Religion and the Earthly Perfection of Man

There is much discussion about our spiritual and/or religious ideals and the obvious shortfall in our performance of those ideals. I would suggest that the imperfect world we live in is largely a response to those religious ideals.

Of the major religions being practiced today, the perfection of man is not of this world. Christians believe that man is ever corrupted by original sin, and that perfected man and perfected society await the second coming, judgement, and then perfected heaven. Muslims await paradise. Buddhists look to breaking the chain of reincarnation, to never return to this ‘veil of tears’. In short, religious views of utopia, of perfected man, are not of this world. For all the hand-wringing over the state of the world, those who practice religion aren’t really interested in the state of the world. They are all looking ‘past’ the here and now with eyes focussed on an other-worldly utopia. This is not to suggest that religious people do not attempt to make things ‘better’, but only in preparation for leaving - not staying.

It would seem then, that only a secular understanding of man and his society can generate a human-in-the-world mythology. A utopian vision dependant on being stuck here. With such a mythology, perhaps we would be willing to nurture this world instead of destroying it because we’re looking past it.

JT

Or, an understanding of Christianity less literal and more in terms of metaphor. The Thomas Gospel speaks of how “the Kingdom of the Father is spread over the earth and men do not see it.”

It’s funny cause this is sort of the main problem I have with alot of religions… they don’t treat life as important as (I think) it should be.

I mean… say we get an eternity of doing whatever in the afterlife, that means that the time we’re alive is only but a sliver in the infinite spectrum… reincarnation or not, life should be treasured for what it is… a chance to feel, have perspective in the world of matter, of reality. I see life as heaven… just being alive offers so many possibilities.

I mean this is all speculative…but can you fall in love in paradise? How can pleasure exist if you have no concept of pain (whould a utopia even be one with it?).

I like this concept… I’m glad you brought it up Tent. I mean… it’s interesting to ponder how this outlook can be used to establish a type of control over people. If individuals believe life to be a sort of test, a rigorous examination until the sweet payoff that comes after it… then they are easily controllable, as they do not necessarily care that they arn’t ‘free’ in the sense that I’m speaking of - and that is a freedom based on limiting our outlook to the time we are alive. If you’re always looking ahead, you cannot see the chains on your feet… something like that.

anyways… I don’t wanna start a religious bash… just thought I’d point that out.

Hi Jerry,

Yes, the Thomas Gospel does see this world as the kingdom, but today’s christianity is founded on Augustinian concepts. In his City of God, Augustine argues that nothing of man is free from the bondage of original sin, and man’s nature was “as from corrupt root”. Thus, the City of Man was love of self, to the contempt of God. The heavenly City of God was the love of God, to the contempt of self. The medieval church and all Christian development since rejects the perfection of human community and instead sees the realization of man’s perfection in heaven, and not in humanity’s earthly existence. This world view isn’t a matter of literal -vs- metaphorical translation, it is the central core understanding. Seeing Christ as the savior of the world absolutely depends on humanity as intrinsically corrupt sinners, whose earthly lives can only be perfected in acceptance of salvation, to be rewarded in heaven.

JT

I don’t disagree, JT. Other than to suggest that there is a growing chorus of people calling themselves Christian, yet willing to consider Biblical interpretation not as literalists. That is to say that I can see another way, an eventual way, to achieve your preferred world view among people besides just secularism, as you had suggested.

Hi OG,

I don’t see the discussion as religion bashing, but simply pointing out the fact that almost all religious viewpoints are looking past an earthly home to ‘a better place’. Whether boldly stated or tacitly implied, those who espouse religious beliefs tend to have less interest in attempting to find and work toward a benevolent cooperative human condition. They don’t have a compelling need because their ultimate reward isn’t of this earth.

Jerry,

I do see that group of people who call themselves Christian and have the spiritual understanding of benevolent husbandry, but it is a small group indeed. Their soft voices are drown out by the strident proclamations of those who preach hellfire and damnation. The vast majority of those who call themselves christian look forward to Armegeddon. The want the second coming - now.

There is a religious community, quite prevalent in my part of the world, who proudly proclaim that they are in the world, but not of the world. Sadly, this is the underlying position of all religions. “Making ourselves better” means escaping this world “for a better place”.

Such an understanding, aided and abetted by all religious dogma, regardless the source, colors the focus and intent of those who would be religious. The mythology and utopian models of those religious doesn’t include being here, but being there. Much of the misery of humanity is directly attributable to this world view.

JT