New Religion?

Half-formed posts, inchoate philosophies, and the germs of deep thought.

Moderator: Only_Humean

Re: New Religion?

Postby turtle » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:21 pm

Kriswest wrote:
turtle wrote:the new god is not based on fear...

You know what happens when you put a fresh new bone infront of a dog and remove the old one? the new bone gets just as mangled as the first one did. Every time a new religion is given, a new god, humans mangle the hell out it just like a dog with a bone. So the only way to keep Gods and bones safe is to not give them to the human or the dog. If it looks good on paper it will just get screwed up when you add the human factor in. Just omit the god. Make civil rules of ettiquette. Start them off in kindergarten and in a few generations you will have a sociatal meme that works far better than a God.

you may be right...the crowd does tend to make it spooky...
turtle
ILP Legend

Postby Kriswest » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:28 pm

Changing society should be spooky. Too many folks have just jumped right in and made things far worse by not thinking past their own thoughts.

I will be bitchy, cranky, sweet, happy, kind, pain in the ass all at random times from now on. I am embracing my mentalpause until further notice. Viva lack of total control!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is not a test,,, this is my life right now. Have a good day and please buckle up for safety reasons,, All those in high chairs, go in the back of the room.
Kriswest
ILP Legend

Postby turtle » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:35 pm

all the worlds' religions cant possibly know the reality of a god...science only knows some about the natural god...life is so complex nobody can possibly know the nature of what is going on...the jc-god is an attempt to know but it is out of date.....
evolutionary theory only patially explains what happened...if you take a close look you come up with many questions about the complexity of life..
turtle
ILP Legend

Postby Moreno » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:18 am

turtle wrote:all the worlds' religions cant possibly know the reality of a god
Well, religions can't really know anything, but religious people may have learned things about God via their practices.
Moreno
ILP Legend

Postby turtle » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:24 pm

Moreno wrote:
Well, religions can't really know anything, but religious people may have learned things about God via their practices.

what have "religious" people learned about god via their practices?
turtle
ILP Legend

Postby anon » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:40 pm

turtle wrote:
Moreno wrote:

what have "religious" people learned about god via their practices?

They may have discovered something in their practices, but putting that something together with a rational definition of what that something is, can prove problematic. If I experience a tangible feeling of receiving love after praying to God to ask for forgiveness for some sin, does that mean there is an all-knowing, all-powerful, all-good being in heaven? Typically the religious believe that to be the case, while the anti-religious don't believe the experience itself is possible. But those aren't the only two options.
"Distraction is the only thing that consoles us for our miseries, and yet it is itself the greatest of our miseries." - Blaise Pascal

"The bombs we plant in each other are ticking away." - Edward Yang

"To a fly that likes the smell of putrid / Meat the fragrance of sandalwood is foul. / Beings who discard Nirvana / Covet coarse Samsara's realm." - Saraha
anon
ILP Legend

Postby turtle » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:40 pm

is it anti-religious to believe in a new god?
turtle
ILP Legend

Postby anon » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:51 pm

turtle wrote:is it anti-religious to believe in a new god?

Not sure what you mean. At first glance I'd say no.
"Distraction is the only thing that consoles us for our miseries, and yet it is itself the greatest of our miseries." - Blaise Pascal

"To a fly that likes the smell of putrid / Meat the fragrance of sandalwood is foul. / Beings who discard Nirvana / Covet coarse Samsara's realm." - Saraha
anon
ILP Legend

Postby turtle » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:39 pm

anon wrote:

anon are you wanting a new god? a natural god that is realistic..
turtle
ILP Legend

Postby anon » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:40 pm

turtle wrote:
anon wrote:

anon are you wanting a new god? a natural god that is realistic..

No.

anon
ILP Legend

Postby turtle » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:37 pm

anyone here on ILP want a new god?
turtle
ILP Legend

Postby Arcturus Descending » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:00 pm

turtle wrote:anyone here on ILP want a new god?

When there is already so much in the universe to stand in awe of? Naw!
Call the world, if you please, the vale of soul-making.
Keats, Letters 1819
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby turtle » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:16 pm

windwalker wrote:
turtle wrote:anyone here on ILP want a new god?

