Freedom of speech an anti-Americanism

I was pretty shocked when I read this article:

It is clear which participant stood for America values, and those who did not. Yet those dangerously- pychopathically- narrow-minded individuals might well have justified their disgusting behaviour in terms of patriotism.

I have seen a few reports of such behaviour, and incidents like this may or not reflect a wider trend within the United States- those within that country would be better placed to answer that question than I am.

If people are not able openly to question the actions of those in power we are in deep, deep trouble.

thoughts?

This was another article that had me concerned (I very much admire Anita Roddick- founder of The Body Shop).

I must say- I have witnessed similar reactions. For criticising America I am a “terrorist sympathiser”- for opposing war on Iraq I am a “supporter of Saddam Hussein”. For critisising the actions of my own government I have been told (by an American) that I must hate my country (!!!???).

As free thinkers, surely we should be especially aware of the importance of free speech?

I belive that this is an issue of grave concern, especially for Americans. I have no doubt that those who express such objectionable views are no more than a vocal minority- but I believe it’s something we should be concerned about.

a few months ago bush came to pennsylvania to deliver a speech. a man was arrested for holding a sign that opposed his policy. “bush must love the poor… he created so many of us” is what the sign said. it wasnt in any way a threat to the kin- i mean president and this man and his sister were both arrested. free speech as it is commonly thought of does not exist in any form (at least in america- i dont know about other countries.) it is an idea. i think everyone agrees on that. however, the problem is, people can easily interpret ideas differently. the american governments interpretation of free speech is “say what you wont but dont oppose us.”

and i know somebody will come in here saying im wrong because i just criticized america. im well aware of that. i did type it, after all. however, you must take into account credibility of the so called free speaker. i, for example, am 15 years old and very liberal. nobody takes what i say seriously and assumes it just to be a “rebellious phase” (an expression which ive heard enough times to last me the rest of my life.) if a noted journalist tried to say something like that, the government would be on top of them in an instant.

It’s strange how free speech is something that governments seem to think is against our best interests.

Take Blunkett, wants us all to be blind too with the amount of illiberal policies he’s been churning out in the last few years. Sounds harsh, but in my lifetime I haven’t seen one man work so hard to undermine the concept of liberty.