religion: A broken tool

Religion has played many roles throughout history. Like civilization it has evolved to fit the needs of the people for whom it serves. As a society it is easy to see the benifits that religion has brought along the way. likewise, it is easy to see the downfalls of religion. nonetheless, religion has had a lasting effect however good or bad.

Now, at the dawn of the 21st century hasn’t it become time to finally get rid of that rusty old screwdriver, and pick up our new power drill. religion accomplishes lots of tasks, but why not go right for the sorce.

I don’t think its a question of faith. If that were the case, religion wouldn’t need its handy books, ancient relics, and elitist hierarchy. The real chain that holds us back is our unwillingness to let go of that sence of magesty that god entales. religion gives us a sence of purposs and duty. god represents the ultimate order, the beauty, that all life searches for. we can’t let go , becuase we know we will lose a part of our self in the process. Its the kid who catches his parents putting presents under the tree and understands christmas will never be the same

Religion is the easy way out. It makes everything simple, it creates order out of chaos. But the truth is life is complex, and the meaning that we long for is just a dream.

but that is the miracle, life is held on a fragile balance, preserving itself in a harsh and unforgiving universe. life lives to do that very task, live! In the process we gain understanding of the world that birthed us. The problem is the mysteries of the universe are difficult to understand, but are meant to be discovered, not manifested.

Now is the time for our new tool

ejddar

OK, I’ll bite. What do you believe is this new tool of contemporary expertise?

the tools have always been in existence

our ability to perseive

the problem is our limited scope of perseption

that is where reason comes in play, to infer the missing pieces from the puzzle

I didn’t say it was easy

but more fullfilling

Actually its rather funny that you should mention such a thing. The age of current mainstream religions is technically up in accordance to astrology. The Age of Pisces is almost/ or is up depending on which calendar your looking at. The age of Aquarius is coming and shall rise a new way of thinking in accordance to philisophical thinking and religion.

also our ability to manipulate our surroundings, which sparks invention

in that sence our abilities our only limited by time

But if one believes in God, and one begins to contemplate all that God must be, and one begins to see the ineffable nature of God, then religion, as a means of experiencing something of this God, in perhaps the only ways possible, through ritual and sacrament and prayer and meditation and fellowship, and all the things that religion is and can be, doesn’t lose its relevance at all. In fact, it’s relevance becomes clearer.

ejddar

I believe you are mistaken if you assume our limited ability to perceive life’s impressions can be compensated for through reason that is equally limited in its scope.

If you feel the need for experience from the recognition of your limited ability for perception, it is better, IMO, to practice being open to experience rather than the analysis of imagination.

my point is that deductive reasoning based off of limited perceived information is better than both perception alone and imagination

one of the main problems with both modern science and religion is mans agenda for self gain. if one gained understanding purely for the betterment of society, then the goal is easily attainable through reasoning aided by future computational devices, provided that information has some form of objectivity.

ejddar

Imagination is what takes the place of our limited perception and fills in the gaps. If we could perceive from the whole of ourselves and including reason, as human beings, Imagination would not have the hold on us that it does. The ancient traditions at their source which you frown on call this condition: “sleep.” Then the question becomes: What value is reason for a sleeping man?

alas, even with said perceptions, more than a few are still holes…

-Imp

ejddar:

Who is your audience? The atheists obviously don’t need your message, and the believers don’t think God is a social construct or tool in the way you describe.

I don’t know how i’m suppossed to answer that question.

my point is that religion is at heart just a grand narrative that does less to answer the fundamental question and more to shift focus from that of the physical to the metaphysical

I guess my audience is that of believers
afterall it was text written to persuade

you cant argue that the relivence of religion has been on a decline for the past 1000 years.

thats why now we have this backlash towards secular society with the emergence of fundamental religions

ejddar

Maybe it would help if you if you stated what you believe is the fundamental question.

ultimately all arguments with god and religion lead to the creation

therefore the fundamental questions would be the origins of the universe and the physics that describes it.

ejddar

This is superb rationalization but what is YOUR fundamental question?

I’m perfectly content with imagining a theory to describe everything, but what matters is how you go about proving it .

that is the area where religion fails. it is basically just a very well thoughtout conjecture without anyway of testing it

that is the question, because it remains an unknown