The importance of the words

Nick,
I understand what you say.

To clarify what I meant, I will a personification. If you are at God’s earlobe and I am at his finger, I would love to understand what you see from your perspective and am dying to share what I see from mine. The problem I have and I was sensing that you run into as well is that we communicate through words and sometimes they don’t suffice. If your experience of God is triune and mine singular and yet we touch the same God, you have something to impart that will expand my experience. Touching the earlobe or the finger is unimportant. One is not better than the other. I believe that God is all, and true living is the joy of reveling in the consciousness of being one with God. That is what I think Jesus meant by “life more abundant.”

All the best.

Hi Watelover

Intent is everything. If you want to share we can do it. Usually people just want to argue or justify their beliefs and it’s becoming increasingly rare to meet those that get greater satisfaction from trying to understand then in ridicule and condemnation. So we’ll give it a shot.

You do appear to come on strong but I guess it’s just style. I have this trouble myself appearing so matter of fact to many with concepts that are new and unusual. It’s like “who are you to think and say such things?” This is why I stress inner verification whenever possible. When trying to defend Paul’s description of our being as that of the “wretched man”, I know it is insulting so all I can do is suggest to look inside and see for yourself.

On my path though I can’t get off easy. The cause of hurt feelings or insult and the like is always in me so I can’t pass the buck and blame another. It took a few growls to see the good sense in that.

This is where we might have our first difficulty. You quoted Emerson’s observation of our bloated nothingness. I believe Paul to be right and if so, as we are, we are unable to partake in the God/Man relationship. It exists as a quality of re-birth.

Are you willing to discuss even though I am maintaining what may appear as a very depressing and unpleasant perspective?

On my path though I can’t get off easy. The cause of hurt feelings or insult and the like is always in me so I can’t pass the buck and blame another. It took a few growls to see the good sense in that.

Perhaps not so true a statement. The emperor gods were rather cheap as cows in comparison with Jove himself, Ceasar was made but nobody worshiped him. As for Octavian, I’d imagine that only small groups of pesants scattered around the country-side of Italy actually took the fruits to his temple and prayed full heatedly. I don’t think anyone in big towns brought the crap - tradition is tradition, nothing else. Surely nobody really knew much about him in the eastern provinces and the Egyptions must had hated him after what happend to their beloved queen, and the Gauls in the west were surely busing worshiping their own gods. So generally, to say that Octuvian was worshiped is a little mis-leading I’d say.

The autobiography proves that. But it serves to confirm the fact that being “gods” weren’t that holily a nice thing - people knew it in their hearts, so surely did the man himself and to spare all the pretencious crap that everybody has to follow, he’s falling in line with his usual nice-politics again. So Christians, the Romans no longer had the ego to accept some high divinities, howd hell you guys get so cheap and easy?

Dunamis,

The oldest existing Ancient Greek version of Luke 10:22 that I know of reads:

Oudeis ginosko tis huios esti ei me pater
No one knows who son is except father
Nothing

The above rendering is taken from texts dating between the 2nd and 5th centuries AD. I believe yours is in Traditional Greek and is a later variation. Please let me know if you have other information.

As far as your other thoughts I will try to get back to you later.

All the best.

Nick,

I think it is one of the weaknesses of our times and internet posting in general. God forbid that I should take responsibility for my word choice!

In times past, when people would write, their letters (whether to friends or family, male or female) would always open with expressions of love, concerns for children, family or spouses, news of what they were doing and interest in what the other person was up to. In this age of quick-paced response from one person who does not know the other person, combined with the tone that discourse takes on in these days – both in print, in person and on the airwaves – and we have an atmosphere in which it is difficult to establish trust and understanding. It is a challenge to any writer.

I absorbed your thoughts on Paul and the concept of the “wretched man”. You are right that I have difficulty with the concept. My difficulty is a metaphysical one. It is one of the concepts that I believe separates Paul and Jesus. Let me state my view first so that it does not appear that I an attacking yours.

