Technology is for Dummies

On the radio this a.m. I heard a writer talking about his computer and how he did not know how it worked, and, further, he did not know how anything worked in this modern technology dominated world. The interviewer agreed, saying that whenever her computer would not work properly she used to get a ‘computer friend’ to help her out, though now she is more likely to google the problem.

This seems to me to read like a horror story.

Imagine waking up to find that you have been transported (2001: A Space Odyssey) to a mysterious world. Unlike that film, however, this is a world where everything is strange and you do not know how to work it. I mean, e.g. that you cannot even walk through a door because they are locked and have no handle or buttons, and you cannot turn on the tap for water and so on. There is nothing you can do because nothing is simple, like a handle.

Eventually, by a process of accident and exploration you discover that if you stick out your tongue at yourself in the mirror and step on a certain series of tiles on the kitchen floor the cold water will come on. Then you discover that if you whistle a high note, snap your fingers twice, and press a button on the coffee table then the front door will open.

It seems to me that that is a pretty accurate picture of how almost everyone in the technologically developed societies is living now. The only difference is the instruction books are provided so they do not have to find out for themselves how things work. Which is just as well, because in such a world of non-intuitive complexity finding out how things work for oneself is not a real option. When reason and experience and insight will not help you then you are in the position of trying to find a 10 digit code by guess work alone – chance in a million. (You find yourself up against this sort of thing rather a lot in video games. Often they operate by a sort of trickery, so the way forward is a matter of guess work – there is no way you can ‘work it out’.)

One bad problem with this sort of guess work is that you never know whether or not you might be pressing the ‘wrong’ button. That is to say, you might press a button that has things happening that you did not intend, or even pressing buttons that should not be pressed, or not pressed in that order because to do will cause the machine to break down. This is very discouraging of exploration. One is afraid to try things out because one might cause breakdown. This is nightmarishly restrictive. Human beings need to be able to PLAY.

Also, technology has made people helpless to help themselves. When anything goes wrong they have to call in an ‘expert’ to do the repairs. This is a fearful world. That feeling of helplessness; that feeling of unpredictability (elsewhere I decried the determinism of classical physics, but this is the wrong kind of unpredictability); that feeling of having no control whatsoever over things.

I know that many people deny that they live in fear in the modern world. My answer would be that they are either blind, sick fools (and it is a recognised problem among children these days that more and more of them are losing their ‘sense of danger’.), or else, to quote Eowyn from Lord of the Rings, they are no longer aware of their own fears because “use and old age have come to accept them.”

As to living life by instruction books, as I said above, that is a world in which all real possibility of play, and hence of REAL learning and REAL creativity have been lost.

On the other hand, if humans have degenerated so much that they are incapable of autonomy, that they actually NEED instruction books in order to deal with life then they may NEED this technological world: it provides them with crutches, supports their disabilities.

Tech only makes some people(maybe the majority) helpless. there are many that yet retain strength and it is these people that will survive by natural selection…

1. It all goes back to the fact that there is so little real work left in a Technological Economy - Society that the corporations (and all kinds of organizations (government and not) and others), in order to create some activity must load all manufactured entities with never ending dependencies, complexity, software (otherwise how are you going to keep those thousands of programmers and software engineers busy in all those corporations for 8 hours a day every day ?). And this just complicates everything, everything becomes indirect, everything becomes an “obligatory path” otherwise you could revert back to a simpler device but they all make sure that nothing is backwards compatible, nothing can go back to simple basic functions, it is either all or nothing and you have to guess the right combination of “all” and so forth. This also makes everyone and everything ever more dependent on the software and engineers designing this stuff, so they too become obligatory, they become a fixed dependency, you are forced to depend on them otherwise they would not be needed (and in fact 99 % of modern software and systems are truly almost useless crap, they are just there to make you depend on someone elses work that is useless but you are forced to abide too otherwise all those workers could be dumped in a heartbeat and so on).

2. Until the 1980s you could learn a skill set and apply it to fight matter - hardware, to fight the real constraints reality opposed us as in when you could repair color TVs with an oscilloscope and such: but this is no longer the case, now you fight against other people and their choices, and the crystallization of their will power in hard wired designs of software and functionality that was chosen arbitrarily just because, as standards, not as real physical constraints but as expressions of remote will powers and remote people deciding that devices and machines and software and systems must operate according to some arbitrary quirk choice (also implying the dependencies on those corporations or standards and the power struggles associated with it, look at the legal fights between Samsung and Apple and such). A modern color TV is full of black boxes (huge ICs) that no one on earth has the faintest idea what they could possibly be doing, it is all a black box now, but that is how the manufacturers want it, nothing can be understood you must be under the thumb of others in all cases. Windows has billions of bytes of software, how is that even conceivable ? after all, it just has to really do just a few things (capture position of mouse and call a function according to where it is and such, no big deal), totally insane complexity hiding a simple power struggle, a simple will power opposing you.

