What if there was no religion?

For intuitive and critical discussions, from spirituality to theological doctrines. Fair warning: because the subject matter is personal, moderation is strict.

Moderator: Dan~

Postby Youngman18 » Wed Sep 25, 2002 1:09 am

huh?
"Only a life lived for others is a life worth while ."

"Its all relative" -JJohnson
Youngman18

Postby Brad » Sat Sep 28, 2002 2:50 am

Well, except for accidently omitting the word 'rid' in the first clause, I think it's fairly clear. There are many who argue that religion is the problem and God is the solution, "I believe in God but I don't believe in religion." I like religion, I have no use for God.
Brad

Postby Imagistar » Sun Oct 20, 2002 6:46 pm

jawaad

An extremely difficult question.

In my opinion, without faith in an unknown God, we would wind up as obssesive/compulsive neurotics, worshipping a known god (fundamentalism), ourselves (narcissism), the state (Nazism, fascism), an economic system (communism, capitalism), a cult, evil, science or anything else that has the power to symbolize our immortality.

Some of us would become enamored of intoxicants.

Man needs to identify with something that is bigger than he is, that is outside of himself, that precedes him and proceeds him, to transcend the fears of his mortal ego.

In Thus Spake Zarathustra, Zarathustra encounters a band of atheists on the mountainside. He doubts their depth, but he invites them to his cave for supper. Sure enough, by nightfall, they are on their hands and knees praying to a jackass ("...What magnificent ears you have...").

Ayn Rand abolished God -- then immediately worshipped capitalism ("...What magnificent ears you have...").

Communists think they have abolished the unknown God (our faith in Whom neutralizes our primal fear). In reality, they have made the fatal mistake of giving Him a face.
Imagistar

Re: What if there was no religion?

Postby AnonymousPro » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:49 am

I think that if there was no religion, then people would no longer be 'confined' to it, and then things like murder would happen and the world would no longer be a safe place. Not that it is, at the moment, anyways. :D :) :wink: =D>
AnonymousPro

Previous

Return to Religion and Spirituality