George Carlin On The Political Process

For discussions of culture, politics, economics, sociology, law, business and any other topic that falls under the social science remit.

Moderator: Uccisore

George Carlin On The Political Process

Postby James L Walker » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:11 am

"The political process and voting is a lot like masturbation only when I masturbate I get something more out of it in comparison."
"The state calls its own violence law, but that of the individual crime."
-Max Stirner-

"Laws are made by governments and are enforced by violence." - Leo Tolstoy-

"I am a disciple of chaos. I like to watch civilization burn and despair." - By Me

"Propaganda of the deed." - Bonnot Gang 1912

"My father rode a camel. I drive a car. My son flies a jet airplane. My son's son will ride a camel just like my father before him."- Arab Peak Oil Proverb

"Civilization is nothing more than a globalized overly worshipped farm where the owners violently and oppressively domesticate other human beings like enslaved cattle enforcing the direction of their labors for their own individual profit."- Random Anarcho Primitivist
James L Walker
Loki

Re: George Carlin On The Political Process

Postby Flannel Jesus » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:19 am

When someone tells me they voted in the presidential election, and particularly if they act proud of it or put an "I voted" pin/sticker on their shirt or car, I immediately lose a lot of respect for them.
Flannel Jesus
For Your Health

Postby James L Walker » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:29 pm

Flannel Jesus wrote:When someone tells me they voted in the presidential election, and particularly if they act proud of it or put an "I voted" pin/sticker on their shirt or car, I immediately lose a lot of respect for them.

I feel the same way.
"The state calls its own violence law, but that of the individual crime."
-Max Stirner-

"Laws are made by governments and are enforced by violence." - Leo Tolstoy-

"I am a disciple of chaos. I like to watch civilization burn and despair." - By Me

"Propaganda of the deed." - Bonnot Gang 1912

"My father rode a camel. I drive a car. My son flies a jet airplane. My son's son will ride a camel just like my father before him."- Arab Peak Oil Proverb

"Civilization is nothing more than a globalized overly worshipped farm where the owners violently and oppressively domesticate other human beings like enslaved cattle enforcing the direction of their labors for their own individual profit."- Random Anarcho Primitivist
James L Walker
Loki

Postby Stoic Guardian » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:24 am

I don't like George Carlin, hypocrite whiner.
"Fascism combats, and must combat, without respite or pity, not intelligence, but intellectualism—which is, as I have indicated, a sickness of the intellect" - Giovanni Gentile

”After visiting these places, you can easily understand how that within a few years Hitler will emerge from the hatred that surrounds him now as one of the most significant figures who ever lived. He had boundless ambition for his country which rendered him a menace to the peace of the world, but he had a mystery about him in the way that he lived and in the manner of his death that will live and grow after him. He had in him the stuff of which legends are made.”- John F. Kennedy
Stoic Guardian
Silvershirt Armchair Legionary

Postby Duality » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:15 am

Stoic Guardian wrote:I don't like George Carlin, hypocrite whiner.

yea we definitely need a lot more people feeding us bullshit at this point in time.
"A truth is not necessary, because we negatively are not able to conceive the actual existence of the opposite thereof;but a truth is necessary when we positively are able to apprehend that the negation thereof includes an inevitable contradiction. It is not that that we can see how the opposite comes to be true, but it is that the opposite can not possibly be true." -R.L. Dabney

"Those then who know not wisdom and virtue, and are always busy with gluttony and sensuality, go down and up again as far as the mean; and in this region they move at random throughout life, but they never pass into the true upper world; thither they neither look, nor do they ever find their way, neither are they truly filled with true being, nor do they ever taste of pure and abiding pleasure." -Socrates
Duality
Already Dead

Postby Stoic Guardian » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:43 am

Duality wrote:
Stoic Guardian wrote:I don't like George Carlin, hypocrite whiner.

yea we definitely need a lot more people feeding us bullshit at this point in time.

