America

We citizens of the U.S. have taken on (for the last few hundred years) the title of America and Americans when referring to our nation and countrymen respectively.

Most Europeans, Asians and Africans do the same.

But we seem to have offended our fellow continentals, particularly those south of the U.S Border who believe we are misusing the moniker.

What (if anything) should be done about this?

I like the Name myself and a majority of the world uses it in the same way as we U.S. citizans do.

If not America(ns) whats the alternative?

Yankees? Those living in the south and west would most likely be slower to embrace the title than those living in the northeast. Personally I don’t mind it but I think many others might.

United Statesian? United Statesmen? They don’t particularly roll off the tounge.

Well, we usually use gringo, but I see how that might not work…

North american usually does the trick. After all, Canada and the US are extremely similar cultures and nobody really asociates Mexico with north America.

I dunno man, your country desperatly needs a name.

We have one, Some just seem to take issue with it.

I don’t know. :-k

It should probably be taken up in official channels.

Do exactly what we’re doing now.

I think people attribute a little more to words than they warrant by acting as if they are reality rather than indicators that point to different aspects of reality. They don’t have such a magic power that if we continued as we were it would fix us into any present state, anymore than changing it would automatically change the reality that the dissenters associate with our use of it.

It’s a lot of nitpicking if you ask me based on a lack of understanding of the Diffe’rance that characterizes language: the shifting, precarious, and unstable nature of meaning.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1GEpg0c1fw[/youtube]

See, this is why I’ve always been a proponent of the alternative offered to us by the illustrious region of the U.S. known as the ‘Bible belt.’

'Merican.

Isn’t it about time we dropped that horribly impractical, not to mention antiquated, capital “A”? I don’t even understand why we bother with it. I mean, we’ve got another “a” right there at the end. Do we really need two or are we just being selfish?

No No No, the “A” give the word it’s Power and character.

Hell our countrymen have fought so many wars under the name I think we’ve earned it.

Why not just use the Initials from United States. US, It is US that is important, it is US that kicks ass, it is US that leads the world… I find US very catchy :smiley:

I think you kind of answered your own question here. Would an army of soldiers from Mexico or Canada fight under that same name, or prefer to represent their respective countries? In the same sense, U.S. soldiers prefer to represent their country, America. Not “The Americas”, or “North/South America”; just “America.” Plus, are we not the only country in ‘The Americas’ that bears the name of its locality, or continent? We claimed right to the demonym long ago and have marketed the hell out of it since. Even to the extent that Canadians traveling abroad apparently resent being called “American.”

Thought you might find this funny, too–

[size=95]

[/size]

The rest of the continent should change their name if they don’t like it. We are AMERICANS, FUCK YEAH!!!

Because changes aren’t random.

My god that’s it! You guys ar 'Mericans!

I’ll settle for 'Mericans if you say US or United States or USA or United States of America instead of America when refering to your country.

AMERICA, LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT PEZER.

LOVE IT…OR LEAVE IT!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Swmt_4W0U6U[/youtube]

I leave it every time I finally get through the connection to get to Canada.

suckah

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyHSjv9gxlE[/youtube]

I think this answers your question. :slight_smile:

Usians is a good alternative, a strange race from a galaxy far far away, that have come to inhabit Earth for many diverse reasons, of which there is no small blame on us. Although they would claim they are not natives to “Planet Earth”. :wink:

I kid of course, you are my brothers, well a brother that until recently has embarrassed the hell out of me anyway.

Wait… we’d be doing the settling. The only people who would actually be happy to be 'Merican would also be happy to eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner in a Walmart McDonald’s. Barefoot.

Just curious – why the concern over how U.S. citizens refer to their country?

Merkins is the new webology accepted meme.

urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=merkin

That said it does have other connotations, but merkins is the word not merkin.

Not sure it’s probably because there is more than one country on the Americas, In fact there are dozens. Hence America is imprecise, even North American falls short. Some people are anal, some people are Canadian. Some people just think that if you’re going to delineate you might as well make it PC, to avoid confusion and of course forestall the next war between Canada and China. I mean how would you as Usians pick sides in the coming war? Side with Canada? What have they done for you lately. :wink:

The Americas is a stupid fucking term merkins came up with to allow themselves to continue talking like idiots who eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner in a Walmart McDonald’s. Barefoot.

Let me tell you something, the guy who sailed his ass over here wasen’t called Americas Vespucio, it was Americo. And then the o was changed to a because a continent is feminine. That’s right, the name you are using now has more to do with Spanish than English.

I will stop this anti-gringo tirade now before it gets ugly, so I’ll take my leave and be thankeful for the word merkin, which I will now use.