I believe that I am a true Christian. By that I mean I believe in the principles and teachings of Jesus. I do not believe that he was nor is God. I do not believe in the Nicene Creed. Christianity existed prior to the Nicene Creed and exists today without accepting the Nicene Creed. I believe he was human. I do not believe that he was right all the time. I do not believe in rituals, Easter or Christmas. I could just as easily say that I am a Taoist. I find Lao-tse to be brilliant. I love to read him. He makes me laugh out loud at myself. I simply find Jesus’ understandings a bit more available to my particular way of thinking. I also think that I get a real kick out of turning Jesus’ words back on the religious that I know and then watch them twist themselves into corkscrews trying to interpret his words. But that is for another discussion.

I put my belief in Jesus teachings in the category of belief on the same level as my belief in Darwin’s Theory of Evolution. There are many places where Darwin may be off the mark in his thinking, but I believe in the overall theory and concept. He was just a man. His theories are human theories. His errors do not negate his entire work, nor does one have to accept his entire work as fact. That is why it is a theory. In that way, Jesus’ teachings about life are theories as well (as are Lao-tse’s). The difference is that we have Darwin’s exact words in their native tongue. We do not have Jesus’ in that way. I don’t know if I can say that I am a Jew, but I also believe that Moses passed on to us a transcendent concept of God.

You use the word re-birth, I use the word restore. To you if feels like moving forward, the discovery of something new. To me it feels like a going back, the return to something old. It is probably the same thing. I believe that in this realm, there is no time. All eternity exists in the moment. So I can think I am going back and being restored and you can think you are moving forward and being reborn. In actuality it is probably neither and both. It is simply our individual perception put into inadequate words. What both concepts have in common is change. Jesus actually said both, “Lest you be like a child you cannot enter the Kingdom of Heaven”, “Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.”

Jesus also so, “As you believe, so it is done.” That is my issue with Paul’s concept of the “wretched man”. If I believe I am wretched, then I am. This is where Moses comes in for me. Whenever I hear the words “I am”, I immediately think of Moses, Exodus 3, the burning bush and the name of God. I know I appear like a fanatic with this, but to me it is seminal. If Moses’ verbalization of God’s name is I AM, then what is blasphemy (taking the name of the lord in vain)? I say that it means you shouldn’t use the words “I am” in a way that is false. There is a commandment about bearing false witness against thy neighbor. This commandment is about what you call yourself. How you identify yourself. I look at Jesus, “as you believe, so it is done” as a similar statement. The statement “I am a wretched man” would be blasphemous if held up against the background of what Jesus said. (I am not attacking here; I am explaining my thoughts and understandings.) I believe that we are all in and of God. In that way we are perfect.

Another thought just came to me – if I were to put it in words that I could understand, is what is meant by “wretched man” really the same as “wretched state”? Is it a description of our state of existence when we are disconnected from spirit in mind? Is a wretched man one who does not comprehend his own divinity? I shy away from harsh words when describing mankind. Is this simply a harsh word (to my ear) used by Paul to describe the consequence of a place in mind? Is it a variation on the way I see hell? That state of consciousness that is invested only in fear and the material world? Where our spiritual connection (the Kingdom of God within us) is buried? If I am close enough, then my disagreement with Paul on this matter is semantics – words are so important to me but often such a waste of time. Am I close on this?

You said this twice and I don’t think I understand it enough to respond. The syntax is difficult for me. So is the metaphor (growls). I am not saying this in any other way except to indicate what I think are the reasons for my lack of understanding (of course I am leaving out my own limited intellect, but what the hell). I know this may sound condescending, but it is not meant that way in any manner, shape or form. It would be helpful to me if you were to express these thoughts in simple sentences – as if you were explaining it to a child. It is so difficult for me to discern the depths of meaning sometimes that I need the other person to rephrase to help me. One thing I have noticed with regard to these kinds of communications is that very often people respond (in length and with great emotion) to something that the other person never said. So when I don’t get something I am going to ask for a greater explanation. If I do this in a brief sentence like, “I don’t know what you’re talking about”, it sounds like an attack. I am not attacking, I am asking so I can understand.

All the best.

Water.,

Please cite your source here. (I am reading from the New Testament eds. Brooke Foss Westcott, Fenton John Anthony Hort, and from Eberhard Nestle’s Novum Testamentum Graece which matches it.) Secondly, if you would please explain the meaning of the text if “the son” should be translated “a son”? The passage is particularly about priviledged information, the distinction between his private access to “all things” which were “given to” him which he chooses [bouletai] to reveal to others.

