www.google.hr/?gws_rd=ssl#q=avowed

Wow

So I guess it’s okay for religious people to publicly state their religious orientation but if you are non religious you are suddenly avowed, strident, offensive and all that. It’s also interesting how it’s almost always the religious people who want to run away from any meaningful discussion about religion and god. No wonder. If I made major claims and had absolutely no evidence to back them up I’d also try to avoid serious discussion and shut up the other side.

Maybe I used the word wrong. I consider myself an avowed theist.

It seemed like the correct usage.

Avowed atheist = somebody who states openly that he is atheist. As opposed to an atheist who says nothing publicly about his beliefs or pretends to have beliefs in God.

Since the higher power of FA is the 'inner self", it is a subjective appraisal of whether or not God has anything to do with it. I’d say FA is pertinent for both atheists and theists.

I think you are either confused or have mis-linked.

Ah - I see.

Sounds like a good idea. Religion is a dangerous addictive drug. People who want to free themselves can use the help.

Er, no. “Fundementalists anonymous” is not the same as FFrf.

I see - then you are on step 11.

No. Obviously I’ve already done step 12. You just have one more to go. We are more similar than you think.

I will die before I give up my belief in God.

What’s your point?