Church vs State

Anyone here feel that the nations (whichever you happen to live in, USA, China, etc.) or the UN for that matter, will ever do away with all religion in that country (or maybe just the most prominent religion in that particular area, Christianity, Islam, etc.) ?

Perhaps, when they look back and realize how religion (mainly Christianity) has been the cause of just about every war ever fought, they might realize that the world would be a better, more peaceful place if there were no religion ?

Or would religion have to do something else/worse to really tick off the governments for the government to step in and “take care” of religion ?

Any thoughts ?

Ice,
I like your signature, very logical and funny.
About your post, I honestly think as time goes on we will do away with all religions…utopia here we come.

Indeed, great signature

What worries me the most, after reading the post about Islam, is that people seem to be looking for repression as a way of sorting out their lives. I can understand why it happens but is not something i can digest very well.

I hope that one day all religions vanish from not only the State but from the world. But seems very difficult as many laws are based on religion and its morality.

Personally I think religion needs reformation, despite all the evil its done, it has also been a great help in the progress of the world. Some people who practice religion are good people, and it allows them to do good deeds that they might not have otherwise had the possibility to achieve.

To ban religion would take away personal liberties. So long as religion is not given direct power of issue of state it should be allowed to give comment on both political and moral questions. The rules of a State should not follow a single religious moral code but a more unilateral code. I believe the future of morality will have to come to us in the form of a UN declaration on ‘The Dignity of Human Morality’ which all States should use as there basis for drawing up laws. While allowing the individual to practise any moral code they wish, so long as it does not infringe on the basic level guaranteed by this UN Declaration.

What follows is taken from another thread on the future religion, that might be of interest.

Just for the record, I’m an agnostic with a leaning to the non-existence of a God. I think all religions are social constructs, which both help and hinder humanity.

Pax Vitae

I thought that communists had tried to ban religions in their countries?

The sig is quite funny, but logically flawed, though u probably know that :slight_smile:

my country, Sweden, recently did sever its ties with the protestant church which has been the official tate church since the 17th century. so much the better for all of us, i’d say.

/thanatos, previously known as “guest”

The state can never completely destroy religion. They can destroy every visible relation, but they will always be there. There will always be religion in government, or at least in democracy, because it is impossible to make sure every officail is not religous. Even if it was, there would still be religious officails because the religious people would be sure to vote him/her in. Moreso, in electing mostly non-religious peope a nation faces the risk of having elected people with unsure, or bad, morals. So, no matter what, their will always be some form of religion in government, and perhaps it is preferable.

Further, people need religion. Surely, some people can live with their own believe, and have no need for a group. But other people would not survive without being told what to do, and following with a group. It would be quite a burden for them to have to think for themselves in every situation, not having a holy wo/man to seek guidance from, and not having a set of morals to follow. Without religion many people would be as ants are without their queen.

banning religion is …well silly. The so-called communist countries made a huge mistake.
I dislike religion and believe that the world would be better off without, but i wouldn’t BAN religion at once. You need to teach people out of it and banning just make it worse.