American Presidents and Religion

Episcopalianism! The predominant core of religious belief in America warranted by those leaders who represent it! Dammit!

Coolidge was the only Congregationalist…

Kennedy was the only Catholic…

Hoover and Nixon were the only Quakers! Check it out FM!

Van Buren and Theo Roosevelt were the only Dutch Reformed… what the hell is that anyway?

Jefferson, Lincoln, and Andrew Johnson are listed as not having specific beliefs - [size=200]FREETHINKERS RULE[/size]…

Garfield, L.B.J., and Reagan were Disciples of Christ - Ack!

Adams, Quincy Adams, Fillmore, and Taft were all Unitarians… the nearest damn thing religiously to that FREETHINKER group up there…

Harding, Truman, Carter, and Clinton were the only Baptists…

Polk, Grant, Hayes, McKinley, and G.W. Bush are the only Methodists… …yeah…you read right. Bush is Methodist.

Jackson, Polk, Grant, Buchanan, Cleveland, Ben Harrison, Wilson, Eisenhower, and Reagan were Presbytarians… That’s right…Polk, Grant, and Reagan were ALSO Presbytarians…

Washington, Madison, Monroe, Will Harrison, Tyler, Taylor, Pierce, Arthur, Theo Roosevelt, F.D.R., Ford, H.W. Bush were the Episcopalians… Yes, it appears Theo was ALSO Episcopal! What is strange is H.W. and G.W. Bush have different views on the orientation of their Christian belief…

It is noted that Jefferson and Tyler dabbled in Deism while Eisenhower - believe it or not… was not only Presbytarian but Jehova’s Witness as well…wtf?

[size=150]Anyone care to comment?[/size]

Cool info.

I would argue that Jefferson was more than likely an agnostic…

“Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because [size=150]if[/size] there be one he must approve of the homage of reason more than that of blindfolded fear.”

-Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Peter Carr, August 10, 1787

“I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent.”

-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Francis Hopkinson, March 13, 1789

“But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.”

-Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1782

:sunglasses: My UK relatives often laughingly comment, here you Yanks claim to be secularists and have tons of religious imagery in your land and governemt with huge numbers of the devout. In the UK we claim to be a Christian country, the queen is the head of the church, but we have few relgious individuals or religious imagery in our land.

A bit of a paradox.