...And how about you?

Hello to you,

What is your religion, if any?
Whether you participate in religion or not, what are some of the outstanding factors that you can recognize as playing decisive roles in your religious status of today?

Sorry to disappoint, but I shall answer at a later date.

(Throws down the ninja smoke, and evades before the protests begin.)

I am a Buddhist, more Tibetian Buddhist than any other… the reason I am well, is it just kind of fell into my lap. I was raised in a Christian household and spent many years being an atheist. I had a self defined life philosophy so to speak and basic beliefs about life and such than one day someone who knew me well (christian themselves) gave me some books on buddhism and I learned my beliefs were all in there so it was pretty easy thing that fell into my lap.

Mine is sarcasm. :wink:

I do not practice organized religion. I do study religion and rape them of there good aspects to use for myself. (Then toss away the crap)

From eight yrs. to sixteen yrs. I was very much a Christian. I was brought up non-denominational Christian in OKC. Some of the things I have taken from this environment include: listening, evaluating the things being taught/presented, and the liberating/Gnostic-like experience of praise and worship. (I have since learned how I can attain this without Christianity- namely music in general)

Around the age of sixteen, I started struggling with my religion. The main problem I found was that I simply didn’t agree with its morality; and unlike most Christians, I decided that I cannot rightfully keep the name of ‘Christian’ for the sake of spirituality when I disagree with its major tenants. (To this day, this kind of religion bothers me) Soon thereafter I came across Beyond Good and Evil. This is still one of the most influential books in my life.

At the age of eighteen, I was now proclaiming to be an atheist. I was anti-religion in general. Yet I still enjoyed studying religion (any religion I could find) and philosophy (mainly Nietzsche). I had come across The Satanic Bible and realized that this was the closest religion to complimenting my personal beliefs. I would say that this is due largely to the influence of Nietzsche and my need for a spiritual enema.

Currently, at age twenty-three, I still have an affinity for Satanism. I have just recently come to realize that my aggressive anti-religion was simply an overcorrection. I still feel that organized religion isn’t for me but I no longer push others to this like a zealot, though I do still enjoy being sacrilegious from time to time. At the same time, I appreciate the fact that I was brought up in a Christian home. If I had not, I may have never evaluated beliefs with the scrutiny I did/do, I may have never come across Nietzsche and I wouldn’t have had to ‘earn’ my current worldview.

Well I guess that is it. Alright, you can wake up now!

saintanthony9,

I’d like to meet you in another 23 years.

A

Take off the silly rubber mask, you have an affinity for:

Humanistic-hedonisitic-Anti-theistic individualism

But that doesn’t sound so imposing now does it… :wink:

Oops - forgot my religion: Autotheism. :smiley:

Cute. :wink:

:cry:
Damnit! You got me in the emoticon mood.

what???
I have my suspicions, but i will give the benifit of the doubt.

Guess!

We like our rubber masks, they keep us from being spotted :stuck_out_tongue:

Almost. How about Humanistic-hedonistic-natural law abiding-antitheistic-meritocratic-individualistic-egotheism bound together with the strings of rational self interest.
Ok, maybe not…that’s a real mouthful. Lets just stick with Satanism :slight_smile:

Thank you saintanthony9. You do realise that I’m simply expressing that the growing isn’t over yet, that I said I would like to meet you in 23 years from now means that I find you interesting now and that your current world view will change - when it gets really interesting. I know that sounds arrogant, but I don’t really have any other way of putting it. Another way of putting it is that the story isn’t over yet, so far you have simply developed the foundation. Your story is just beginning…

A

You will not believe how long I spent trying to get an amusing (preferably rude) anagram/acronym out of the above. Can’t be done.

Diabolical. :evilfun:

Erm - yes, people seldom spot other people wearing devil masks…

“Hey - Joe, there’s something weird about Mike in IT, isn’t there…?”
“Can’t say I’ve noticed…”
“I mean - there’s that cape he wears, with the hood on rainy days.”
“Kids eh…? These new fashions, I can’t keep up.”
“Then there’s that big, red, pointy mask he wears all the time…”
“Oh that Mike…? - that’s what’s been bothering you…? - I was talking to Vera in Human resources - Mike’s got photophobia - can’t stand sunlight on his skin… We took him on through the equal-opportunities scheme…”
“Phew… I was worried there for a minute. Anyway, did you get me that Black Rooster I asked you for…?”
“Yeah - I left it on your desk… Why…?”
“Oh - you know, late for my monthly sacrifice to Mammon.”
[size=75][Joe punches him lightly on the shoulder][/size]
“You’ll never make Grand-Master that way you big dybbuk”