gaia

has anybody aside from me got a view on the gaia hypothesis. i wont be so stupid as to say heard of it because i assume most people have :wink:

is this the thing where the earth is a giant organism? If not, then i have no idea what the gaia theory is, could you give us a quick outline?

as far as complex adaptive systems go i thinks there is a lot in common between ā€˜gaiaā€™ and what we more commonly describe as lifeā€¦of course the same patterns, when viewed on a long enough time line, will occur in galactic dimensions tooā€¦ as grant morrison points out: the universe is a larva of a fifth-dimension alein organism and we are the mid-wivesā€¦
make up your own mindā€¦but just as your body as a system gives everything it needs to each cell in your body you CAN use magick to ask the world for what you want and if you learn to listen just right it will tell you where to find it allā€¦
ā€¦happy ā€˜shoppingā€™ā€¦be good consumers now, thatā€™s what makes the world go roundā€¦

the gaia theory in short is that life regulates the conditions for life. the earth is a geopysiological system as opposed to a geochemical system. it takes into account all the processes that would leave earth devoid of life (such as the 30% increase in the suns temperature since life began) and finds the combative system of life for these threats. it isnt ther greek goddess gaia and isnt neo-wicca or any other pantheistic system , it is a scientific theory which almost as much support as many well known theories such as darwinism. i personally fell in love with the concept but maybe it just appeals to my romantic side, i dont know but it certainly makes senses to me.

for related items especially the justification of gaia search for ā€œdaisyworldā€ which is a mathematical test to show how the theory works, first using a planet occupied by 2 types of daisy (actaul non-linear life processes used) and gradually more complex life systems. :smiley:

I just saw Final Fantasy for the first time yesterday and now I realize why everyone makes such a big deal out of this gaia theory. Gaia is like lava, you need extreme temperatures to cause a chemical reaction and begin life, which is really what that movie was about. The movie made reality weird.

Darwinism and Gaia dont contradict each other, do they? Thought they largely relied on the same principles.

latley i have been thinkin about this and i dont really like the conclusions that i think i have come to. i sorta like reject the concept of life to begin with. i mean life is just a whole bunch of chemical reactions right (well mabye not chemical but it is some sort of interaction between stuff right)? well if that is the case, then how exacally can we differentiate between one set of interactions of stuff and anouther sort of interaction. they are both a type of reacion of some sort. and then when i think about it like that, isnt the earth just a huge system with interacting stuff? its no different really then you or i or a bug on the road. i dont think you can label one as life and not the either. (or just reject the idea of ā€œlifeā€)