Run away train theory

It can be easy to get swept away. Say you start with a truth…

truth is like a bowl of cornflakes …lol sorry

bear with me…

truth 1 + truth 2= potential bullshit/potential truth

what i am trying to say is that people very often start with a “truth” and say “well if this is true than that must be true, and if thats true than those must be true” the fact is the longer you continue down this avenue the less the information can be relied upon. Like chinese whispers.

What your left with is a run away train theory.

i would say that truth 1 and truth 2 always equal another truth. its just that with many people, the equation is not truth1 + truth2 =

it is:
truth1 + truth2 + some random b.s. that I will pretend is implied by either truth1 or truth2 so that it will add up and get the result I am lookin for

that was the general form of the “logic” used by many of my class mates to justify their beliefs

If I say:

If it is true that to murder is evil, then it should be punished.

So, the point is that murder may not be evil for another being. So, then truth1 + ttruth2 = bs. Therfore, the whole point behind this so called runaaway train theory is that there are no absolute truths!

As long as we stick to good premises and good logic I don’t think there’ll be a runaway train. Have you ever read Hume on that awful little “Is-to-Ought” problem? This may be what you are getting at, I’m thinkin’.

This thread reminds me of something… sorry if this just sends this thread right of its track, lol… but… Somewhere on this site there is this:

Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
Knowledge is power.
Be stupid.

I know it was meant as humor, but I’m going to rip it apart anyway. It places a negative value on curruption, which is transferred to power, creating a positive value in being stupid (if we place a positive value on our values being consistent, that is).

However, it is only possible to reach the conclusion if you first assume that ‘all’ power is ‘corrupt’. Only ‘corrupt’ absolute power (or… absolutely corrupt power, hehe) ‘corrupts absolutely’. Not all would agree that “all power corrupts” – atleast – I wouldn’t – because – then, there’s the question of “what” it is corrupting or in “what way” it is corrupt. The statement is too general.

Then, there is the queston of – is knowledge “corrupt” power?

And… is knowledge the “only” form of power, thus making stupidity the only way to escape this “corrupt power”?

Think of how intelligent one has to be to become President of the world’s Super Power, for example. :laughing:

(not that being “knowledgeable” necessarily means one is “intelligent” or vice versa)

yeah logically…and I mean formal logic, mathematical logic;l states that two or more valid truths equal a valid argument, thus maybe not a truth, but at least a valid simbliance of what could be truth eventually.