reincarnation: Indian and Western views

How do you explain the fact that for Indians, reincarnation is seen as a curse, while for a Westerner, it is a happy fate?

I would say that it is because Indians emphasize death (if we are reborn, we will re-die), while we, Westerners, emphasize life. Perhaps also because we are taught to be more optimistic than Indians, and to perceive selectively what is enjoyable. Perhaps Indians have learnt to be more sensitive than we to bad aspects of life.

It is also because, to my mind, Indians have not undergone the influence of nihilistic views as much as in the West, views stating that soul is mortal. In other words, there was not a strong materialistic tradition in India which people could have been concerned with. For Indians, the view that death is the end of all was not taken as seriously as we did. The idea of immortality was, on the contrary, more natural than for us.

As a result, Westerners acquainted with rebirth are faced with a dilemma foreign to Indians: either total extinction or continuation of life. And they make up their mind: reincarnation.

Other thoughts?

first noble truth- life is suffering

to escape suffering (life) one needs to end the cycle of reincarnation

the indians understand this and see it as the goal, become nothing to end suffering…

westerners see it as a chance to do it again…

-Imp

…and the second noble truth is that the origin of suffering is attachment.

Westerners are attached to this life thinking that the ultimate is an opportunity to do it all over again only with more pleasure thinking they can escape suffering in this way.

This thread reminds me of a billboard advertising white river rafting in India. There was a picture of a tiny boat in a massive waterfall. The caption read: “There is always rebirth”. - only in India.

A