Science Cannot Replace Religion

Dr. Satanical

I prefer comedy than tragedy, comedy could make our fellows happy.

Please do not afraid comedy. It is fun, if it is made using good taste and if the main purpose is not to wound your neighbor.

Antti

Darksword

We have a tiny fraction of our creator inside our soul, this makes you to read this forum which header is Religion and type answers to the issues. If you feel free to find your inner guide, you will also KNOW.

Religion cannot replace the science because they study different issues.

Antti :wink:

Many thanks for the feedback. I again tried to make the original column more clear by adding some paragaphs. We do not need to agree with all the issues but I feel important to decrease the possibility of misunderstanding with each others.

Antti

It’s always the same thing…I always wish I met a person (a SINGLE) person capable of writing SOMETHING ORIGINAL about god and religion itself, but I think that’s too much to ask. Guy, you say (?) that we know only one percent of the exiting natural laws, but affirm (?) that the one behind ALL (100%) natural laws is god? I think that’s not quite clear. Of course, everything that you could say about “your” Lord, your pious, very magnificent Lord, is that, OK? Well, Science has tried, but can’t even understand the wordl we live in, so there must be something “greater” that can explain everything…but of course (I am sorry to tell you that), god does not expalin anything. You use beautiful words, but looks almost like a fanatical. That “now and forever” sounds a bit fanatical, doesn’t it? Unhappily “forever” does’n seem to exist, even “now” doesn’t seem to exist. So, I think you’d better try to find another way (a better one) of explaining our existences by god’s existence.

Good.,.have you stolen that from some Internet cliché guide ? Sounds dangerously familiar. So, my body is not what determines what I think and do…it is my “soul”, my “true being” taht determines everything that I do. A clear and good explanation for us to spend ALMOST ALL OUR TIME thinking only about…our physical problems, our well-being and…OUR BODY!! You have never read Sartre, have you? Maybe it is about time for you to know what conscience (which you call “soul”) is. That’s nothing to do what your conceptions, I am assured.

Good. So canibalistic indian fanaticals don’t please me. They’re UGLY (o Lord, what a nietzschean sentence) and they don’t please ME. I don’t know if they please god, cause I can’t really know god’s will. So, truth be told, it’s ME who don’t like them, so I say that their “spiritual” values (spiritual values that serve ONLY to satisfy dirty, uselles flesh) are false, and MINE are true. In honest words, that would be: “Their religion is false, mine is true, only because it is mine, and things are just like this”. Unhappily, things are not that simple. First, let us analyse religious “values” and see if they can really make human beings better…

Based upon religion, I mustn’t help my fellow because he needs help, but because I need to fight for my salvation. I’m living in an artificial, false world. I need to fight to go to the “true” world…so I ought to obey to my parents, to the laws and to the social conventions ONLY because I want to go to heaven. And, of course, if I don’t make such things, I’ll burn in hell, or will live “eternally in the darkness” (:roll::roll::roll:). Are we speaking the same language? So, let’s summarise that up: I am good cause I want to go to heaven and I must avoid hell. I doesn’t care about anything more than going to heaven. It doesn’t matter poverty, war and hunger. All that matters is going to heaven. So, I can do ANYTHING and be a TRULLY inhuman being, as far as I follow the instructions of my “Lord” I’ll go to heaven, I am good and that’s all that matter. Go to hell with that fucking hypocrisy. All things can be done, all things can be JUSTIFIED that way. There’s no justice, no love, no
really care about humankind. You say that life isn’t reduced to the flesh, that it is “greater” but you summarise it up so simply? You’d better think well…

Of course, there COULD be really values and really morals if we really fight for that. But as far as all a man has to do is being a fool or a hypocrite and “wait for heaven and god’s justice”, there will never be any form of TRUE morality.

Well, of course you know which religion is true and which is false, don’t you? Things are really that simple. Pretende that Luteran reformation DIDN’T GUIDE to injustice, death and hatred towards the Catholic and the Jews. Pretend that Christianity (or Islamism or even Judaism and Buddhism) never would guide us towards hatred and intolerance. Live in your fairy tale world. As I have already stated, good explanatios are much to ask for you, aren’t they?

I think we could give it up the polite talk and be clearer…how many atheists do you think we could burn at a stake this time.

Talking about atheism and skepticism, you should really KNOW what atheism and skepticism are. Atheism is my only pride, and the only friends that I have ever had were also atheists (or at least agnostics or skeptics), so I think that I have a reason to defend such a position. That doesn’t matter for you, of course.

I will finish it concisely cause I hadn’t much time: If we have arrived at this point (chating through a modern computer) to simply look behind and search for ancient teachings which really teach nothing, so I think we’re loosing our time here. We’d better ALL commit suicide. You could end that so fine…but end with…religious preaching??? :unamused::roll::roll: “Sooner or later Jesus will come back and you’ll have to ask forgiveness for your sins”. It’s (again) simply that way, isn’t it?

The phenomena are not themselves new: merely newly discovered.

Science does not “specify” natural laws: it documents and analyses them.

Why do you claim this?

Why do you think that the big bang is a kind of reason, instead of the earliest state of affairs? Indeed, what kind of a thing do you think that reason is such that it can exist without life?

I have never heard of any scientist who claimed that life existed fourteen billion years ago. And what scientific evidence do you think that there is in favour of the existence of “the spirit” (whatever you mean by that), let alone evidence that it existed at the time of the big bang?

The facts do not change: what people believe in relation to them might.