Dunamis

deleted

Dunamis,

You are correct, the Greek you reference is very clear. However the oldest extant texts of the Greek are not as clear. You dismiss the fact that in all probability Jesus spoke in Aramaic and Ancient Hebrew (this is if he existed at all of course). You dismiss the fact that is undisputed: That we have no record that Jesus ever wrote down any of this. You simply state this is what we have and that’s all.

Before you dismiss an idea as “ridiculous” before trying to completely understand it, see whose company you may be keeping. The same was said by the informed community about Pasteur who was ridiculous enough to think that little tiny creatures got into you and made you sick – he called it “Germ Theory”— or Semmelweis who was uninformed enough to ignorantly suggest that doctors should wash their hands before performing surgery. There are many theories that have been dealt with in the same way. In fact, right now, Charles Darwin’s Theory of Evolution is under attack in a similar manner that you object to my proposition.

By the way, if Jesus really thought he was god, how could he say, “All these things I do, you too can do, and more…”?

In answer to your other question, for the most part I use the Codex Bezae. It is a wonderful reference both in the Greek and Latin. It is available in hardback, but I have never looked for it online. When there is time I will check that with older texts, but that can be tedious work.

All the best.

Water.,

You dismiss the fact that in all probability Jesus spoke in Aramaic and Ancient Hebrew (this is if he existed at all of course).

I do not dismiss the fact, I foreclose it. We do not have those words, and to hypothesize about them, especially under the rubric of calling Aramaic allegorical –and therefore licensing you to an entire imagination of meanings- is simply dreaming up meanings, behind meanings, risking projection and even further inventing a Christ.

You simply state this is what we have and that’s all.

This is exactly what I state. For you to assert that Paul altered Jesus’ message, but to infer that Jesus’ message was in Aramaic and therefore something you or anyone else as access to, in contradiction to the erroneous gospels is really to stretch credibility. You have no text. The only thing we can do is compare Paul’s texts to the texts of the extant Gospels, and if you do you will discover a Christ that in the Gospels who asserted his own unique and powerful position between humanity and “the Father”.

Before you dismiss an idea as “ridiculous” before trying to completely understand it, see whose company you may be keeping.

You pretend to know that I have not considered these arguments. I am rather familiar with them. I dismissed them after looking into them because they seem unsubstantiated and motivated by pre-conceived ends. All your references to dismissed theories that were later accepted is the kind of reasoning that grants “proof” to any theory at all, an absolutely substanceless point. Copernicus was not believed, therefore I must be right is bizarre reasoning.

By the way, if Jesus really thought he was god, how could he say, “All these things I do, you too can do, and more…”?

Instead of bringing up another quote, please stick to the text I brought before you, John 15:5. You contend the “I am” is some vague reference to ancient Hebrew, yet you seem unable to account for the very same phrase in the vine and branches parable just a few verses later, where it occurs beside “me” and “mine”. You yourself mentioned that the parables must represent the closest thing to Jesus’ own teachings. Please do interpret this text and the way “I am” is being used in it.

As to your new verse, again, I do not know what the exact meaning of “believed himself to be god” is, but as the vine parable which follows it says, we are absolutely powerless without him, so all the things one would do would be things that we only do through him. Read the rest of the verse you quoted because it actually makes this rather clear:

Truly, truly I tell you, the one believing in me will do the works that I do, and greater than these he will do…because I am going to the Father, and whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Son may glorify the father." John 14:12-13

In other words, you can do what I have done, and greater things even because I am going to Heaven and if you ask the Father in my name, I will do these things[poieso], as the Son. Rather than being a text that asserts that all or even some are as great as he, rather he asserts that from heaven he himself will do those “greater things”, that are asked for.

Dunamis

Waterlover

This is what makes a discussion like this so difficult. It would require a lot of ground work to find the place at which we agree and then develop out from it.

We define a Christian differently

What you call a Christian, I call a pre-Christian. Would you define a pianist as a person who only believes in the principles and teachings of piano theory? I don’t think so. A pianist must be able to play the piano and not just believe in principles.

