Near Death Experience

How do you understand those stories/facts ?

For example, the guy that declare he went out of his body and before seeing angels and other unverifiable stuff like that, declare he saw a shoe on the roof of the hospital, so the doctor go to check… and here it is…

Reactions ? Are they all liars ? Is there something that science can’t [yet ?] explain ? etc etc.

Science could possibly explain it. You just need to be able to set up an experiment to conduct measurements when these people begin having their near death experiences. (Sign up right here for a controlled near death experience :evilfun: :evilfun: :evilfun: )

If the man is observing visually from some vantage point, it should follow that something in that area is absorbing at least some of the light in the area (otherwise, how is he constructing the image?) So if we could measure that absorbtion, we could possibly point to the area that he’s observing from while out of body. Perhaps further instruments could be used to detect further activity in the area (electromagnetic? distortion of the air? temperature changes? radiation? absorbtion of various spectra of light?)

Or we could come up empty handed, and have to conclude that you either believe the guy or you don’t.

I enjoy lifting weights. In the past I used to try to top myself with the amount lifted. I had a certain time of year when I would do this.

Several years ago I went for my bench press max (at the time) of 330 pounds. I worked myself up emotionally for this and then did it one, two, and then three times! On the third try I experienced something very close to what near-death people report. I would say that it was about 80% of the total package. The next day I felt like a truck had hit me.

Anyway, after all of that I decided to workout for health and enjoyment rather than for the need to perform feats.

It’s interesting, I find it really strange, but I actually believe that it’s possible. I’ve heard about people in coma, who retell story about their condition… they were on the Way, the Way, where they choose if they go in heaven or come back on the Earth… something similar, but I am christian, so I believe in such kind of stories.

Heaven and back? So you got kicked out of heaven? :smiley:

no they just don’t think your ready yet lol.

They have done studies where an object or word was placed out of view from everyone in the operating room, and placed them in hundreds of operating rooms where people would experience near death. No one was able to detect the objects. I wish I could find this study somewhere. Ill try.

sure but probably a billion people a year are near-death and only a handful have these expreiences. plus they didn’t tell them “ok when you leave your body see if you can find the shoe.”

What is interesting is that most people who claim to have had near-death experience have some sort of belief in the afterlife. To many in the West, this might entail seeing a bright light and an open door at the end of the corridor, but how far these are really experiences with another being or just figments of the imagination I am not sure.

The Jewish Philosoher Steven Katz is quite good on this; he argues that, with religious experiences at least, there is no such thing as a pure experience, it is all filtered through our religious or social beliefs, and accordingly the experiences differ greatly from one person to another and from one tradition to another.

Interesting post though, thanks.

Jon F

This topic has been touched upon obliquely in other threads, but through MRI imaging studies, it has been shown that certain focused thoughts can present feelings of an altered state of being. The same is true for small changes in brain chemistry. The research is in its’ infancy and nothing definitive allows any conclusions, but it suggests that some, or perhaps all ‘altered states of being’ may be more chemical than spiritual.

Of course, it doesn’t prove that altered brain chemistry doesn’t allow us to ‘see’ spiritual issues not available to normal consciousness. Man has been messing with chemicals to produce spiritual ‘seeing’ since he came across the first fermented grape.

The near death experience is usually related to some form of stress in the life of the person who has the experience. A true spiritual experience or a subtle change in brain chemistry? No one knows. I sort of like it that way.

JT

T,

That story about my weight lifting is totally true. I had the same experience bench pressing 330 pounds three times. On the third rep I felt like I was being touched by god, but in an uncomfortable sort of way. I think that the experience has to do with a stress reaction in the body.

As long as we live, all that stands between us and death is the want of a few litres of air or the next heatbeat. The distance between you and death can be bridged in a moment by a miniscule tear in your cerebral artery, or perhaps by a ragged blob of clotted blood urged onward by its liquid, flowing kin. You are fragile. And the crest of the wave of presense that you’re riding is naught but an on-going near-death experience. What you’re feeling at this moment is what it feels like to be within whispering-distance of death.

Someday, hopefully when I’m old and more tired than afraid, I’ll fall against death’s door. Perhaps I’ll feel the weight of my failing life begin to move the door. And just as the gap between the door and the frame begins to open, just when I might have a glimpse at death…I’ll suddenly die.

What does it feel like to “be” dead? You know that better than you know what it feels like to live. You’re an old-hand at death - an expert even. You already have a half-eternity of death under your belt. But, in case you’ve already forgotten, what it feels like to be dead is how you felt at 0817:32 on April, 16 in the year, I dunno, let’s say AD 1218. Or BC, if you like. It’s all the same.

Michael

The Adlerian wrote:

Often times a stressful situation can bring on experiences such as these. I cant really explain The Alderian’s, but many individuals who experience unintentional out of body experiences/OBE(important to note this is not limited to a near death experience), are usually under heavy stress. What this is also called is astral projection, or etheric traveling, etc. Basically whats believed is, we have more than one physical body, a set of bodies differing in density. When people report an OBE, there lower density body has seperated it from the more dense one, and considering its fluidity it has the ablility to travel across distances very quickly and also fly. In near death experiences people report leaving their bodies in a body similar in shape to their own, or either in an orb of light.