Upon what reasoning do you base that bizarre claim?

Neither can the fact of abstraction, the laws of mathematics nor whether or not there is such a thing as equivalence; that does not mean, however, that they are incapable of reasoned analysis, nor that any such thing as a deity is entailed by them.

What is the basis of your claim that there is such a thing as a “human spirit”, and what, precisely, do you contend that one is?

How is that a consequence of the previous proposition?

What, precisely, do you think that “the voice of the material is”? What is “the material”, do you contend, such as it is meaningful to conceive of it having a voice?

Why do you think that there is such a thing as the human spirit in the first place?

What do you think that right and wrong are such that their nature is incapable of empirical analysis?

Different religions purport to answer those questions (in different, conflicting, ways); but there is no reason to believe that any of those answers are correct.

That all assumes that there is such a thing as a soul that can have issues and be made happy. What evidence is there to support such a contention?

Why do you claim that? Many people believe false things despite of overwhelming evidence to the contrary, including precisely the belief that there is a deity.

In what sense are any of those things evidence for the existence of an entity with all the characteristics of a deity?

How does the proposition that any particular person exists by itself entail, as you claim, that there exists a deity?

Why do you think that? And, in any event, even if that was true, how does it follow from that that the mere fact of rigorous empirical analysis (science) entails blind faith in anything?

That is circular: it assumes that “God’s Adjuster” (whatever that is) is a conclusive reason to believe in the existence of a deity, yet merely assumes that there are valid reasons to believe in the “Adjuster” in the first place, which there are not.

What evidence is there for that?

The truth depends soeley on the correspondence between the proposition in question and that state of affairs with which it purports to correspond.

Why does that follow?

Why do you claim that the accounts are logical? Do you claim that they are true? If so, what is the basis for that contention?

Upon what basis do you contend that that is merely an assumption, rather than a conclusion validly drawn from evidence?

And what, in turn, evidence is there to support that proposition?

Why not? And what exactly do you mean by “meet fear and disappointments” anyway? In what sense are fear and disappointments the kinds of things that can be met?

What evidence is there for this? And, even if this was the case, how does this entail that people live for ever?

What do you mean by “face” here, exactly? And, again, how would this entail immortality even if it were true?

How so? And, as with all of these propositions, what is the connexion with the immortality that you postulate?

And the same applies to these, too.

Whyever do you claim that?

Would failure to reach those targets, though, not be an error that would render the universe imperfect?

Why do you claim that? And what of philosophy about whether or not there is a deity? And what exactly do you mean by “without” here?

Why do you claim that? In any event, philosophy does not aim to provide relief: it aims to provide true understanding.

It is not fair to criticise without being specific and providing detailed reasons.

Einstein said something like “Religion (moral values if you like) without science is blind, Science without religion (moral values if you like) is lame.”

I find a complimentary relationship between religion and science, minus the institutions that took role as scientists and God’s spokespeople on the state of the cosmos.

Oh dear Antii, please don’t make an appeal to popularity or tradition.

An appeal to tradition support slavery just as easily as God.

An appeal to popularity supports useing penacillin on viruses. (Which doesn’t work, btw.)

More importantly, neither confers and real justification to a claim.

That somebody famous said something does not make it true. Do you have any arguments to support your claim?

jamespetts wrote:

No I don’t. I agree with him however. An argument for this claim would drag in metaphysics and an adherence to something greater than us…and we wouldn’t want that now would we?

Science will replace religion when it has lost its way…
Science will replace religion when it stops to follow its own principles…
Science will replace religion when it deems itself ruler over people…
Science will replace religion when hypocritical most priests (scientists) seek only glory for themselves over their own work…
Science will replace religion when it asks its disciples to accept its doctrine (theories) without proof…

How I will weep if that day ever arrives. :cry:

Whyever not?

jamespetts

You gave lot of interesting feedback, many thanks. I should like to discuss in more detail and from many perspectives of your comments but I have no time reseurces now. However, I try to give some short comments.

Antti: You are right, philosophy is aiming to true understanding. People are also looking for releif and survival from the philosophy and ethics, however, without the God they cannot offer this salvation.

Antti: I feel important to take also the religion into account in the science because religion and faith are aspects which affect on the development on the science and conclusions. Too many research fellows try to forgot this aspect totally.

Antti: My purpose is not to appeal popularity or tradition. I do not know the reason, but I want to DO something when I meet ideas, actions or opinions which are not OK in my mind. Writing is one way to affect on these evils. I feel that too many people are silent and do not open their mouth when their meet the social oppression.

thirst4metal

Well, one of the few things what we can count on in this world is that our God loves us.

Antti

If god really loves us, why was he so cruel, so fucking cruel to make us so empty, so sad, so terribly useless?

jamespetts

Your were looking for evidences of God and eternal life in your long list of comments. This make me reconsider my thoughs. The situation is really absurd:

• The atheist cannot see the evidences of the God and eternal life before he/she has the faith but he cannot have the faith because he cannot see the evidences.

• The believer sees the evidences but he do not need them anymore because he/she has the faith.

In any case in this decision situation the king and the slave are equal. Atleast this is the great thing.

Antti

Fabiano

I have pondered this very same question and the most logical reason what I have found is that in the cotton wool we could not strive for love, justice, mercy and forgiveness. We could not understand what is the pain and suffering in the paradise.

Antti

Many thanks for your comments.

I made again some revision to the original text using the comments and feedback what I have got. I hope that the latest version is slightly better than the earlier one.

Antti