Does Age equal Wisdom?

Half-formed posts, inchoate philosophies, and the germs of deep thought.

Moderator: Only_Humean

Does Age equal Wisdom?

Postby TruthSeeker1020 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:04 am

I want get some opinions on this topics, so here is the simple question. Does being older mean that you are wiser?
TruthSeeker1020

Re: Does Age equal Wisdom?

Postby Frankenstein » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:07 pm

Age brings with it experience. However, it's what one does with those experiences whether it blossoms into wisdom. Do you think a thief could have more experience than a wise man? :-k
Frankenstein

Postby Typist » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:18 pm

Age doesn't equal wisdom, but age can be an aid towards wisdom. You know, you have more data to work with.
Typist
Philosopher

Postby phyllo » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:13 pm

Do you think a thief could have more experience than a wise man? :-k
A thief may be wiser than a wise man when it comes to questions of thievery. A successful thief is probably wiser than an unsuccessful thief.

A wise person is not wise in all things. A wise person knows what he/she does not know.
Nothing is a dream until you wake up - FM
phyllo
Philosopher

Postby MagsJ » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:49 pm

Not always... some youngsters are wiser than their elders who seem to have no common sense whatsoever, but that's today's London youths for you.. wise beyond their years.
Examine what is said, not him who speaks.
~Arab Proverb
Imageaes dhammo sanantano Pali: 'this is the eternal law'

The Narcissist exists whereby every activity and relationship is defined by the hedonistic need to acquire the symbols of spiritual wealth, this becoming the only expression of rigid, yet covert, social hierarchies. It is a culture where liberalism only exists insofar as it serves a consumer society, and even art, sex and religion lose their liberating power.
MagsJ
Triumvirate

Postby phyllo » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:11 pm

When I was sixteen, my father was the most ignorant man in the world. By the time I reached 21, I was surprised at how much he had learned in five years. Mark Twain
Nothing is a dream until you wake up - FM
phyllo
Philosopher

Postby Moreno » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:46 pm

TruthSeeker1020 wrote:I want get some opinions on this topics, so here is the simple question. Does being older mean that you are wiser?
It depends if you are actually learning as you age or hunkering down for fitting in, giving up your desires and nestling nicely in a coffin or, I mean, an unpstanding or cool role in society.
Moreno
ILP Legend

Postby Selah7+ » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:17 am

Typist wrote:Age doesn't equal wisdom, but age can be an aid towards wisdom. You know, you have more data to work with.

Agree. If we don't learn from our mistakes, then we haven't learned anything, therefore, we have not grown into wisdom.
Selah7+

Postby Moreno » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:31 am

Frankenstein wrote: Do you think a thief could have more experience than a wise man? :-k
Well, sure, he could be older, he could have done a wider variety of stuff?
Moreno
ILP Legend

Postby tentative » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:25 pm

Moreno wrote:
TruthSeeker1020 wrote:I want get some opinions on this topics, so here is the simple question. Does being older mean that you are wiser?
It depends if you are actually learning as you age or hunkering down for fitting in, giving up your desires and nestling nicely in a coffin or, I mean, an unpstanding or cool role in society.
The minute you give up your curiosity and cease to learn, you're already dead. There are way too many who refuse to stop taking up space, breathing our air, and wasting our time. The problem with gaining all that experiential 'wisdom' is that it slowly becomes a mulch pile. Vital wisdom is letting all that knowing go and being open to new experience. That's why so many of us remain stupid. :roll: :wink:
IGAYRCCFYVM
Sorry, arguing with the ignorant is like trying to wrestle with a jellyfish. No matter how many tentacles you cut off there are always more, and there isn't even a brain to stun. - Maia

I don't take know for an answer.
tentative

Postby felix dakat » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:45 pm

Yes. I'm still a fool, but I'm wise enough to recognize it now. :teasing-dunce:
Life simplification method: When you feel like doing something, wait until the feeling passes.
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby Frankenstein » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:59 am

