Dr Rowan Williams

i’m not sure if this should be in this forum, as i’m more interested in his stance on political issues than on religion, but as he’s the new archbishop of canterbury, i thought i’d put it in here.

according to the bbc news,

i was curious as to what everyone thought of this.

I’d say it’s refreshing to have a somewhat more “liberal” and “modern” guy in the role. Not anti-gay, not anti-pagan, not anti-antidisestablishmentarianist (yeees!).

I can see problems down the line when he collides with the more “traditional” christians, the threaet of splits within the CoE are even more heightened now than when Carey was in charge. This could lead to all sorts of breakaway sects, who may feel compelled to be even MORE hardline to counteract Williams, until we have our own version of Jerry Falwell, which must be a bad thing.

Your thoughts mirror mine Hiren. I’ve known about this man for a while, and he appears to share many views of mine. He must be good.
It is a real fear, that his opponents will become more hardline. He will certainly make regular appearances in the public domain, saying provocative things that stir the ‘establishment’ and the normative way. I know he was tight with Don Cupitt. Maybe he’ll say during his reign that ‘God is dead’. I smell controversial comments around the corner.

Shows I haven’t been to Holy Eucharist in a while…there’s a new Archbishop of Canterbury? Very cool, tip to that. Sounds like the right kinda person for the Anglican faith. Will go well with Episcopalians in America, seeing how we’re very liberal by Christian standards.

liberalism is the way forward. in fact, i think we should force everyone to be liberal.

My theology teacher knew the previous Archbishop and he always seemed to portray him as very camp if not gay. So if he was anti-gay, that could have been a problem. :confused:

I’m undecided on this issue because if someone believes in God and that his divine will has been revealed through the Bible, how can they possibly say “oh but we need to be more liberal” and just change all the rules. Personally I think any fundamentalist/dogmatic organisation will eventually do more harm than good but there are some people who you have to admire for staying true to what they believe without being tempted by the corruption of today’s society. You may well say that dogmatic religions give rise to the militant terrorists such as on Al-Qaeda/Taliban etc. However, I have a Muslim friend who is the most polite, gentlemanly, thoughtful, intelligent person you will ever meet. He is a devoted Muslim and does not bow to any temptation which must be so difficult to do living in a non-Islamic society.

So perhaps it is not fundamentalism that gives rise to terrorist behaviour? As with all establisments, the more liberal they become, the closer to relativism they get, sometimes considered a bad thing because it allows for any belief, all of which are valid. You can imagine the next Archbishop saying, "well you can believe in Jesus as the Saviour, or you can believe in this bit of cheese as the Saviour. "

Who’s the Saviour? You Decide.