Simone Weil: Atheist to Christian

Hello All

I have a great admiration for true religious individuality. Where many find it comforting to talk of the unity of humanity in idealistic terms, I admire those that have experienced the human condition for what it is in themselves as well as society and personally grown as a result in the direction of the true human spirit.

Simone Weil was, I believe, such a person. She was such an individual that she really is impossible to classify. She is one of those few that can only be called an “event”.

It almost seems absurd that a woman born in 1909 and dies in 1943, living a brief 34 years, should now become for me not only one of the most profound female thinkers I’ve read but one of the most dedicated to be brutally honest with her beliefs in relation to herself. I’ve read some of her writings and will gradually read more but I am in awe that such depth, courage, and sincerity could exist in someone so young.

Needless to say, attempting to deal with what was obvious an inner calling annoyed many. She was very “odd.” and probably even frightened some. It was part of a growing process in a world alien to her being.

Talk about individuality. She was born a French Jew in a fairly well to do home and her parents were fond of Marx and Freud. When very young she was a brilliant anarchist and Atheist and Marxist… But not just a talker, she lived her principles and voluntarily entered factory work to experience the human condition.

Her life was so odd but completely genuine that Albert Camus called her “the only great spirit of our time."

From “Simone Weil: A Saint for our Time”:

It was her incredible talent and her uncompromising desire to be real that allowed I believe a genuine transition in human psychological growth where she could understand the natural connection between the attractions of Christianity and Atheism. Now who but a true individual could grasp and reconcile such an apparent contradiction?

She experienced, I believe, something similar to what St. Paul did when she writes “Christ himself came down and took possession of me.” It is notable that she writes: " God in his mercy had prevented me from reading the mystics, so that it should be evident to me that I had not invented this absolutely unexpected contact." It minimizes the role of imagination. Since she wrote this to a friend knowing she was near death, I don’t suspect the usual urge to try and create appearance. Anyhow, before getting into her conception of the connection between Atheism and Christianity, I’ll first copy this excerpt from her book

WAITING FOR GOD by Simone Weil - Harper & Row, New York, 1951, translated by Emma Craufurd (title is also translated as “Waiting ON God”)

No cutsey pooh everybody loves everybody stuff. Just profound experience of one searching with courage for meaning in a world hostile to their efforts.

So how does she unite Atheism and Christianity? She does so with a realistic appreciation of the divided state of human nature without any condemnation. She had experienced both with pure intent so her connection was natural. Consider these two quotations:

How can such a young person see what so many have missed? Religion isn’t for consolation but awakening which the Atheist in their own way invites us to do. Both Atheists and the Religious will dig their heels in and snarl at one another while she only relates her experience of reconciliation. At one time in her life her concern was purely for the society and as Atheistic as one could be. But her courage and desire for the truth itself required her to be open and not just close off in defense of an agenda. In this way she could experience what I believe to be the natural transition into higher understanding that our arguments and egotistic self justifications close us off to. Her individualism demanded being open to reality at the expense of her beliefs.

Simone, I know you had no interest whatsoever in personal appearance but I will say that you are one of the most beautiful women I have ever come to be aware of. A true individual with the need to be real.

Thanks, Nick. I’ve just added “Waiting for God” to my reading list.

Jerry

I hope you enjoy it. It is good also I believe, for some of the talented female students in philosophy and religious ideas to know of her since her ideas can be woven into many papers much to the delight of so many professors that read the same stuff over and over.

Her “Gravity and Grace” is another classic. Here are just two of so many ideas for papers. First:

Compare with Meister Eckhart and remember she didn’t read the mystics:

They are both speaking of the effects of imagination on the growth of our being. Her idea that that the "sight"of God would mean our death refers to the death of our imagination and this perception of self ties in with the strange statement in Genesis 2:

Now a bright student can explain all this in terms of Man’s evolution being temporarily halted by cosmic necessity and so many take this idea of death wrongly.

