Riddles

You can’t know what understanding problems other people might have. I wasn’t talking about you or I (necessarily - unless what I posted wasn’t right). When some people read:

“If C is true then X is false”
as a lie, they think it means that
“If C is true then X is true”.

Technically it wouldn’t mean that, but people not used to harder core logic issues are used to speaking to each other differently.

Yes, I know, but they can ask, if they are not sure, or/and guess and try till such time as they know the solution.

Yes. You are “on the wrong riddle”.

No. You are not “close”.

No. I am sure that you were not referring to the first riddle but to the second riddle.

You have 2 empty buckets.

One 5 litre bucket and one 3 litre bucket.

You can fill either bucket with a tap of water.

You must fill the bucket to the top if you use a tap.

You can use the water of one bucket to fill another bucket.

You can’t use a measuring device.

Can you make 4 litres of water?

Yes.

First of all, fill 3 l bucket and transfer it into 5 l bucket. Now, fill 3 l bucket again and fill 5 l up to the top. As there is only 2 l space there, remaining 1 lr will remain in 3 l bucket.

Now, empty 5 l bucket and transfer this 1 l from 3 l bucket to empty 5 l bucket. Refil 3 l bucket and transfer it again to 5 l bucket.

Now, you have 4 l water in 5 l bucket.

Sorry, I cannot do in the tab. That option does not available in the mobile version.

With love,
Sanjay

That two-buckets-riddle is a well-known one.

I’m still waiting for the answer to my last riddle (“Two Liars”). Can you solve that riddle? Or shall I already post the solution?

[tab]A simple and promising advice:

Go through all ten examples. Look what logically happens (a) if the five persons are no liars and (b) if the five persons are liars. Then you will ascertain that only two and who of the five persons are liars.[/tab]

What always murmurs but never talks, Always runs but never walks, Has a bed but never sleeps, Has a mouth but never speaks

[tab]A river.[/tab]

[tab]Mo[/tab]

lol I just noticed that the statements are things that the people themselves are saying. That changes everything.

The fact that you used a tab is evidence that you Googled the answer. The riddle was really a test of honesty which you failed! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Yes, that changes everything. But, it is not clear from the language of the riddle whether one should take the statements in that way or not. One may also think that they are talking about any past event but not lying now in those statements. That is how i considered that.

with love,
sanjay

Ok. Right. Arminius I tied one one the night before. It was the second riddle, now, am I “close”?

In addition I would like to post a riddle of my own, but here is the thing, about clarification of rules pertaining to this. Must one poster participate in a previous riddle, before asking questions about that or any riddle posting?

Can one post a new riddle, without participating in one or more or all riddles?

In other words do the rules of propriety prevent a poster or any other ILP member, who may or may not have followed some or any post, to post a new riddle?
This is why, I felt reluctant to even ask about the outcome or riddle number two.

If all of the above apply, then it could be assumed that all of the points made could be answered with
A “yes”

And if so, again, is ‘Leibnitz’ the proper answer?

platopuppy, it was an easy riddle
and we use tabs to avoid spoiling the riddle to others
quit being a tool

Ok Hegel, (blush), never mind.

obe go ahead and post a riddle if you want to

arminius I have a question,
does a lie mean that the opposite of the statement is true, or simply that the entire statement is struck out?

Thanks, but there are two problems, one I am still fiendishly attached to authority, and feel Arminius should give me the go ahead, and second, I have to
Make it out out of an already published incident, which incidentally is not yet in a form , sufficiently clear to qualify.
however, thanks for that, but will try. The fact that it has been published (here) , in only an open ended form of suggesting for an analysis, will not deter me, now that this is somewhat clear. However, it is yet premature to guess on my part, as to when this can be done. I only asked as an exploratory , were this to take place.

I am having problems with it because, it seems almost opportunistic, an involvement, without little prior interest.

But I am going to work on it, and try to get into other riddles in the interim.

lol obe you can be so adorable sometimes

Perhaps that’s a paradox in it’s self .I did say it implies a call to suggestion. But that may Not raise to the level of a riddle.

Thanks for the complement ,Pho, anyway.