Turn the other cheek

Christians, I would like to ask you, what do you think christ meant by turn the other cheek?

Iron Dog

Turning the other cheek is an exercise in presence. Re-birth is the goal of Christianity and consciousness is what brings value to carrying ones cross. The need then is to remain conscious.

Normally we react to such a slap either in submission or in retaliation. Either is a reaction from our ego which is natural for our being. But either also deprives us of the conscious experience of our reaction to the slap.

By turning the other cheek you are inviting the person to do it again in order to practice retaining consciousness. Such experiences however acquired lead to self knowledge necessary for inner development. By turning the other cheek you are allowing yourself to have the conscious experience of your reactions. Each such similar conscious experience of ones egotism is valuable in the effort to “know thyself”, a necessary aspect of the realistic foundation for spiritual growth.

Are you a christian Nick?

Turn the Other Cheek vs Eye for an Eye would be a good discussion… but for now…

I am Roman Catholic.
By turn the other cheek, to me; Jesus was telling us to keep our cool instead of confrontation with anger or violence. To not go and stab someone when they’ve wronged you, instead, forgive and be well. After comming to my own philosophy on God and life, (http://www.ilovephilosophy.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=145047) I’ve come to completally agree with Jesus. With no fear, there is barely a limit to what a man may accomplish. Be good and be kind, turn the other cheek and all is well.

W.C.

W.C

Tell me , do you know the symbollism of the parables? Do you know that christ taught rebirth to his followers?

For a long time I thought as many did - that to turn the other cheek was a sign of submission and weakness, or at best pacifism, forgiving your enemy. Which still went against the grain.

But after a lot of thought, especially after the recent terror attacks on London etc. I thought of a third explaination:

Turning the other cheek from a position of strength.

Someone strikes you. You stand, and turn your cheek. You look them dead in the eye and say… “Feel free - You cannot harm me. You are not worth my becoming a monster…”

Interesting

Hi,

I agree with Tab to some degree, Jesus is telling his followers that a militant uprising in the face of overwhelming odds leads to death and suffering on all sides. The superior way to oppose such overwhelming odds is to remain strong in the sight of oppression and invite the enemy to go too far, and thus make his barbarity apparent.

It is a stance of moral supremacy that even if it fails, puts the wind up the oppressors and strengthens the resolution of our fellow sufferer. It is also a stance of faith, being assured that doing good to oppressors is like “heaping glowing coals upon their head” - figuratively speaking of course.

Shalom

Iron Dog

No, I’m a pre-Christian

Of course, on both counts; the Bible is just about one huge compilation of symbolism really. It doesn’t change my view on things though. The Bible is not the only place I’ve used to develop my own philosophy on things.
:slight_smile:

W.C.

Do you know the kabbalah W.C ?

Well, I dont… or I didnt, I should now say.

Once reading this post of yours, I looked into it slightly. Its seems very interesting and going just by an FAQ’s answer to the question: What is the Kabbalah?

It seems to be a pretty accurate description of my extended thought. Thanks for that Iron Dog, I’m going to read into the Kabbalah a bit more - Its got me quite intruiged.

W.C.

W.C In particular I say that the parables of christ make no sense if the kabbalah is not employed. The reason for this of course is that the bible is an invention by christians. Jesus was not a christian but a Jew, he was schooled by his own rabbi,s in the esoteric knowledge of the kabbalah.

So the bible is essentially Jewish mystiscism , at least christs message is originally the tongue of the hebrew mystic.

And it is what the hebrew mystic spoke of that can give us a clearer understanding of Christ,s mentality.

For example, the part of the bible where he asks the disciples “Who do you say I am ? Who do the people say I am”

Now unless Jesus had lost his mind, he would not be asking his friends who he was, simply he was asking the disciples, which reincarnated being do you say I am. And the answer the disciples give also makes no sense unless we employ the reasoning of the kabballah.

“Some say Isaiah, some say John lord”. So you see the disciples were already initiated into the doctrine of rebirth, this is why they replied essentially that the talk in the town was that Jesus was actually the prophet Isaiah or John returned again in the flesh.

There are many more illustrations, but I,ll mention them when I return probably on thursday.