As I understand it, a person must be able to live by the commandments from an emotional realization of their value and not just know them. So for me, a Christian is one who lives in accordance with the teaching. A pre-Christian is one who knows the teaching but as yet is unable to live it, and a non-Christian is one who has no interest in it.

Consider this from the points of view of an acorn and an oak… The acorn is born again as an oak but from the position of the oak, the acorn is restored as an oak. What they have in common though is a change of being. The acorn and oak exist at different levels of being.

Unless a person becomes open as of a child without preconception and unattached to the husk of the acorn or the earthly existence but instead be able to feed off of it through its impartial experience, the kernel of life within cannot begin its transformation.

This is why it is so imperative not to believe anything but verify for yourself. “Know thyself.” Don’t believe experts but instead “Know Thyself.” It must be your impartial experience for it to have any value.

We do it all the time. We are not “I am”. As a plurality we exist as “we are.” Each part of “we” temporarily asserts itself as “I” and the continuum gives the impression of unity.

The commandment of taking the name of God expresses a deep inner psychology. The idea is not God getting insulted but the name “God” has a way of centering us and attracting higher qualities of materiality that nourishes the spiritual sides of ourselves. When we use God in expressions of negative emotion it feels good for our ego because it uses throws off precisely this fine materiality that nourishes our inner life.

This is true but as a plurality, what do you collectively believe? This is why we lack force. As the wretched man we are in opposition with ourselves and the teaching deals with this opposition in a way we are incapable of.

Actually consciousness doesn’t deny our inner states, it reconciles them. Part of inner opposition is the recognition of our potential but the reality that must be personally verified is that as we are, we are incapable of it and need help.

By this I meant that it is our own emotional states that allow for the interpretation of insult rather then what someone may say.

Take for example that someone calls you a stupid @#$% while at work. You may be insulted. Now suppose you are getting ready to leave the office and you get a phone call that Uncle Harry had passed away and left you 2,000,000 in his will. You shout out: “My ship has come in.” Now the same person may say the same thing and you won’t care at all because your own inner state has changed. If we are not caught up in ourselves and spiritually aware in the context of the human condition, there is nothing to be insulted about. By “growl”, I mean my egotistic protest. Such an idea denies my self importance and for a broad shouldered Aries male, is not the most flattering experience.

Hi Micheal, my main point was religion no longer played a significant role in the late Republican society. I assume the decline of ancient religion started from the end of pre-hellenistic Greece. In terms of zealiousness, I think the Roman religion was dead as imperators’ temples were built. Roman citizens’ conscious was occupied by their own wealfare which depended on the results of political struggles and wars with foreign tribes. It was clear to them that man was the decisive factor in all things, not god. God was transformed from the role of the absolute ruler to the lesser of a powerful influencier, eventually reduced to an object of pure ideal. Giving divinity to powerful men was an act of honouring, it was a political cliche that showed the death of innocent and pure belief - now people believed only in man. The advancement and development of civilisation decides the fate of religion: a religious idea prospers when society is undergoing fast changes; a religious zeal cools down when society is peaceful and plenty. This is what I really meant by “no longer have the ego to accept divinity”, in fact it should be “no longer have the need to accept divinity”. Who would worship gods for nothing? Whose ego is so fragile and weak? Nietzsche asks: “do you think that I would preferably recognise some high being in heaven above me, knowing perfectly my inferiority?” God is dead, killed by us as it was created by us - it’s a meta-physcial ideal that we ditch when it losts its apeal. The Romans sure did - all they needed was winning wars and exciting gladitorial combads. To remark Octavian as “worshiped like a living god” was superfical - correct but misleading.

Hi Dr. Krankenkopf, really there is no need to mention Octavian as Divi Augustus, and I’ve spend the whole post above on that. You said that he was out done, I curiously read on thinking you were crediting Antonius or Pompeius… but what the… his wife? She managed the Julian house surely and she did a good job for her sons. But that’s family business, what about the impire’s, do you also believe that she managed the political affars for him? I don’t know how Octavian got in her way, what event are you refering to? You also claimed that she mudered him, which I’m not sure is representitive for the majority accounts. Bottom line though, if Octavian wanted to take charge, Drusilla wouldn’t stand a chance - her power derived from convencing and representing him, not manipulating him, unless you can show that she had personal command of senators, but even so, Octavian’s imperial power should be strong enough to at least fight back.

