Philosophy of mind and of religion

What’s the relationship between the two fields? If it is proven* that there is no free will by philosophy of mind, then philosophy of religion will be deeply affected. There will be no more room for the concept of sin, or the concept of “free-will defense”.

Besides, there is a relation between how we conceive the nature of the mind and the problem of the afterlife. Does the mind perish with the body? Is the soul different from the mind? Does consciousness survive without personality? Is the mind more or less powerful when disembodied?

Besides, if animals have a mind very similar to that of men, how can Christianity account for that?

• Assuming that reason has some relevance to what is real.

There is no such thing as ‘philosophy of religion’. The two are oposites.

Philosophy seeks answers, while religion is convinced it already has them.

There can be no philosophy for a religious man, and no religion for a philosopher.

Hi,

That is fideism.

I wouldnt agree on that either!

Well, I think the influence of philosophy of mind (and psychology) expands well beyond philosophy of relegion. Every little corner of philosophy is affected by philosophy of mind. I mean, how do we arrive at philosophical conclusions? Through the mind. How does the mind work? Well, we try to find out in philosophy of mind. See? Our minds are the basis for all thought, observation, etc. so all philosophy catagories trace back to philosophy of mind.

There is a philosophy of religion, which is a rational enquiry into the basic tenets of religion (or submit a better definition, if you can, the you is for anyone).

Indeed, I think this is an arbitrary definition. Only a minority of relegious people beleive they have “all” the answers. Relegion/spirituality, done properly is a means to get in touch with something greater than yourself. Besides, I’ve heard many “philosophers” as well who claim to have all the answers.

Perhaps in the past, with the time of system builders, but nowadays I believe they are humbler.

So would you say that Descartes and Kant were not philosophers because they believed in God?