Who should run the world?

This is intended as a thought question so a couple of rules are in order:

1. There has to be a leader.

–Easily contestable, something I might contest in fact, but for the sake of argument, work with me.

1. Has to be a generally recognized Nation State.

–Just don’t want people to hide behind the UN or NGO’s. :laughing:

1. Can’t be your own country.

–Pretty obvious why this has to be here, don’t you think?

1. Regardless of current power status, will immediately have the same proponderance of power (economic, military, and cultural) that the US has now.

–Easy to pick Costa Rica as it has no standing army.

My choice is probably Canada. :astonished:

Germany, obviously. (joke) No, Zimbabwe.

I’m extremely sorry, but I don’t really understand where you’re going on this. Is it 'which state/country/society/government should be the bench mark for governing around the world? If so, I think Canada would be a reasonably good choice, though I could bring up a host of objections and end up portraying Canada as something similar to NK. Iceland comes to mind. Though most of the leaders and nation states I have in mind are from places where the climate has demanded the sort of political co-operation and community spirit that were (as societies evolved) not necessary to societies in more temperate climates. Norway? New Zealand, possibly?

I want to see what happens before I explain my thinking.

I am a bit confused as well, but I would definitely say Iraq. Wouldn’t it be nice to be ruled by a vicious dictator for a change? No j/k but I agree with Pangloss, Canada maybe or I think I would actually prefer Australia. So now that Australia has taken over the world, what’s next? Does the entire world become Australian citizens? Does everyone recieve the right to vote? Do we extend all the laws and systems of Australia worldwide?

Are you suggesting that there might be benefits to a unified global state? Please continuewith your thinking.

I think Iraq. Let’s look at this logically. There were four main original points of civilization. From east to west:

1. The Yellow River Valley
  2. The Indus River Valley
  3. The Tigris and Eurphrates
  4. The Nile
    The Yellow River, originator of China, might make China the logical ruler of the far east. Consider that the far east culture basically comes from China and China dominates the region. There are Chinese living in Malaysia, and Indonesia. Most of the peoples of Korea, Japan, Southeast Asia originated in pre-historic times from what is now China.
    The Indus River, originator of India, makes India the logical ruler of the Asian subcontinent, including: India, Pakistan, Nepal, Bhutan, Bangladesh, perhaps Burma, Sri Lanka, and perhaps Afghanistan. From the Indus river spread the Dradivians who live in the south, and the Aryans who settled the north of the entire subcontinent.
    The Tigris and Euphrates, location of present-day Iraq, is the heart of mesopotamian civilization. From this arose the Assyrians and Babylonians, which conquered the fertile crescent. The Persians dependended on the region as the heart of their empire, even though they originated in the east. The Greek civilization was based on the Myceneans and Minoans who lived off trade to the near east.
    The Nile River valley is the unique home of the once-great Egyptian nation. Nile civilization did not really expand far beyond Egypt, despite a brief period of reign over Canaan.

All of the world’s major civilizations today arose due to these 4 original centers, no matter what wars or conquest followed. Of these four, which is most representative of humanity?

1. It is not the Chinese, for geographically and culturally they have always stood at one extreme, the far east. Confucianism or Buddhism never really reached beyond east Asia in large numbers, though Buddhism originated in India.
  2. It is not the Indians, though they would be a better choice, for Hinduism never reached beyond India, and Indian culture remains tied to the subcontinent. The large muslim minority in India testifies to the vulnerability of that culture.
  3. It is not the Egyptians, for their polytheist empire soon collapsed and their great pyramind-building schemes did not really have the major impact on the rest of the world.

Most of all, the most profound, the most important, of all the early major centers of civilization- was that of the Tigris and Euphrates- by far. This area represents the epicenter of the Indo-European ethnic group, which encompasses all Europeans, Semites, and Indians today, and whose blood is also in Latin America. Only black Africa and East Asia stand outside this group. The Mesopotamian center expanded eastward to Persia and Westward to Greece, and then to Rome, and then to Europe, whose civilization and religion came into being because of the near eastern predecessors. Abraham came from Sumer. Baghdad today is neither clearly West nor East, but a sort of crossroads, a crossroads too between Europe, Africa and Asia.

Iraq is truly the center of civilization. What a pity the state it is in today. But if there were a world capital, it should be located in Baghdad.

The people should not be ruled. They should only govern themselves. Remove all power. Do not let a warlord have power either.

i dream of an anarchist utopia. no one should be ruled…
but in any case, it should be africa.
all of mankind originated from africa…
they too had their fair share of crap from the white colonial masters.
poverty, diseases and death rate is sky high there… some redistribution needs to be done.

The Netherlands?

Very civilised, fair taxation system, environmentally aware, very cosmopolitan, multilingual, international outlook, sexy ladies :slight_smile:

A social democratic consensus shattered by the Pim Fortuyn (following the influx of many immigrants with conflicting values, and subsequent clash of civilisations) after the Dutch government failed to address the most damaging problem in Dutch society.

There is now a far-left leader with over 10% support advocating a policy of 72& income tax.

Dutch society is a fine model, and Dutch government (until a few years ago) too. No more though. Sorry.

See my ridiculous reaction and following thread after Pim Fortuyn’s assasination by an environmental fundamentalist: ilovephilosophy.com/phpbb/vi … p?t=138044

brazil - at least then I could say my country has a good soccer team.
cayman Islands - it’s my only opportunity to get a bank account that sounds cool
France - it’d save my having to change currency again
I like the idea of the netherlands, just something about them, plus i like their laws.
germany - if they want it so bad why not give them a shot?
Italy - pizza and pasta all the time!!!