Then a student could write on the relative attractions of good and evil in society as being indicative of man asleep to reality.

So she opens the question of the nature of the good and evil and if we are really open to it. Perhaps our conception of the good is in reality just an interpretation from our ignorance of evil making it boring. Many have become so closed that they cannot experience what she became aware of so without the artificial stimulation, life must be boring.

In the days of recycling papers, how many professors would ever read a paper developing such ideas?

During this modern phase where individuality is frowned on in favor of PC thought, we are truly fortunate to have had those like Simone Weil to encourage these up and coming “black sheep” that will gravitate towards common sense and on what they produce, so much of the quality of our future will depend.

We’ve been discussing the idea of peace amongst religions which naturally must include believer and non-believer. I don’t believe this is possible if for no other reasons that the collective level of being would not allow it. The hope for easing the tension rests with the minority that have grown to understand the absurdity of the human condition beyond lip service and their inspiration for others. The reality of this observation is vivified once one has acquired the religious perspective that Simone Weil refers to.

First, I want to make it absolutely clear that she is no Suzie Whatserface that read three books on philosophy and decided to teach everyone about true love. Not the case. From hermitary.com/house/weil.html

She’s been celebrated by both Marxists and a Pope. Such a person can not be all bad.

It has been her intellectual brilliance, openness and sensitivity to human suffering, and the passion for truth as opposed to platitudes that has allowed her IMO to really come to grips with levels of reality.

Now what kind of nonsense is this from a woman of such celebrated intellectual brilliance? Submit to what? What could be more important than believing yourself right or wrong? To attention itself.

acmsonline.org/Taylor-SimoneWeil.pdf

Being that secular religion exists on the same level as cultural life it functions with the same relative quality of attention, lack of self awareness, that allows “meaning” to be established and accepted on such superficial levels.

cesnur.org/2002/slc/bauer.htm

The human condition is not the result of thought itself but the loss of the perspective from imagination gradually replacing conscious attention where thought loses context.

For me, this means that by maintaining the impartial conscious attention and experiencing life as it is and without sugar coating or denying allows one to gradually follow God’s withdrawal allowing man to follow.

This, IMO, is the essence of Christian “re-birth” so as to become an aspect of God’s will. The common ground with all religion at its essence is to see ourselves in the context of our potential. Instead of arguing over who is right or wrong, the intelligent beginning is that we are all nothing in relation to our potential. The unifying factor regarding religion is not in determining some imaginary wonderfulness of man but we are united in our nothingness.

Thought acquires meaning by becoming part of a human perspective in which thought plays its part as opposed to being denied. Attention is the key factor that retains the separation between reality and the attraction of imagination.

Hi Nick,

Thank you for bringing Simone Weil to our attention. I have admired what I knew about her for some time, since a teacher of mine gave me one of her books. What you have quoted has re-established my admiration. I have often asked myself, how someone so prolific and yet who died so young found time at all to live and experience so intensely the things she did.

Just a hint though, the more you quote won’t make it more interesting.

It isn’t unusual for someone to be “taken possession of” when they have been moved in the way that Simone had been moved. It can happen in deep sadness, in ecstatic happiness, in the realisation of an overwhelming love, or anything that manages to free us of our occupation with everyday things. It can also happen when we find seclusion, our “inner chamber”, on a mountain or in a valley. It is then that we feel a presence that calls us by our name, and says, “You are mine”.

The circumstances of Simones being divinely possessed were suited to her own intellectual status, as is the descent on anyone. Whether the simpleton or the professor, “God” speaks to us all in the way suited to us. I have heard the voice in many ways, in a storm on the Irish Sea, in the middle of a sermon, alone with a Bible in my hands, in the middle of a busy street, as well as when listening to St. Francis’ Prayer for peace being sung. Many different occasions, many different circumstances, multiplied by the number of human beings there are and you have the true diversity of the divine.

