Family tree

I thought that I should verify my assumption.

How many posters are aware of their family tree?

Means, how many posters know beyond their grandparents, their names, their place and what they used to do?

I am taking here for granted that everyone knows at least upto their grandparents.

With love,
Sanjay

On my mothers side, back to before the american revolution, but only reliably in north america, Europe… Eh.

This isn’t to say I can trace every branch though. The US is highly nomadic, and people could move half a continent one or twice a generation.

We have enough documents around I can tell their births and deaths, religion, occupation, offspring, business, and sometimes biographical details if famous, or books they wrote.

I know people who can trace their ancestry reliably back to byzantine emperors. One idiot I know decorated the only picture of his house with his Greek lineages traced back several generations from a island off turkey, its lines become very dense, his ancestor from a hundred years ago in the center, every one listed after that.

A lot of people went into the process of making you, don’t fucking let them down.

Just checked this thread.

It seems to me that my assumption was right.

With love,
Sanjay

Very aware. I am quarter-Montenegrin, and Montenegrins are notorious for a strong family tradition and obsession with family trees, proven by the fact that my Montenegrin ancestors are the only ones with an elaborate family tree and all the relevant documentation (history, photos, etc.) that is still being maintained. The rest, Serbs and Herzegovinians, much less so, I can only trace them up to 3rd generation great-grandparent, and mostly upwards.

I know much about approximately 100 generations of my forebears / ancestors and of genealogy in general. :smiley:

My cousin once did some genealogical research. I can go back until the 13th generation. But he couldn’t figure out which professions our ancestors had. I only know their names, dates and places of birth, to whom they have been married and the dates and places of their deaths. From the 14th generation I only know two names and the notation that they were born between 1510 and 1520.

I am more concerned about the systems in place in the western societies for genealogy rather than individual efforts.

How much an ordinary person can know about his/her forefathers without much personal effort? Merely some rare individual awareness does not matter.

With love,
Sanjay

Mormons have a religion that requires them to convert people in a pyramid scheme, they have to get so many before they get their own heaven, and a ranking system stems from this.

The loophole is, they are allowed to baptise dead members of their family, no matter how far back, and some just baptise anyone.

This requires a lot of genealogical tracing. They make you fill out complex forms when you visit their church, its like the IRS. They tried making me do it when I visited, gave up after page two.

We also have websites that contribute to this, some free, some paid. My grandfather had done a lot of research, but others from other branches did too.

We also have family reunions. Can grow quite large at times here in the states. Most people know something, but few know every ancestral lineage. We still put emphasis on paternal names as lineage, but its dying off- once equality of property rights were passed to both sexes, and promingenture as a institution governing inheritance started fading, people started paying less attention to it. No inherent reason to pick the male side over the female side.

Mormonism seems to be good religion, except polygamy. It is much like evolved Christianity.

But, my guess is as it is merely two century old religion, they cannot trace beyond that.

Does any other religious subset also has some genealogical system in place?

With love,
Sanjay

I know up to my great grandparents, but I can know upto 4-5 centuries back without much effort if I want.

All I have to do, is to go to my family pundit/priest at Haridwar and pay his charges. He has all the records and can make a chart for me for some generations. My family pundit told me, when I visited him last time at the death of my aunt, that he can provide me the family tree up to 16 generations back, if I am interested and ready to pay the fees he asked.

With love,
Sanjay

Genealogical records are handwritten and maintained like this.

tribuneindia.com/2007/200709 … m/soc1.jpg

I think genetic profiles will dominate more in the future, it can theoretically link you up with anyone in a database and tell you who your really related to, not who your maternal lineage swears up and down your related to to your clueless male “ancestors”. Plus the issue with adoptions.

Some gene tests supposedly can show a image of what your parents and grand parents looked like. I’ve yet to see it, but read about it two months or so back, guess we will have alot of odd looking, computer generated imagery used in rape and child paternity cases. Does a person have to give a DNA sample if they are a defendant and had facial surgery?

Oh… the Mormon religion is directly descended from Swedenborg’s religion, so is actually a hundred years older than commonly believed.

I was getting repeatedly hit by them for a while at the door, so gave up on my pacifistic tolerance and broke some hearts, and they kept sending higher ranking guys to me, and they kept leaving upset. Nobody bothers me now (Jehovah’s Witnesses dodge this pkace, refuse to approach, and the Hare Krishna’s never come up here any more, never were door to door people, just take a bus stop, which is less annoying than knocking in a door admittedly, unless your trying to catch a bus).