Dear Nick,

I will be out of the country for an extended period starting tomorrow, but I wanted to address your thoughts. I use the word “belief” with the meaning that “as you believe, so it is done” I use the term “words” to mean “concepts”. I do not see belief solely as an intellectual understanding. If one believes something then it influences every aspect of their existence.

I assume by “being” you mean manifestation, not essence.

There is also a school of thought that sees the oak tree already present in the acorn. It will materially manifest in the appropriate time and in the right way – neither of which is known to us.

I agree totally. I enjoy hunting through the words of Moses and the words of Jesus to demonstrate that they both had this understanding as well. That is why you will often see me paraphrase things.

I think this is a word usage issue for me. I understand the concept (I think) and totally agree. However it feels like there is an underlying belief in your words that this is work. We can learn from one another. If I am carrying boulders down the hill to build the foundation of my house and I see my neighbor rolling the boulders down the hill, I can can learn from my neighbor to accomplish the same thing without all the work. Lao-tse says, “The sage accomplishes without doing”. Jesus says, “Look at the birds of the sky, they don’t do shit and they’re fine, what’s your problem that you think you have to work for it?” That is a paraphrasing of his words.

I see your love for the psychological aspects and find them illuminating. One of the great seminal thinkers in psychology (for me) is Otto Rank. I find his work in this area to challenge me all the time as well. I

f the Mosaic concept of God is “all creation” as the HAYAH HAYAH spoken by the burning bush implies, then we are in and of God. He is the ocean, we are the wave. “I and the Father are one’, as Jesus said.

Jesus said this both to individuals and groups. The idea that we lack force is only valid if you believe that you should have the power of God and be able to change whatever you want. “Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar’s and unto God that which is God’s”. The tone of your words feels more like that of a victim than anything else.

Ernst Becker wrote a brilliant book called the “Denial of Death”. He is so on the mark with much of his thinking, and very much in line with what I know of yours. I loved the book. If you have not read it, I think you might really enjoy it. I may be wrong, but I also think that he clearly delineates many things you put out.

I believe that once we understand (and by that I mean viscerally know) that we are. That we exist. We are alive. There is so much joy and wonder that we don’t have time or energy for fear. We did not bring ourselves into existence and we are not in charge of when we cease to be here. It is like a child brought to a playground and spending his time being anxious about when he would have to go home. Some have been raised in an environment that would lead them to see things that way. That is their training, by abuse or neglect, or trauma of some kind. That is not their natural state, because if it were, then all children would be anxious in the same way.

I think that if I believe I need help then I believe that I am lacking in some way. Personlaly, I believe that “The Father knows what you need before you even ask.” That kingdom of god is here now, inside of us, and like the birds of the sky we don’t have to do anything to earn it. This is how understand, “as you believe so it is done.” Belief manifests in its own time and in its own way. The oak tree is already present in the acorn.

I agree. For me that addresses where I am. I have found, again, for me, that if I focus on who I am, then, because of that change of focus, I have moved from where I thought I was. Moses, Moses, Moses. His understanding of God, his understanding of man and man’s creative process as outlined in the seven days of creation, his understanding of why we live lives of quiet desperation (the Fall from the Garden). Not literal renderings, but poetic illustrations of our internal psychological and spiritual essence. YOU ARE. You exist. Heaven is within you. It is here now. You did not nor do have to earn it. It is given to you every moning. Someimes that is a most difficult concept for us to understand (in the biblical sense of know and experience the essence of).

Anyway, I hope to get online again before I go, but I don’t think so.

If not, I wish you all the best.

Dunamis,

The usefulness of the discussion is deteriorating. Tomorrow I have to go out of the country and will not have regular internet access (and what access I will have will be archaic.)

I will leave you with no answers, but perhaps some food for thought.