When there is already so much in the universe to stand in awe of? Naw!

arc for god sake that is what the new god is-----
turtle
ILP Legend

Postby Arcturus Descending » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:30 pm

For many, it is against organized religion to believe in a new god though I daresay that there are those in the church (any denomination) who see the beauty and the power in destroying and reconstructing the god they 'see'...going beyond ...

But it's of the utmost importance I think for us to lose our pre-conceptions and the way in which we view a deity. With too much automatic belief and knowing, I think we sacrifice and lose the beauty and the meaning which can be found - by not letting go of our juvenile/dogmatic god and going in search of one who becomes far greater as we lose the god we've held in our view. Whether or not there is a god, what may come to us is one which is far greater and numinous and transcendent than any god which we've ever believed in. But sadly enough, we don't want to walk out of that tunnel. Walking into the light is far too uncomfortable for us to bear.
Keats, Letters 1819
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby innolan » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:27 pm

Arcturus Descending wrote:

For many, it is against organized religion to believe in a new god though I daresay that there are those in the church (any denomination) who see the beauty and the power in destroying and reconstructing the god they 'see'...going beyond ...

But it's of the utmost importance I think for us to lose our pre-conceptions and the way in which we view a deity. With too much automatic belief and knowing, I think we sacrifice and lose the beauty and the meaning which can be found - by not letting go of our juvenile/dogmatic god and going in search of one who becomes far greater as we lose the god we've held in our view. Whether or not there is a god, what may come to us is one which is far greater and numinous and transcendent than any god which we've ever believed in. But sadly enough, we don't want to walk out of that tunnel. Walking into the light is far too uncomfortable for us to bear.

BEAUTIFULLY SAID!!!!
I've given you much to read quite a bit to ponder
is it vision or dream? many wise men will wonder
but there's only one thing that will put our ass under...
if Christians are afraid to bring the thunder.
innolan

Postby Kriswest » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:58 pm

Turtle what about humanity as the God

I will be bitchy, cranky, sweet, happy, kind, pain in the ass all at random times from now on. I am embracing my mentalpause until further notice. Viva lack of total control!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is not a test,,, this is my life right now. Have a good day and please buckle up for safety reasons,, All those in high chairs, go in the back of the room.
Kriswest
ILP Legend

Postby turtle » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:24 am

Kriswest wrote:Turtle what about humanity as the God

Kriswest---that could be something....

actually as i think more on this we dont need a new religion or a new god...

what we need is christian morality without all the supernatural stuff..
religion seems to destroy the good part of christianity...
turtle
ILP Legend

Postby Kriswest » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:16 pm

lets not say Christian morality how about plain morality. Many religions have the same or similar morals. That is pretty much why we all are not rising up and taking pot shots at our different neighbors.

Kriswest
ILP Legend

Postby turtle » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:49 pm

Kriswest wrote:lets not say Christian morality how about plain morality. Many religions have the same or similar morals. That is pretty much why we all are not rising up and taking pot shots at our different neighbors.

sounds good kriswest-----

So now we have PLAIN MORALITY...
what would be rule #1....
turtle
ILP Legend

Postby Kriswest » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:29 pm

#1 You must have good manners and actually have good intentions towards others

Kriswest
ILP Legend

Postby Arcturus Descending » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:58 pm

Kriswest wrote:#1 You must have good manners and actually have good intentions towards others

Merry Christmas Kristy - and a Happy New Year to you too.

And what and who is to determine what those 'good intentions' are? And once we are clear on those good intentions, what then? :)
Keats, Letters 1819
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Arcturus Descending » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:06 pm

Kriswest wrote:Turtle what about humanity as the God

If we are to make 'humanity' to be god - wouldn't that mean that god is also a 'continuing' process of evolution, which I sort of intuit that if there IS something real there, then through us and because of us, that something is an incomplete ongoing process.

At this stage of our evolution, I would not want humanity to be god. :lol:
Keats, Letters 1819
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Kriswest » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:36 pm

Hey! And a Happy New year to you! I would say we can use a majority vote on who decides. this internet is in most countries and a good many humans /civilians have access to it. So why not use this tool as a tool to better our comraderie?
To make humanity as God is not literal it is just putting humanity in the higher bracket of thought, where Gods are right now. Instead of praying to gods on sunday help humanity. Instead of reading a bible , get educated. See?

Kriswest
ILP Legend

Previous

Return to The Sandbox