To believers

Dear cyberphilosophers,

What kind of evidence would you allow to count against the existence of God? 

It may be, for instance, some everlasting evil which is without reason (imagine an illness which cannot be cured and does not end up at death). Or the certainty of the future annihilation without rewards to the good and punishments to the sinner.

It may be the total absence of love from the universe.

It may be the total absence of miracles and holy people.

I suppose some will find this reason or that, but I cannot see any reason one way or the other. It seems to me that the limitations of mind says that to believe or not believe requires an act of faith without referent. We can posit any form of belief we want, but God, as a concept, remains hidden. The ineffable.

JT

Sam,

What kind of evidence would you allow to count against the existence of God?

None:

“…the total field is so undetermined by its boundary conditions, experience, that there is much latitude of choice as to what statements to re-evaluate in the light of any single contrary experience. No particular experiences are linked with any particular statements in the interior field, except indirectly through considerations of equilibrium affecting the field as a whole”. - Quine

Belief in God, (or the non-belief in God for that matter) is the equilibrium of the field, not a statement within the field. It can be neither evidenced nor evidenced against in the manner you mean.

Dunamis

drags up his toaster

Here is my toaster, it’s invisable, silent, intangeable, oderless, and you don’t get the toast until you are dead.

Prove its not here.

The proof for me that there is no God is simple. Weather I belive in him or not nothing changes. I had my years in the church, I’ve had my years out. The only thing different is the people I hang out with- who are much more interesting now.

To put it another way.

If god exist, he is insignificant.