Riddles

The first riddle.

I made a mistake reading e, therefore a or c instead of a or b. Duh. I am going to delete my previous points to make it less confusing.

[tab]A liar
C true
E liar
D true
B true[/tab]

That is also false.

[tab]In your previous post you were saying that A and B were liars, but that is not possible that both A and B are liars. Now you are saying that A and E are liars, but it is also not possible that both A and E are liars.[/tab]
Please try again.

B and C are lying.

With love,
Sanjay

Hello, Sanjay.

[tab]Your answer is false. Unfortunately. It is not possible that both B and C are liars.[/tab]

Sanjay, we are supposed to put our answers in a tab so that others don’t see it unless they want to.

And I can see that this puzzle also has a communication issue that depends on interpretation.[tab]A: “B lies if and only if D is telling the truth.”
If that is a lie, all you know is that B is independent of D.

B: “If C is telling the truth, then either A or D is a liar.”
If that is a lie, then if C is telling the truth, both A or D are true.

C: “E lies, and also A or B lie.”
If that is a lie, either E is true or both A or B are true.

D: “If B is telling the truth, then A or C too.”
If that is a lie, then if B is telling the truth, both A and C are lies.

E: “Among the persons A, C and D is at least one liar.”
If that is a lie, A, C, and D are true.[/tab]

This riddle is logically flawless. You merely have to use logic.

One hint is (for example) that logic contains different types of implication.

Communication comes before attempts at logical deduction. Different people read the same words to mean different things. Thus logic is only flawless if the words are understood as intended (often not the case). In logic, the nuances of language can be critical.

Well, I do not understand.
By which of the five statements they cannot be liars?

With love,
Sanjay

Am I to understand that the very premises of the problem may be lies?

I am saying that there is no understanding problem. So if you do not understand a word or some words or many words, James, why do you not tell me what you do not understand?

You can’t know what understanding problems other people might have. I wasn’t talking about you or I (necessarily - unless what I posted wasn’t right). When some people read:

“If C is true then X is false”
as a lie, they think it means that
“If C is true then X is true”.

Technically it wouldn’t mean that, but people not used to harder core logic issues are used to speaking to each other differently.

Yes, I know, but they can ask, if they are not sure, or/and guess and try till such time as they know the solution.

Yes. You are “on the wrong riddle”.

No. You are not “close”.

No. I am sure that you were not referring to the first riddle but to the second riddle.

You have 2 empty buckets.

One 5 litre bucket and one 3 litre bucket.

You can fill either bucket with a tap of water.

You must fill the bucket to the top if you use a tap.

You can use the water of one bucket to fill another bucket.

You can’t use a measuring device.

Can you make 4 litres of water?

Yes.

First of all, fill 3 l bucket and transfer it into 5 l bucket. Now, fill 3 l bucket again and fill 5 l up to the top. As there is only 2 l space there, remaining 1 lr will remain in 3 l bucket.

Now, empty 5 l bucket and transfer this 1 l from 3 l bucket to empty 5 l bucket. Refil 3 l bucket and transfer it again to 5 l bucket.

Now, you have 4 l water in 5 l bucket.

Sorry, I cannot do in the tab. That option does not available in the mobile version.

With love,
Sanjay

That two-buckets-riddle is a well-known one.

I’m still waiting for the answer to my last riddle (“Two Liars”). Can you solve that riddle? Or shall I already post the solution?

[tab]A simple and promising advice:

Go through all ten examples. Look what logically happens (a) if the five persons are no liars and (b) if the five persons are liars. Then you will ascertain that only two and who of the five persons are liars.[/tab]

What always murmurs but never talks, Always runs but never walks, Has a bed but never sleeps, Has a mouth but never speaks

[tab]A river.[/tab]