Simon writes, “One can never wrestle enough with God if one does so out of pure regard for the truth”. I think that this readiness to “wrestle” is what is particular about spiritual people. It isn’t just acceptance of truth, but the struggle that changes a life. Figuratively, it is the wrenched socket of Jacob that we are all left with. A mark of being touched and possessed by the Ineffable isn’t always attractive, and can even ward off people. But if it is taken seriously, it leads to character and life.

“After this I came to feel that Plato was a mystic, that all the Iliad is bathed in Christian light, and that Dionysus and Osiris are in a certain sense Christ himself; and my love was thereby redoubled.” Simone was at home in the Greek Classics and identified her love through them. So we all use the language that we identify with, just as I too see God at work in all areas of mysticism, using the Prophets, the Rabbis, the Sufis, the Sages, the Mahatmas, and whatever title you want to give them, to speak to a devastated world.

The two quotes you mentioned remind me of something I said a while back, but which gained no attention.

1. “Religion in so far as it is a source of consolation is a hindrance to true faith: in this sense, atheism is purification. I have to be atheistic with the part of myself which is not made for God. Among those men in whom the supernatural part has not been awakened, the atheists are right and the believers wrong.”
  2. “An atheist may be simply one whose faith and love are concentrated on the impersonal aspects of God.”

In Germany, a protestant theologian named Dorothee Sölle became infamous for coining the phrase, “to have an atheistic faith in God.” She found the kind of attention that many mystics in the course of church history have often received, and lived finally in America, where she died not to long ago. Perhaps she had been moved by Simone Weil, it wouldn’t surprise me.

Perhaps the Atheist isn’t as jumbled up as many Christians are, and they don’t feel obliged to excuse a history that accuses organised piety of killing its spiritual leaders. Our church history is full of shame, and there is no excuse. I just can’t separate myself from it because I’m no better. Israel has its shame written in the Tanakh, Christianity hides behind apologetics. I find Israel’s method better.

There are many reasons for not becoming a Christian, just as the other forms of organised piety have their weaknesses. We just have to differentiate between the spirituality and the piety that is a result of being “possessed” by the ineffable. Perhaps Simone would have experienced this if she hadn’t contracted Tuberculosis – as it is, she died a Saint.

Shalom

Hi Bob

In all fairness most experience some degree of the experience of something higher than themselves but this shouldn’t be equated with the awakening experience of St. Paul and to a lesser degree, Simone Weil. That experience of help from direct contact must come from being “noticed” for one reason or another.

She had this thought provoking conception of creation that is similar to what I know from my understanding of esoteric Christianity.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simone_Weil#Absence

This withdrawal manifesting as levels in accordance with the vibratory structure of the universe is cosmology.

The difficulty with the genuine spiritual experience that functions with a high quality of energy is that the unconscious state of our being interprets it so it loses its quality and begins functioning with the mechanical and psychic energies. As Father sylvan wrote:

It is through conscious attention she believed that one could remain open to profit as a human being from contact with the higher and not just subsist on earthly interpretations.

I agree that Christendom needs work. She recognized this more deeply than I which is why she wasn’t part of the church. But this has nothing to do with the desire for becoming a Christian. Unfortunately, as Father Vincent found out in “Lost Christianity” it is not so easy. He saw how easily it could be lost even after his intense experiences in Africa and finally had to admit that he wasn’t and didn’t know any Christians.

I had to laugh at myself last night. I was thinking on this and I began to feel protective of this depth which is normal for my nature. I then remembered a quote of hers:

Naturally, I would think to myself that she doesn’t belong on the front lines during war volunteering to help as she did. She was much to important to risk premature death. Yet she knew that the horror of everything she was witnessing and enduring was somehow necessary for her being. I then remembered that Peter said to Jesus how he would defend him and no harm would come but Jesus told him he was thinking only from the lower perspective. So much for the nobility of defense with such beings. But I believe I did experience what Peter experienced which only means that I didn’t really understand. The horror wasn’t to be defended against but willfully experienced for karmic reasons.