The lonely Prophet

The Lonely Prophet

The biggest problem with Christianity is the fact that it has lost direction. In our German community we are discussing cooperation between neighbouring communities to reduce costs. We visited each other comparing the groups we offer, looking at the varying main areas of work and it occurred to too few of us that we hadn’t discussed the spiritual component. On inspection, it has become apparent that our church, as it is all over the world to varying degrees, is unable to concentrate on the spiritual message and instead commits itself to political agendas. Thus, whatever political colour the church chooses to where, it compromises itself.

If there is something that I have learnt from the New Testament, it is that under Roman occupation, the varying political directions in Israel were having a covert struggle for power which Jesus had successfully avoided. Only when he came too close to the Sadducees for their comfort was he dragged in and served as a danger to social peace to the Romans. The whole direction of Jesus was independent spirituality; he was building an autonomous Movement that was orientated on the spiritual teachings of the Tanakh. All attempts to draw him to the one side or the other had been unsuccessful – he had continually defended his autonomy.

Of course, like in the Roman Church at a later stage, political disputes were often disguised as quarrels about Scripture to fool the imperial spies who were everywhere. The people who suffered under this pseudo-leadership were the common population. They were tired of Zealot uprisings from Galilee, the revenge of the Tetrarchs, the sanctimonious teachings of the Pharisees, the boot-licking of the Sadducees and the swindling Tax-Collectors. Jesus came and helped. What he taught gave people hope. He was selfless and dedicated; he taught people that God had other values than the powers that struggled under the carpet of Roman occupation. He praised the Widow for her perseverance, the poor for their patience, comforted the mourning, consoled the meek, and gave hope to those who hungered for righteousness; he encouraged the merciful, blessed the pure in heart, gave confidence to the peacemakers and strengthened the hearts of those who suffered persecution.

The same can be said about the Churches in the Roman Empire (roughly said) prior to Constantine. It had always been of great importance to retain independence, which caused problems in various Communities, when the Roman citizens objected to the influence that Christians were having. In societies where denunciators were commonplace, people who attempted to find alternative forms of living always have had dire problems with persecution. What Paul had once optimistically thought as being a means to win over some of the Jews, became at later stages the cause of massive oppression and the mass murder of many Christians. Ironically, the Christians did the same to the Jews later in history.

The message that Paul took on from Jesus, was that the Church was to be good to and pray for the non-Christian neighbours, showing that there was nothing subversive (at least for the people) about their mission. But jealousy obviously also played a role and clearly not all Christians could keep up their façade. Much of Paul’s ranting was directed at people who were compromising the Church in their precarious position within society, which explains how he sometimes “lost his rag.”

The Church has compromised itself on numerous occasions since then and has sometimes caused untold misery for countless people. As long as the Church enjoyed a certain status within society, this situation could remain hidden without implications. In our time and at least in Europe, this status is dwindling. The implications are as I described above: We are starting to sell the silver.

I wonder whether we will manage to find our way back to that lonely Prophet of whom we claim to be followers. Or perhaps God is waiting for someone to stand up and be that Prophet in our times … ?

Shalom

Old pirates, yes, they rob I;
Sold I to the merchant ships,
Minutes after they took I
From the bottomless pit.
But my hand was made strong
By the hand of the Almighty.
We forward in this generation
Triumphantly.
Won’t you help to sing
These songs of freedom? -
'Cause all I ever have:
Redemption songs;
Redemption songs.

Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;
None but ourselves can free our minds.
Have no fear for atomic energy,
'Cause none of them can stop the time.
How long shall they kill our prophets,
While we stand aside and look? Ooh!
Some say it’s just a part of it:
We’ve got to fullfil the book.

Won’t you help to sing
'Cause all I ever have:
Redemption songs;
Redemption songs;
Redemption songs.

Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;
None but ourselves can free our mind.
Wo! Have no fear for atomic energy,
'Cause none of them-a can-a stop-a the time.
How long shall they kill our prophets,
While we stand aside and look?
Yes, some say it’s just a part of it:
We’ve got to fullfil the book.
Won’t you help to sing
'Cause all I ever had:
Redemption songs -
All I ever had:
Redemption songs:
These songs of freedom,
Songs of freedom.

• Bob Marley, Redemption Song

A

Hi Angel,

yes, ever since my old school friend St. Patrick Rodriguez introduced me to Reggae and his family and life, I have had an affinity to people like Bob Marley. Every now and again, when I need some soul music, I play Exodus or Natural Mystic, and feel the movement he is trying to induce.

When he sang three little birds, I was at first angry - but it was the almost stoic attitude that kept him they way he was. “Every little thing, is gonna be alright…”

Natural Mystic
There’s a natural mystic blowing through the air;
If you listen carefully now you will hear.
This could be the first trumpet, might as well be the last:
Many more will have to suffer,
Many more will have to die - don’t ask me why.

