Populism

Am I dancing around in circles in joy at the fact that populism is now inhabited by free market capitalists rather than communists?

Yes, yes I am.

When pride and sanity collide, issa beautiful thing.

It’s not perfect, don’t get me wrong, it’s not perfect. And free market capitalism isn’t exactly really a thing.

But hey, I look at Chavez and then I look at Trump and then I’m like, goddamnyes.

Gringos will be too proud to admit this, but Chavez was the populist leader of the world while he lived, not just Venezuela. Tactics he adopted and employed and also tactics that were adopted and employed against him in the microcosm of Venezuela are now being adopted and deployed globaly.

What does populism mean to you? To me it means what the people want, as opposed to what the elite wants. If you look at polls, people want less immigration and lower taxes for the middle and working class, but they also want more social services, universal education and healthcare. Populism isn’t left/right, it’s what the people want, the majority, not special interest groups. They want government to look out for their interests first.