Labels as a sense of Self.

For discussions of culture, politics, economics, sociology, law, business and any other topic that falls under the social science remit.

Moderator: Uccisore

Labels as a sense of Self.

Postby Stoic Guardian » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:13 am

Many (perhaps most) people are obsessed with labelling in the search to know, not only other people and things but also of themselves.

It seem to be more than often (usually based on a very limited understanding) people attach themselves to certain catagories and "ists" or "isims".

And then work backwords to try and determine who they are.

I myself tend to relate these catagories to values I already hold and often instead of working backwords I will think up a catagory on my own and many times I will find an ideology very close or identical to my "original" thoughts.

I'm aware that this isn't a new precedent. Then again how many are really "new", completely original ideas being unlikely and all.
"Fascism combats, and must combat, without respite or pity, not intelligence, but intellectualism—which is, as I have indicated, a sickness of the intellect" - Giovanni Gentile

”After visiting these places, you can easily understand how that within a few years Hitler will emerge from the hatred that surrounds him now as one of the most significant figures who ever lived. He had boundless ambition for his country which rendered him a menace to the peace of the world, but he had a mystery about him in the way that he lived and in the manner of his death that will live and grow after him. He had in him the stuff of which legends are made.”- John F. Kennedy
Stoic Guardian
Silvershirt Armchair Legionary

Re: Labels as a sense of Self.

Postby Stoic Guardian » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:24 am

Often though many will plunge will out completely understand the ideology they claim to adhere to.

As a negative side effect some use zealotry as a proxy for reasonable certainty.

And by this according to the level of conservative thinking they can develop a lens through which all information they receive is filtered and judged based on predeterminly held "values".

This is one of the greatest positives I see of philosophy, as any who truly embrace it are basically required to review all of ones preconcieved notions and values.

Sadly some seem to get too intwined with particular schools of philosophy that they end up often forsaking the original spirit of it all.

Then again interperatation and dogma seem to have an part in any way of thinking. Philosophy included, so who's to say what is truly the spirit of it all... though I think that line of think is correct, to the poin of me claiming philosophy as a Form or Universal.

Rather than as some think, a type of thinking invented by the ancient greeks, and I blame than interperatation to those who are too fixated on trying to catalogue everything without checking their sources.
"Fascism combats, and must combat, without respite or pity, not intelligence, but intellectualism—which is, as I have indicated, a sickness of the intellect" - Giovanni Gentile

”After visiting these places, you can easily understand how that within a few years Hitler will emerge from the hatred that surrounds him now as one of the most significant figures who ever lived. He had boundless ambition for his country which rendered him a menace to the peace of the world, but he had a mystery about him in the way that he lived and in the manner of his death that will live and grow after him. He had in him the stuff of which legends are made.”- John F. Kennedy
Stoic Guardian

Postby Stoic Guardian » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:25 am

Now it's starting to look like a rant. :-k

Stoic Guardian

Postby Philosopher8659 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:29 am

Stoic Guardian wrote:Many (perhaps most) people are obsessed with labelling in the search to know, not only other people and things but also of themselves.

All languages are mapping functions. Now you can call it a name, a word, a label, or a symbol, but the user of those things has one function. To map human behavior, or any behavior, past present, real, and hypothetical. And, if people were really obsessed with doing their own work, why all the stupid bs? And who in their right mind would assert that naming a thing known is the method of knowing what was named? damn,.
Philosopher8659

Postby Duality » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:15 am

You pretty much said all you need to know

Too much labels= forsaking experience and bias

Too little labeling= immorality and excessive acceptance of bullshit
"A truth is not necessary, because we negatively are not able to conceive the actual existence of the opposite thereof;but a truth is necessary when we positively are able to apprehend that the negation thereof includes an inevitable contradiction. It is not that that we can see how the opposite comes to be true, but it is that the opposite can not possibly be true." -R.L. Dabney

"Those then who know not wisdom and virtue, and are always busy with gluttony and sensuality, go down and up again as far as the mean; and in this region they move at random throughout life, but they never pass into the true upper world; thither they neither look, nor do they ever find their way, neither are they truly filled with true being, nor do they ever taste of pure and abiding pleasure." -Socrates
Duality
Already Dead

Postby Atthet » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:16 pm

Labels are limitations.

You can only label and define thyself as well as you can limit thyself.
Atthet

Return to Society, Government, and Economics