Seeking Opinions and Insight; Current Event Speech for Class

I have a current event speech due next week and I am hoping to get some opinions, insights and varying thoughts regarding my topic. I’m not trying to get anyone to do my school work for me.

My speech is going to be on Al Jazeera starting an American television channel and opening several bureaus in the US. I have to cite newspapers, magazines, etc. and present two opposing view points. Obviously, there are many other news sources that hate the idea of them coming to America; I’m having trouble finding an opposing viewpoint that I am satisfied with. It is inferred that by coming to the US, Al Jazeera believes they should be covering American news in America. I could go the route of “they should be here vs. they shouldn’t be here”. Any thoughts on inferred pro/con arguments that should be presented?

In addition to presenting the arguments for each side, I am expected to give my own opinion. I don’t think this will be a problem at all as I could speak for ages about the importance of a free press, objective journalism and an informed populace. I was hoping someone could give me a few more possible arguments or points for my speech. I just feel that my points are rather shallow and uninteresting.

The speech isn’t about religion, nor is it a profile of Al Jazeera. The speech merely has to discuss the arguments (on both sides) and I’m expected to give my analysis. I am trying to identify implicit arguments and assertions relating to the events; different ways of looking at the subject instead of just straight on.

Thank you all very much for your time.

Here are some links in case anyone wants to see the articles I’m planning on citing in my speech:

redstate.com/candicelan…ew … s-the-u-s/

salon.com/2013/08/27/th…ga … a_america/

hereandnow.wbur.org/2013/08/23/a … al-jazeera

nytimes.com/2013/08/19/…s. … d=all&_r=0

usatoday.com/story/mone…a- … s/2612937/

A little further though on the topic. I’ve decided to discuss the unexpected revolution that could occur in our free market system as a result of Al Jazeera America. Some argue that AJ is a “megaphone for terrorists” and ignite fears that there will be a rise in anti-American sentiments here in the US and that AJ will cause an uprising of Muslims/Arabs in the US. Others argue that AJ is impotent and that no one will watch the channel anyway, so there is really no danger; plus they won’t get enough viewers to stay on the air very long anyway.

I’m arguing that the revolution that can occur will be within the other news sources. When Americans are presented with in-depth, non-biased and uncensored news coverage they will have an awakening and their expectations from other news companies will change as well. I was think thinking of speaking of what this means for us and the importance of a free press (since so many other newspapers etc. are trashing AJ for some reason) in a democracy.

I welcome any other thoughts or insights.