Is idolatry worse than murder?

Is idolatry worse than murder?

• Yes
  • No
0 voters

It is what the Qu’ran says!!! :astonished:

Explain this, muslims.

This is because to make an idol is to detract from god. So, if you are praying to a statue of Jesus it could be argued that you are praying more to the statue than the god. You may even become used to that statue and find that it means more to you than other statues of Jesus, thus that statue is your god.

The muslims do not allow icons or statues of any type. Interestingly, Bertrand Russell indicates that this idea was most likely lifted from Plato’s Republic.

Anyway, as we all know Islam does not mind killing people for the protection of religion, and that wraps that up.

How to believe that a murderer is a better man than a righteous unbeliever?

Did not the Jews vie to release a murderer over Jesus in the parables of some holy book? Not only that, but Islam is over 1400 years old and STILL is out of the times. In today’s society, where belief is NOT a controlled choice, murder is a much more serious crime.

And yet more Muslim bashing - Sam - what’s the matter…? Haven’t you got anything better to do…?

Anyway - here, a quick cut and paste from the bible:

1"I am the Lord your God who brought you out of the land of Egypt…" - This commandment is to believe in the existence of God.

2"You shall have no other gods besides Me…Do not make a sculpted image or any likeness of what is in the heavens above…"

3"You shalt not swear falsely by the name of the Lord…" - This commandment is to never take the name of God in a vain oath. In Exodus, the text reads “in a vain oath” (לא תשא את שם ה’ לשוא), while in Deuteronomy it reads “in a false oath” (לא תשא שם ה’ לשקר).

4"Remember the Sabbath day and keep it holy" (the version in Deuteronomy mentions “Keep” rather than “Remember”)

5"Honor your father and your mother…" - This commandment is a development when compared to other laws of the Ancient East (for example, the Code of Hammurabi) that do not call for equal respect of the father and the mother.

6"You shall not murder" - The Hebrew Bible makes a distinction between murdering and killing, and explicitly notes that murder is always a heinous sin, while killing is sometimes necessary, and in these cases just in the eyes of God. Thus, Jews take offense at translations which state “Thou shall not kill”, which Jews hold to be immoral. The official doctrine of the Catholic Church and the beliefs of many Protestant Christians hold that this verse forbids abortion; in Judaism, abortion is prohibited based on other sources.

7"You shall not commit adultery"

8"You shall not steal" (sometimes interpreted as kidnapping, since there are other injunctions against stealing property in the Bible).

9"You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor"

10"You shall not covet your neighbor’s house…" (in Exodus, the text reads “… neighbour’s house, … neighbour’s wife, nor his manservant…” etc. while in Deuteronomy, “thy neighbour’s wife, … thy neighbour’s house, his field” etc.)

Murder’s down at number six…

Explain that Christians… :unamused:

Some would argue that idolatry begin’s the moment we say the name
God". With the naming come’s the assigning of attributes (many are anthropomorphic). Attributes bring boundaries and limitations. God is - God isn’t. Idolatry isn’t a golden statue. To be aware of that which is is to know God. To say what God is or isn’t is idolatry - the separating ourselves from that which is. All major religions recognize and warn against, or prohibit this idolatry, and in doing so, create the idol. :unamused:

The distinction between murder and killing escapes me. Killing is just a rationalization of murder.

Which is worse? Without question, idolatry. If one holds their awareness of that which is in their hearts, murder isn’t possible. Murder is only possible when we separate ourselves from that which is.

JT

Actually Tab, it’s interesting you bring this up. I remember reading an article that was truly trying to justify the existence of another five commandments after the given ten. The reason for this is that if you look at how the given ten are set up, you’ll notice that the first five are very specific to PERSONAL laws one should live their life by. The last five are specific to PUBLIC laws that all should abide by in society. It was to be justified that there was another set of five laws after this public set that detailed joint commandments dealing with personal and public problems.

If we broke up the commandments in two groups of five as the Bible claimed Moses had them, then we see that murdering someone is equally important as betraying the Hebrew God. At least murder is more serious than adultery… :stuck_out_tongue:

Sage Yeah - I’ve heard that too - sounds reasonable - but then - you’d have to give the Muslims the same benefit of the doubt don’tcha think…?

And while nodding to Tentative in a “Whoo-boy - your rosy-tinted spectacles are bigger than mine” kind of way - and just to play Devil’s Advocate - What if your culture’s God is one of the real killers… I don’t know, er - let’s say Kali, or something… Then you could hold them in your heart and still go out and off the populace… no…?

• Or have I fallen into another “stick-wrong end” situation…?

Only if I wanted to Tab… only if I wanted to.

If Allah exists, I want him to know that I am sorry for doubting his teachings, but they are so at odds with modern consciousness.

Sâmkhya,

I think that that is a major defining point to the entire religious and especially the muslim question.

:sunglasses: Oh, Tab, do you really want me to throw the hadiths and the Qur’an at you?