How will you celebrate Brexit Day?

On Friday, after three and a half years of the establishment trying to thwart it, we finally leave the EU. My work shift ends at 11pm, the official moment we leave, and we’re planning a few drinks afterwards in a nearby pub that has a party till midnight.

I won’t be back in the UK till summer, so raise a glass for me. I dunno, good or bad, just glad it’s over. The UK has gone from being quite respected over here, to a bit of a joke. Boris hasn’t helped either. :frowning:

Can’t help feeling sad about it all. But eh, let’s hope it’s for the best.

I’ll raise a glass. And I’m sure all those who doubted us will be laughing on the other side of their faces soon.

Don’t know how I’ll be celebrating, but whatever I’ll be doing, it will be with a huge grin on my face. :mrgreen:

I remember when the EU found out how many holidays the British were taking each your… through (sneaky, spying) surveys, which was when they started taking more of our UK funds to line their pockets /for their personal coffers, and so sucking all the joy out of our lives and turning us into wage-slaves.

Bye bye, EU, bye bye :greetings-wavingyellow:

Admittedly, I have not been following the Brexit conflict these days as I would have some years ago when I was a political activist on the left.

But my own gut feeling [and that’s all it is] is that in some crucial respects it mimics the politics of race and nationalism practiced by whose in Trumpworld here in America. Those folks hell bent on making the rich richer by keeping the white working class in the Republican fold.

Here, for example, is a left wing take on it from CounterPunch magazine:

counterpunch.org/2019/06/17 … -violence/

In any event, you know me. From my frame of mind there are the objectivists from both ends of the political spectrum fiercely convinced that their own moral and political agenda reflect the most rational and virtuous way in which to think and feel about it.

Then there are the folks who react to it all largely from the perspective of “what’s in it for me?” The nihilists and the narcissists and the sociopaths.

The bottom line [mine] is that it all eventually comes down to the manner in which I construe the meaning of dasein here. “I” as basically an existential contraption drawn through a confluence of lived experiences to one or another set of political prejudices.

I was milling about at home, and let the event simply shroud over me, like a creeping fog that eventually encompasses all that is in its path… like what hurricanes do.