5 Insane Ways Words Can Control Your Mind

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Moderator: Only_Humean

Forum rules
Forum Philosophy

Re: 5 Insane Ways Words Can Control Your Mind

Postby objet petit a » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:23 pm

@OH:
Where there not 5 chapters at first?
Phase one, man objectifies in two cardinal numbers two collections he has counted; phase two, with these numbers he realizes the act of adding them up.
~Immanuel Kant
objet petit a

Postby Only_Humean » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:16 pm

objet petit a wrote:@OH:
Where there not 5 chapters at first?

There still are, over 2 pages.

The biology of purpose keeps my nose above the surface.
- Brian Eno
Only_Humean
ILP Legend

Postby Phoebus » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:07 pm

That was a very interesting read. Does anyone have any suggestions for possible further reading into how language underpins our cognitive processing? (Ideally drawing philosophical conclusions from it and being newer than the essay that appears at the end of Orwell's 1984).
Doomed to see what is illuminated, never the light.
Phoebus

Postby Only_Humean » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:34 pm

Phoebus wrote:That was a very interesting read. Does anyone have any suggestions for possible further reading into how language underpins our cognitive processing? (Ideally drawing philosophical conclusions from it and being newer than the essay that appears at the end of Orwell's 1984).

http://www.edge.org/3rd_culture/borodit ... index.html

The biology of purpose keeps my nose above the surface.
- Brian Eno
Only_Humean
ILP Legend

Postby Phoebus » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:59 am

Thank you
Doomed to see what is illuminated, never the light.
Phoebus

Postby Tab » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:57 am

I read Cracked.com quite often - It's surprisingly good for cog-sci links.
Click Logo For Blog
Tab
Deeply Shallow

Postby Kriswest » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:43 pm

An animal such as a dog, cat, horse bird all have language, they also can develop new sounds or reactions for new things they encounter repeatedly. This is language it develops just as ours does. when we encounter something or think something we reference our past experience and language to describe it then we give it a common label to be able to communicate and teach. Animals do this also. That they don't use words as we do does not mean they don't have a set of sounds and body actions that is language. when we speak face to face our body is used to communicate as much as words are used. Our experience with words/concepts does control our minds, it controls how much and how we learn. the less interaction we have with new the less tools we have. languge can inhibit our personslity and growth. Animals rarely ever step out of the box combine that with a diet that inhibits brain function they have not developed a complexity of language. they simply have no need to , there is no variety ,very little curiosity and their territory rarely changes.
It may seem insane that something like language can control us but when you look at animals then us it does not seem so insane it seems right.

I will be bitchy, cranky, sweet, happy, kind, pain in the ass all at random times from now on. I am embracing my mentalpause until further notice. Viva lack of total control!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is not a test,,, this is my life right now. Have a good day and please buckle up for safety reasons,, All those in high chairs, go in the back of the room.
Kriswest
ILP Legend

Previous

Return to Philosophy