Talking About It

This forum is dedicated to talking about ‘it’. What is our nature? How do we express that nature?

It is too easy to forget that talking about ‘it’ isn’t ‘it’. Regardless the religious or philosophical discussion, it is always in the form of duality, a meta discussion. We talk about pre-determined states of being, pre-meditated morality, the ‘path’ to God or enlightenment. We get caught up in the concepts and treat them as reality. They become ‘things’, principles carved in stone to be placed on a pedestal, defended and cherished.

At some point, we all need to remember that life is in the wind. The breath of the universe that flows around us. Is there a path to God? A higher morality? Can we truly transcend ourselves?

All of the intellectual discussion may be useful, but it is just that - discussion. Living it is a different thing altogether.

JT

JT

Yes, many have these concerns. What would you say is the first step for living it? Have you taken that first step yet?

No steps, Nick. No Dayrunner filled out in 15 min segments, no operator’s manual, no grand flow chart. Just being in it, Nick.

You understand all this intellectually. Let it go and simply be in it.

JT

JT

Have you let it go and now are simply in it? If not, why not?

LOL, Nick if you want to play this game, get a degree in psychiatry and find somebody who cares.

JT

JT

I always appreciate finding those that genuinely care but I don’t see how a degree in Psychiatry will be of any major benefit while in their presence.

I appreciate your honesty and you are in the majority but for the minority that do care, they must tackle the question you stated above:

It requires real self knowledge. Unfortunately, we pass the buck and start talking about others. But for those with a need to experience beyond the superficial, it requires the caring willing to admit the first step that we are the “wretched man” and unable to practice what we preach. without that first step, the only lasting results are platitudes, self deception, and putting the blame on others.

This is the human condition all the great teachings initiating with a conscious source have strived to make man aware of. It is much easier to pass the buck onto psychiatrists and those who are imagined to "care’.

The most offensive thing to admit is our nothingness and since it is the essential beginning on which understanding can be built, the vast majority will always be restricted to “talking about it” while defending their corrupt ego. The consolation will be fine speeches and wonderful platitudes. Hopefully, in the age of equality, there will be an equal distribution of “experts.” Maybe some of the women with these credentials will at least have nice legs offering additional partial compensation for the loss of inner sincerity.

Nick,

I fancy myself as a gardener, and I love to talk about any and all aspects of gardening. I could talk for hours about gardening. That said, I do not confuse the talking with pulling the weeds, watering, or just running my hands through the dirt.

JT

Hi JT,

I think my nature is one of curious helplessness since I tried to first see, hear, feel and taste reality, then gain an idea of space, all the time copying what I hear - and after 50 years I have a certain sense of balance, haven’t made the really bad mistakes that could have cost me my life, and I imagine myself adapted to life. I have an idea of who I am, what is good and what is detremental. But I also know that there are thousands of people around me who could snuff me out, that hundreds of accidents occur and that my body could become prone to illness.

In short, a human being is someone trying to cope in a reality he didn’t think up, trying to figure out for the next move what would be a reasonable contribution to a crazy mixed up world. Fortunately, if he can overcome his fear, he has sentience that guides him to a spiritual unity that gives his existence meaning and his spirit peace.

Shalom