The Failure of Falsifiability

The Failure of Falsifiability

Is the principle of falsifiability truly a good principle to base scientific theories on? A theory must be susceptible to scientific experimentation. If this theory cannot be empirically investigated in any way, then it is not falsifiable and therefore not considered viable. On the surface, it seems commonsensical when viewing it from a scientific standpoint. We cannot have invisible elves dancing around causing water to boil or speak of the spirit that moves all things. There is no way to test for these hypotheses. Yet when one probes deeper into the history of scientific theories or philosophies, one finds that falsifiability depends on the technology of the times.

Democritus proposed an atomic theory over two millennia ago. These atoms could not be observed or tested by experiment in any way. Why should one believe in these invisible entities that are supposed to be the constituents of the universe? It was unfalsifiable. Even Ludwig Boltzmann faced immense criticism for his belief in atoms in the late 19th century, but with new technologies the theory became falsifiable. If one were to hold to the principle of falsifiability, then one must have held that this was a non-sensical theory not worth giving any more precious time to. Of course, this theory has held up, and unto this day there is a big speculation on new particles waiting to be discovered in the massive accelerators.

A second instance of the failure of falsifiability has to do with the heliocentric theory in either the time of Aristarchus or later with Copernicus. The stars in the sky should move relatively as the year advances and one should be able to calculate the stellar parallax from one point in the year to another months later. This theory was seemingly falsifiable. It was said that stellar parallax would be observed, but the results were null. No stellar parallax was observed, and thus this theory was ruled out by satisfying the principle of falsifiability. It has since then turned out that the stars are very far away and that it is the case that heliocentricism was correct.

To conclude, falsifiability as a criterion can fail in at least two ways: (1) A theory can be deemed unfalsifiable and yet turn out falsifiable at a later time. (2) A theory can be deemed falsifiable and be ruled out by observation, but at a later time it can be observed to be the case. The commonality between these two cases had to do with the technologies of the times. The contingency of invention does not seem like a good arbiter of the nature of the universe; in fact, it’s rather arbitrary to believe that our current technology will banish or uphold theories against the whims of time. Untimeliness clearly cannot factor in when considering scientific theories or theories in any other area of life.

yes
but that is childs play compared to Deans theorem
but get your mind around Deans theorem

gamahucherpress.yellowgum.com/bo … nality.pdf

There’s nothing to get your mind around. colin’s mindless dribble is hardly passable as language, let alone a theory.

Nothingness - As a head’s up, ladyjane = colin leslie dean.

I see nothing wrong with the principle of falsifiability…prove what is within your means. Also, disprove what is within your means. I can’t prove or disprove the flying spaghetti monster or elves, and I’ll admit that. But from a scientific standpoint, they’re meaningless to talk about, that’s all.

While he’s probably right, you should have a problem with anyone who says the flying spaghetti monster certainly doesn’t exist, though.

just like irrational numbers
cant see any
cant point to any
so i guess lying spaghetti monster or elves are just as meaningless as numbers thus mathematics

/reply failure

Keep to the topic.

The concept of Falsifiability was NOT around until the early 20th-Century.

Looking for causal chains, speculation, etc. has been around since the dawn of humanity - IMHO.

Ultimately, however one approaches science, we do know it needs to be: public and “testable”.

I’m not claiming that it was around before then. I just think some history sheds light on its inadequacies. The Ordinance of Time still Judges the world. Our conceptions of observational possibilities change with time. If falsificationalism were to become a totalizing practice, I think it would actually inhibit scientific progress.

My own two examples of where I’ve seen falsifiability fail, are the concepts of objectivity and infinity.

While I think that objectivity and infinity exist based upon a number of arguments, I have heard the counter-argument that because we, by definition, can’t measure either their existence or their non-existence, that the argument is itself meaningless.

I think therein lies some evidence to support your point.