We cannot on the one hand interpret Paul “in the entirety of the context” and on the other insist that Jesus cannot be interpreted in context at all. If anything, there is a stronger argument to interpret Jesus in the entirety of the context because, unlike Paul, Jesus did not write his words down, they were translated decades later and written down. We must be consistent in our criteria. That said, I think it is disingenuous to not at least look at what Jesus said in the immediate context. By that I mean you cannot take a verse out of a metaphoric statement and attempt to address it out of that context. You have to first address the metaphor and then address specific verse within it.

If Jesus existed, and he did speak in Aramaic and Hebrew – two contestable assumptions – then it is a legitimate scholarly endeavor to question whether in the transition from his spoken Aramaic and Hebrew words to the written Greek words – which happened decades later and the renditions that we have are from centuries later– there were inaccuracies.

I asserted that Paul altered Jesus’ message in a specific way, not by altering Jesus’ specific words (though that is also a legitimate area of scholarly endeavor) but by promulgating a belief in Jesus as a higher being.

You would be correct if that were my reasoning. I was attempting to mirror back your position to you. Lao-tse said, “He who knows does not know, he who does not know knows.” Daniel J. Boorstin puts it, “The problem was not ignorance, the problem was the illusion of knowledge.”

I had written to you earlier that I am not interested in winning some war about right or wrong. I am very open to the fact that this conjecture may miss the mark, but I also know that there is invaluable understanding to be reached by exploring what happened to Jesus’ words in the transition from his original spoken words to the written Greek we have from centuries later. Obviously that exploration is unimportant to you, but I don’t believe it merits disparagement. I think that says more about your thinking than it does anything else. That is why I wrote that paragraph part of which you quote above.

As far as John 15:5 – In John 15:1 Jesus says “I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman.” He does not say, “I am the true vine and you cannot be, and my Father is the husbandman and your father is not.” That is an interpretation you may put on those words.

I do not think that you interpret this to mean that Jesus really thought he was a grape vine. I think he knew he was human. If we can agree on that, then we can agree that he was talking metaphorically. The word translated as “the true” (alethinos”) is a single word meaning “true” with the connotation of ”genuine”. The “the” was inferred by the translator who could just as easily translated it “a true vine”. It behooves us to question whether the translator had a preconception that was influencing his translations. Also, if one knows anything about gardening, one knows that the branch of a vine can be stuck in soil and become a new vine. (“All these things I do, you too can do and more” when you become a vine.)

There are other interpretations that require one to reconcile Jesus concept of “Father”. I have brought this to your attention before. I am tired of taking you back to the original texts. This is something you are able to do yourself if you have the interest. I just note for your edification that the phrase “He that abideth” is extrapolated by the translator from the single Greek word “meno” which also means “to remain as one in reference to state or condition”. Go back to the original Greek texts word by word and you will see that a completely different translation may be more accurate.

Any archeologist or anthropologist knows that there is major difference between studying the original artifacts or fossils and studying a cast, picture or replica. The same is true of any Biblical scholar. We need to examine the oldest extant version of the scriptures. Even the smallest fragments bring us new understandings.

If you bother to look at the original Greek that we have, you will find that Jesus is saying something like this in John 5:

Look at it this way, if you understand what I am saying, then it is like I am a vine and you are the branches and our father is the gardener. A branch can’t bring forth grapes by itself, it needs the vine. But the vine can’t bring forth grapes by itself either, it need the branches. We can’t do anything unless we understand that we are one. You are one with me and I with you like vine with branch and branch with vine.

As far as the last part of John 15:5, “without me you can do nothing”. The word translated as “without” also translates as “alone” or “separate” the next word (translated as “you can”) is the word “dunamai”. It can also be translated as “I can”. So a valid translation is:

“I am the vine, ye are the branches. Remain one with me, and I with you, together we bring forth much fruit: because alone we can do nothing.”

Jesus clarifies in John 5:9-10. You can only follow the translation if you look at the ancient Greek. The two verses would legitimately translate as: “In the same manner the Father loves me, so he loves. Likewise he loves you. Stay as one with me in this love of mine. Keep my principles, remain one with my love, seeing that I remain one with my father’s principles and one with his love.”