3. You can never develop any kind of skill set of any value anymore in modern technology, since everything always changes and the skill set just consists in knowing the right passwords, the right combinations of numbers to enter and such (like the right version of Java on what machine with what libraries and so on, like JAVA is the programming language that you use to write over and over again the same things that doesn’t work on any machine and the language is always being changed and so forth, always being updated and nothing works and in the end you are really just wasting time chasing other people’s will powers and design choices and ever changing minds and standards and so on). So in essence you will always be obsolete, you will always need new training and all of what you learned is already worthless since today you just need to learn the right combination of numbers that are valid for a week and then next week all the numbers have changed again and so forth. Obviously there is no real skill needed, no accumulation of talent or know how, you are just forced to always learn new idiotic crap that goes nowhere. Instead an analog designer of a few years back could build up a nice skill set that could be used over and over again, now nothing can be used over and over again and such.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=173035

"Another thing I noticed in the last few years is how a lot of technology has really peaked and we are essentially fighting against other people, their decisions and will power and not against matter - physics and natural limitations: if you designed or repaired a color TV in the 1980s you were fighting against physics by creating circuits and designs to optimize electronic functions, it was an objective kind of activity, everyone that could contribute, contributed as in the accumulation of knowledge, as a serial labor activity, as in labor accumulates and creates more results and wealth, as a “common good”, in that each invention or perfection led to better results: today a digital TV system is just an aggregate of arbitrary designs and systems all decided by other people according to standards according to their free will, you essential fight against other people and not against nature. "

APE STAR

kunstler.com/blog/2013/01/going- … ovies.html

instantsingularity1.blogspot.it/

instantsingularity3.blogspot.it/

instantsingularity.blogspot.it/

APE STAR

The only thing that can be said about technology in connection with survival by natural selection is that it’s a godsend to the Darwin Awards.

?

I couldn’t agree with you more. The trouble is that there are not enough voices carrying enough weight to inspire the masses and to dent the armour of the establishment. The only point on which I might disagree with you is your faith in technology, but then my post was about my disrespect for technology.

Actually if you were reading carefully my infinite knowledge, if you were listening in the classroom you would know by now that I don’t have faith in Technology: I have faith in insanity, in crazy, I don’t want the coming Technological Singularity to occur by machines becoming ever more intelligent until they design a machine more intelligent than man and a positive feedback loop kicks in creating ever capable brains and minds ever faster and in a jiffy the new machine brains would enter a singularity so far removed from the Ape Stone Age contraption our brain is (although it could occur this way) that a new entity and world would be born, another step in “Natural Evolution”: No, I want to stick wild things in our brains as they are, stick engines and chips, crack open skulls and experiment like crazy, not using logic or reasoning but just randomly combining all kinds of elements together, wild symbols, wild chemicals, wild signals and wild circuits like a MAD SCIENTIST.

And by just randomly sticking the most contorted and crazy stuff in brains, those brains will enter a new universe, so far removed from anything, they will enter a tremendous new universe incredible and so advanced, so crazy, way more than the other machine brains that are coming from that other, more traditional path of machines ever more intelligent…

TOBOR 8

Too little, far too late.

Great Op and thread, btw.

Back in “my day”, there was something we called “user friendly” (before apartment managers starting using it) to sort good from better programs. I watched as the tables were turned such that people were being selected in accord with “computer friendly” - or jobless.

The DHS publishes instructions for earmarking anyone speaking ill of technology, “extremists”.

People are dying out of a really messed up world.

Then natural selection may take us to a terrible species.

Does DHS stand for Department of Homeland Security, and if so, is your statement true? I feel I should know the answer to this and maybe a few decades ago I would have, but the powers that be have so lost touch with reality that anything is possible, so common sense is no longer a guide as to their actions.

ps: they’re not likely to be watching, are they? Could I get into trouble for this? Could I be labelled a" disturber of the peace"?

how so?

Well, it depends a bit what is meant by ‘tech’, since it seems to me there are quite different people, often, who are good at, say programming and using computers, and people who are good with more mundane tools.

But if I think of the people I know and you wipe out the people who are not so good at tech, I see a problematic imbalance in the species getting worse. If we are talking about the former tech people, computer etc., I see tendencies toward coldness, detachment, yes certain kinds of intelligence but not others. This is just the tendencies I noted and of course there are many exceptions. I would worry about the parallel trends in society if the non-techies were weeded out.

I was suggesting the type that is good at both.