Moreno wrote:
Frankenstein wrote: Do you think a thief could have more experience than a wise man? :-k

I was curious if anyone would differentiate the difference between experience and wisdom. You were the first to bite! Care to elaborate on this difference though? :)
Frankenstein

Postby Moreno » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:32 pm

Frankenstein wrote:
Moreno wrote:

I was curious if anyone would differentiate the difference between experience and wisdom. You were the first to bite! Care to elaborate on this difference though? :)

Experience comes with being alive. Staring at TV snow is experience.
Knowledge may or may not come from specific experiences. Probably some minimal learning takes place when one is drunk and staring at TV snow. But it would be less than other experiences, most likely.
Knowledge: information, facts and skills about the world.
Wisdom: meta-knowledge, often primarily about oneself.

Experience: I found myself drunk watching TV snow.
Knowledge: This was boring. TV snow is a bit like snow, but not really. I wished I was elsewhere.
Wisdom: Some urges I have can lead to experiences I find less than satisfying. I actually remember just as I was reaching for the second shot, a nagging fear that I was going to regret getting drunk, but I pushing this fear aside. I think in the future I will not push this fear aside and see if this leads to more positive experiences.

Next door another guy just stares at TV snow. Feels bad, but learns nothing. Does the same thing the next night.
Moreno
ILP Legend

Postby Typist » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:45 pm

If I am the oldest person on the forum, then age equals wisdom.

Otherwise, never mind.

Age 60.

Can you top that?
Typist
Philosopher

Postby tentative » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:59 pm

Typist wrote:If I am the oldest person on the forum, then age equals wisdom.

Otherwise, never mind.

Age 60.

Can you top that?

You're just a child. Try 68 :P
IGAYRCCFYVM
Sorry, arguing with the ignorant is like trying to wrestle with a jellyfish. No matter how many tentacles you cut off there are always more, and there isn't even a brain to stun. - Maia

I don't take know for an answer.
tentative

Postby Typist » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:09 pm

Damn!

Ok, ok, here's a photo of me inside my philosophical blankee, looking quite thoughtful, mostly about an end to thought.

Typist
Philosopher

Postby Xunzian » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:32 am

Not necessarily but we ought treat it as such.
Xunzian
Drunken Master

Postby Trevor » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:41 pm

Xunzian wrote:Not necessarily but we ought treat it as such.

Age brings with it experience, experience being essential to wisdom as far as I'm concerned, but if an individual lacks the ability, or will to reflect on their experience then they will more than likely lack wisdom.

Now, Xunxian thinks otherwise, and he has an Asian dude as an avatar, so I'm going to let rip on a tangent. A lot of old dudes are ignorant arseholes, and after having lived in a culture which bestows respect upon them regardless of them being either ignorant or aware they think they're entitled to unquestioned respect. Which is what wisdom deserves; not age. So, fuck the old ignorant pricks and let them die alone!

Edited for numerous typos :oops:
Last edited by Trevor on Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trevor

Postby Gobbo » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:46 am

I am always told I am an 'old soul.'

I'm not sure how that works.
Gobbo
Choronzon

Postby mr reasonable » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:52 am

Yes. All old people are wise.
mr reasonable
resident contrarian

Postby ScavengingVulture » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:00 am

We are born children and in old age we are children once again before we die.
"Fear is the mindkiller." - MuaDib the fictional character from the book Dune.
ScavengingVulture

Postby Kriswest » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:40 pm

The wisest people I have met are the ones that have the least contact with the influence of humanity.

I will be bitchy, cranky, sweet, happy, kind, pain in the ass all at random times from now on. I am embracing my mentalpause until further notice. Viva lack of total control!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is not a test,,, this is my life right now. Have a good day and please buckle up for safety reasons,, All those in high chairs, go in the back of the room.
Kriswest
ILP Legend

Return to The Sandbox