One needs to keep in mind as one reads English translations that they are, for the most part, translated from the Latin which was translated for the traditional Greek which was translated from the Ancient Greek which was translated from the Aramaic, which was possibly taken down but more likely remembered and then written down by listeners of the Hebrew ancient Hebrew and Galilean dialect of Aramaic that Jesus spoke, not written by Jesus himself. If you have any concept of Plato, this can’t help but raise thoughts.

Before you reject without the needed research and information, keep an open mind. Refer to the oldest extant texts and see if the translations as I have rendered them are at least worthy of consideration.

As I will be away for an extended time, I wish you all the best.

Water,

“The problem was not ignorance, the problem was the illusion of knowledge.”

Of course you imagine that you have “knowledge” of Jesus’ true message which Paul has distorted, and which the gospels themselves do not reveal. This is essential to your point.

As far as the last part of John 15:5, “without me you can do nothing”. The word translated as “without” also translates as “alone” or “separate” the next word (translated as “you can”) is the word “dunamai”. It can also be translated as “I can”. So a valid translation is:

“I am the vine, ye are the branches. Remain one with me, and I with you, together we bring forth much fruit: because alone we can do nothing.”

In reading the Greek it would help if you actually conjugated the verbs. “Dunasthe” is in the present indicative mid/pass. 2nd person plural. “You can do nothing”, not “we can do nothing”. Choris [alone] is followed by the genitive “from me” [emou], so it specifically means “cut off from me”.

You simply are inventing translations that defy the very meaning of the words. It literally says, “apart from me [emou] you can do nothing.” There is no ambiguity.

Loxos

p.s. I wish you the best on your travels.

Hi Waterlover

Sheesh! I’ve had women tell me they were visiting their mother or their boyfriend in Indiana who just happens to be a jealous professional wrestler but to have you leave the country to avoid talking to me??? Nah, just kidding. :slight_smile: Anyhow I do wish you the best in health and purpose on your journey.

Actually I mean essence. Probably all our misunderstanding would be based on this difference in conception. I agree with the expression: “A person’s being attracts their life.” The life of an acorn is different from the life of an oak because of the change of its “essence”, its “being.”

Dunamis,

No, actually I have that posted on my wall to remind me of my own tendencies. I sent it as words to see by.

I could conjugate all I wanted if I were the writer. I am not. I have to use the words that were written to understand the intent of the writer, not the words I would have used. The oldest texts show the word “dunamai” as the word translated into “you can”, not “dunasthe”. You are using a later rendition. “dunamai” is translated in Matthew 20:22 as “we are able”, it is also translated as past and future tenses as well as singular and plural (“I can” in Mat 9:28 and “They could” (Mat 17:16) in other verses. Why don’t you research that simple issue: Which is the oldest text, “dunamai” or ‘dunasthe”? That will go far to resolving our other issues. I am not saying that mine is the ONLY viable translation. I am simply stating that it is A viable translation. You need to have the earliest texts to participate in answering that question. Before you object, find the source material.

I love where you say

I truly got a big kick out of that. I wonder what it feels like to be so certain.

There is no sense in discussing further until we can agree on what the oldest extant Greek texts read. Maybe by the time I return you will have solved the issue for us and we can use the same texts.

Anyway, all the best, always.

Hey Nick!

The essence of me salutes the essence of you and wishes all the joy and abundance you can grasp!

All the best.

Water,

“The oldest texts show the word “dunamai” as the word translated into “you can”, not “dunasthe”.”

You are quoting material I have no access to, and whose analysis of I have no access to. Not only that, the Bezae codex (5th cent) you referred to earlier is not the oldest surviving copy, but rather are the (I believe) Papyri Bodmer II (early 3rd cent). In fact I suspect that you, nor I, possess the grasp of Greek to break down the use of terms in these texts. If you would like to quote in its entirety the full text in the Greek, say from John 15:1-15 and the exact source name of the material I’d be glad to look at it. But until then I will work from the academic texts as scholars (theistic and atheistic alike) have rendered them.

[I did a quick check, and it seems that the Bodmer Papyri 66 and 75, circa 200 C.E. read “dunasthe” and not “dunamai”, matching the NA-27 text]. Where exactly, I mean what “book(s)” or “url(s)”, are you getting your information from? I am curious.

Dunamis