Isn't that what you here for :-"
"Fascism combats, and must combat, without respite or pity, not intelligence, but intellectualism—which is, as I have indicated, a sickness of the intellect" - Giovanni Gentile

”After visiting these places, you can easily understand how that within a few years Hitler will emerge from the hatred that surrounds him now as one of the most significant figures who ever lived. He had boundless ambition for his country which rendered him a menace to the peace of the world, but he had a mystery about him in the way that he lived and in the manner of his death that will live and grow after him. He had in him the stuff of which legends are made.”- John F. Kennedy
Stoic Guardian

Postby Trajicomic » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:26 am

Cynics and Stoics at it again, just like 2000 years ago.
Nothing is more Evil than becoming Man.
Image Image
I, Postman will go Up. :sci-fi-beamup:
Won't you Humans stay Down? :sci-fi-grayalien:
Trajicomic
Lawful Evil

Postby Stoic Guardian » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:22 pm

Yeah except cynics were basically stoics who pulled away from society and lived shabily, now a cynic is just an eternal downer.

The only thing I've seen that makes duality unique is that he's a Christian and a "cynic".

Stoic Guardian

Postby Duality » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:05 pm

Stoic Guardian wrote:Yeah except cynics were basically stoics who pulled away from society and lived shabily, now a cynic is just an eternal downer.

The only thing I've seen that makes duality unique is that he's a Christian and a "cynic".

Well at least I aint an imperialist butcher of the 3rd world and oppressor of 99% of the population
"A truth is not necessary, because we negatively are not able to conceive the actual existence of the opposite thereof;but a truth is necessary when we positively are able to apprehend that the negation thereof includes an inevitable contradiction. It is not that that we can see how the opposite comes to be true, but it is that the opposite can not possibly be true." -R.L. Dabney

"Those then who know not wisdom and virtue, and are always busy with gluttony and sensuality, go down and up again as far as the mean; and in this region they move at random throughout life, but they never pass into the true upper world; thither they neither look, nor do they ever find their way, neither are they truly filled with true being, nor do they ever taste of pure and abiding pleasure." -Socrates
Duality
Already Dead

Postby turtle » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:09 pm

James L Walker wrote:
Flannel Jesus wrote:When someone tells me they voted in the presidential election, and particularly if they act proud of it or put an "I voted" pin/sticker on their shirt or car, I immediately lose a lot of respect for them.

I feel the same way.

WHY?
turtle
ILP Legend

Postby Flannel Jesus » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:12 pm

You might as well wear a pin that says "I waited in line at the grocery store even though I wasn't buying anything." That's why.

Not to mention all of the philosophical baggage that people usually hold when they're proud of voting. Stuff about patriotic duty and the like...yuck.
Flannel Jesus
For Your Health

Postby turtle » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:23 pm

Flannel Jesus wrote:You might as well wear a pin that says "I waited in line at the grocery store even though I wasn't buying anything." That's why.

Not to mention all of the philosophical baggage that people usually hold when they're proud of voting. Stuff about patriotic duty and the like...yuck.

any other whys?
turtle
ILP Legend

Postby Flannel Jesus » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:41 pm

Well, anybody who's into those "vote or die" type campaigns isn't somebody I respect. They're asking people to vote without even asking them to think about who they're voting for. Their campaign isn't "Research the politicians and then vote or die," it's "vote or die." So, they erroneously think that peoples' votes count, AND on top of that still don't want to encourage people to think about who they're voting for or why they're voting. It's like, "I don't care what you believe or if you even think about your decisions, I want you to make very important decisions that will affect the whole country and millions of peoples' lives anyway."
Flannel Jesus
For Your Health

Postby turtle » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:09 pm

Flannel Jesus wrote:Well, anybody who's into those "vote or die" type campaigns isn't somebody I respect. They're asking people to vote without even asking them to think about who they're voting for. Their campaign isn't "Research the politicians and then vote or die," it's "vote or die." So, they erroneously think that peoples' votes count, AND on top of that still don't want to encourage people to think about who they're voting for or why they're voting. It's like, "I don't care what you believe or if you even think about your decisions, I want you to make very important decisions that will affect the whole country and millions of peoples' lives anyway."

thanks.....i understand...i like your thinking...
turtle
ILP Legend

Postby PavlovianModel146 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:49 am

Flannel Jesus = 100% Correct with that post.
"Love is the gravity of the Soul" - Abstract -/-/1988 - 3/11/2013 R.I.P

PavlovianModel146
Ringing The Bell

Postby Stoic Guardian » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:43 am

Stoic Guardian

Return to Society, Government, and Economics