Universe and Time

The sooner the better.

And think of helices, for example.

For an example of what?

The shape of movement could be a spiral.

I’m curious whether it is spiraling outward or inward. It can’t be exactly, perfectly constant. And I can’t think of a good excuse for it to be expanding in a spiral fashion. So I would guess that it is spiraling inward, contracting into the speculated black-hole center.

I also guess that it is spiraling inward, contracting into the speculated black-hole center. But what if our galaxy itself is also spiraling and finally contracting into the speculated black hole center of another galaxy (the Andromeda galaxy for example)?

I didn’t think Andromeda was that large. To cause such a spiraling effect, an extremely, extremely large galaxy would have to be involved along with the Milky Way. You are actually talking about a spiraling nebula. Andromeda isn’t big enough to be the center of that large a nebula.

Yes, a spiraling nebula, because Andromeda is not big enough to be the center of that large a nebula. Maybe the whole Local Group (thus: including Milky Way and Andromeda) is contracting into (the speculated black hole center of) the Virgo Supercluster.

Is that supercluster supposed to be spinning??
The speeds of these things is beginning to become a curious issue.
And I don’t take their word for these things too terribly seriously. They seem to speculate a lot.
Practical physics has no astronomy department.

I thought this was a good picture:

… and all made of the exact same affectance stuff. :sunglasses:

I guess that the Virgo Supercluster is supposed to be spinning. The Virgo Cluster is supposed to be the central cluster of the Virgo Supercluster, and according to that the black hole as the center of the Virgo Cluster would be the center of the Virgo Supercluster too. Nevertheless, there is a lot of speculation about it.

I guess that the main shape of movement in our universe is a spiral.

Examples:

As I wrote:

=>

I can’t really argue with that. Free mass bodies in space are going to be orbiting something that is orbiting something or at very least curving due to something. And as they orbit, they have to be either spiraling inward or outward.

What else is there.

More pointless speculation is a definite possibility. :evilfun:

In my animations the bodies are also curving (circling) due to a center, but - geometrically said - curving (circling) is merely two-dimensional, whereas spiraling is curving (circling) three-dimensionally.

At the same time when our Earth orbits our Sun, our Sun orbits the center of our galaxy. According to this facts the movement of the Earth can only be three-dimensional, thus spiral.

One can nevertheless call it “circling in a three-dimensional way”, because it means “spiraling”.

I am talking about a geometrical difference - not about spiraling inward or outward (that would be another issue).

The helical model (part 1):

The helical model (part 2):

In the video is said that our solar system would be a vortex. I do not think so. But: The most basic notion that the planets trace helical paths through space is perfectly correct. If you were not aware that the Sun orbits the center of the galaxy — which, since the planets orbit it, necessitates that they trace out helical paths — then the education system has seriously failed.

Emmm…
He seems to be presuming some things. He speaks of an “interstellar wind” presumably due to the Solar System traveling. And although it is impossible to have absolutely zero wind, what makes it reasonable to think that the ambient space (“wind”) isn’t moving along with the Solar System?

As I said: I do not agree with everything he is saying. My intention was to show the spiral/helical model, because I think that he did a good job with his video/animation. But his text is not always agreeable.

I agree that he did a great job with the video. And it points out an often overlooked necessary fact - the helical motion of the planets as the Sun travels.

He also assumes a helical travel pattern for the Sun, which I see no reason to buy into. Why would the Sun be orbiting anything other than the galactic center?