Looking at bikes.

So, we’re a one-car household now and while a combination of the terrible bus system here plus cycling is fine for good weather, come winter I won’t much fancy standing in the cold for long periods. So I’ve started to consider getting a motorcycle, moped, scooter, or something to that effect, to get me from point A to point B.

Anyone have any recommendations for low cost models? Anything I should know about hidden costs, like how does the insurance compare to auto insurance?

The most economical scooter I ever had was a Vespa 125. Okay, it’s still a scooter - which won’t score you many man-points - but Vespa’s have a certain je ne sais quois all the same.

Try to find one of the older models. The recent revamps have managed to leech it of much of it’s appeal. IMO.

the hidden cost is to your health…

if you are seriously going to ride in the cold, wear layers upon layers of clothing…

there is no heat on a bike… a little wind, a little rain/snow=huge problems…

and no amount of clothing will produce heat… (unless you want to buy special clothing)

-Imp

Yeah, I’m not sure you can get snow tires for that bad boy.

you know if you wear a viking helmet as you open the throttle on that beast, the machismo just drips from the dual kick stands…

-Imp

In my defence, before I bought the trusty Vespa, I’d previously blown up the engine on my RD350 (circa 1985) and ran out of money.

I loved that bike.

And Imp’s right by the way, just about every scar on my body is due, funnily enough, to the Vespa. Never had a crash on any of my motorbikes, bought the Vesp and bang, straight over the top of a car and into the gutter.

Luckily the Vesp was fine.

I’ve got a bike for sale. It’s a 2005 kawasaki klr650. 9000 miles, every possible option, I’ll let it go for 3200. Google it if you want, and yes, you can ride it in the snow, and on the interstate.

Tempting, but at that price I could own a Trabant and I’d much rather have that than a bike. I’m looking more at the really dirt-cheap options for starters. Plus it never really gets cold in Indiana, so I’m not too worried.

you’d be surprised how cold 40 degrees feels on a bike going 30 mph

-Imp

A bicycle is the lowest-cost opportunity :smiley: . It’s healthy, it’s cheap, it’s comfortable (with a modern spring-loaded bike, the here missing mudguards, and the right clothes), it’s environmentally sound. I use it the whole year, living in temperate climate (northern Germany) with lots of rain and sometimes cold winters. A rack and you can even manage your shopping partly.

It is possible to dress such that you can actually sweat in 30 degree weather while riding a motorcycle at interstate speeds.

Sammy,

I already own a nice bicycle. In addition the bus, I use it during summer, fall . . . and spring. But they don’t take care of ice well here in central USA, so the winter is difficult by bike. And where in N. D-land? I lived in Stralsund for a while. Good times, good times.

Smearsy,

Yeah, I’m not really worried about climate. I’ll let the old me worry about that one. A good coat is all I need. That and a couple of layers if it will last a while. Like I said, temperature isn’t an issue.

Actually here it is similar in winter, nobody cares for clearing the snow on cycle tracks.Though luckily it’s generally not much snow, at least not enough for spiked tires…But besides for biking it’s not bad, many cycle tracks in a city near Hamburg…not as beautiful as Stralsund unfortunately :slight_smile:

The beautifulist city Germany? I can that barely believing!