feeling debatey again

will debate anyone, or group of anyones, on anything vaguely sciencey, or social/politicky.*

*well, within reason anyway.

How about a debate to decide if Eugene Morrow or James S. Saint is closer to the truth on their thread. I’m just suggesting it though. In no way am I qualified to assess it.

Thass a bit vague, even for me.

If I had more time I’d have loved to argue for a kind of unusual, nontheistic version of intelligent design. I know that makes no sense - you’d have to be patient and hear me out.

That sounds interesting - can you make time…?

Fair enough. But is there anyone reading this who can tell us?

I honestly don’t think I can. Too bad for me, at least. It would have been a fun exploration for me. Remember that teleology thread of mine? It’s gotten me to thinkin’. That and a thread of mine about inventions versus discoveries. Something shifted in me about then, and unfortunately I haven’t been able to pursue the topics much. They just sort of simmer and brew and bounce around in my mind.

Damn, I like that kind of thing. Another time maybe.

I’ll argue that things are always the same no matter how people try and change them. And that all the things that you might call changes in the ways people behave throughout history, are just window dressing designed to obfuscate the fact that some elements of human nature are irrepressible.

You aren’t going to get anywhere without an ax to grind. YOU pick a subject area and maybe someone will bite.

Is Turkey moving west or east? And what are the implications for the locus of power in the middle east? How will Turkey resolve the kurdish issues? Can Turkey take on Syria without confronting Iran? Has Hezbala gained any foothold in Turkey?

C’mon. There are all kinds of interesting debates in socio/political happenings.

Well, that’s kinda too obvious to debate. As below, so above. Doesn’t have to be human even. All a question of scale. Emergence might save us, but that bugger never comes with a time table.

If only. However, do you know how many journalists are in jail right now over here…? 8-[

I’ll think on it, but the point of my challenging people here for me is to think about new things - which my picking a topic would kinda render moot. The stuff I already know is set in stone, debate is pointless.

:laughing: Yes, I’m aware how that sounds.

Do have a bit of a chubby for ethics at the moment, but that’s about it.

Yeah, I forgot the freedom of speech thingy is different depending where you happen to be.

OK, Ethics: I maintain that armed drones are an ethical approach to seeking out and killing known and proven enemies of state, no matter where, or what nationality they represent.

Okay, thought it over last night/today and we’re a go on drone army. I’ll take unethical. Nice one. I’ll pm whoever to get them to start a debate thread.