Things are not the way they used to be,
I won’t tell no lie;
One and all have to face reality now.
'Though I’ve tried to find the answer to all the questions they ask.
‘Though I know it’s impossible to go livin’ through the past -
Don’t tell no lie.

There’s a natural mystic blowing through the air -
Can’t keep them down -
If you listen carefully now you will hear.

There’s a natural mystic blowing through the air.

This could be the first trumpet, might as well be the last:
Many more will have to suffer,
Many more will have to die - don’t ask me why.

There’s a natural mystic blowing through the air -
I won’t tell no lie;
If you listen carefully now you will hear:
There’s a natural mystic blowing through the air.
Such a natural mystic blowing through the air;
There’s a natural mystic blowing through the air;
Such a natural mystic blowing through the air.

Soul food …

Ah Bob, I love it. Bob was most certainly one of my very first teachers. He’s still my teacher. God bless Bob Marley.

A

bob why do you support christianity yet your not a christian? thats insane
to say the least.
if you noticed on another thread i have told evryone that from a personal point of view howcome it is right to “sin” not that i’m a satanist or anything just stating couple of natural facts that came along and people hate for some reason or other.

Orthodox Christianity has collapsed because it has no answers .

Which prophet is this ?

Well he was rastafarian . Bob marley was held together by a belief in god . Most devout . You should listen to prince Fari .

“i have no leaders i won’t accept followers all i want is friends”

Are you really only 14 ?

Hi Scottish guy,
sorry for the late reply, I was on holiday and computerless for a few weeks.

The lonely prophet is Christ who is waiting for his followers. Instead, those who want to be his followers are waiting for him - pretty ironic really.

Shalom

i like how you put that. i am christian and i just recently came about an understanding of different things on kind of a personal level after much philosophizing on the subject. that’s one of the things i realized is that many christians wait around for the next sign from god, the next set of tablets to read commands off of, but the truth is that god has made so much effort to come to us, it’s definitely our turn to walk to him.

What gives you the impression christ is lonely ?

If some people are awaiting for signs of miracles on earth , perhaps the appearance of a physical messiah before they will believe in christ or a God , I doubt they will ever become christians .

Equally if someone already believes in christ , but expects him to show up " physically " as christ , then I would say again that they are mistaken to think this way .

As far as Im aware there is no " actual " deity by the name of christ living in another dimension , pondering on when to appear on earth . If this were true it would contradict the scriptures of the bible concering christ & his teachings .

We must remember also that interpretation of the bible , mostly by western , academic clergymen , has misrepresented the heart and soul of what christianity was truly supposed to be. History can show numerous examples of this . Therefore these traditional interpretations by the established churches cannot be relied upon .

I dont believe there is anything to wait on . If im correct , then there are parables in the bible that outline the folly of a person who " waits " for God . The two brothers being given a talent each by their father being one of them.

How would you say we should approach ?

Hello Scottish Guy,

sorry about the delay!

Although there are a great deal of people who actually have this hope and believe that they are Christians. My idea of the lonely Prophet is based on the idea that the incarnation of God, “Menschwerdung”, is ongoing. God is more than an idea in the common understanding of the word, in as much as being an effective force in the lives of human-beings. I believe too that God has cosmic implications, although I couldn’t explain it other than to say that God is the Unity of Being in the universe.

Curiously, the creation myth is more a description of Being arising out of the material Universe. As such, it is a condensed description of the development of life leading up to our life of sentience. The Bible then goes on to describe the fall of man, his estrangement from Being itself, falling into an unquiet state, hiding, fearful – although it is also a state in which development is possible. The Christian mysticism understands the reconciliation brought by Christ as a reconciliation with the Unity of Being – the Ineffable.

This reconciliation enables the “Menschwerdung” to progress and the redemption of all creation. It enables appearance of the children of God at long last, a manifestation that, according to the Bible, the world has yearned for. It is here that the “meshiach” appears - originally a political term which refers to the royal figure of the king who is anointed with oil at his crowning. But the prophecy says that Israel will be a people of Kings and Prophets.

In post-exilic times (3rd-1st Century BCE), the hope of meshiach became the hope of a “deliverer”. That is, one who will restore Israel and gather her people back to their homeland. The fact that Christians saw Jesus in this role has caused Jews to reject him, for quite obvious reasons. But to understand that he started a movement which would culminate into a messianic concept that refers not only to a “person” but the very “reality” of the well-being and fulfillment of Israel, is something that even Jewish scholars are discussing – albeit not with Jesus in mind.

“Judaism still awaits the fulfillment of meshiach; various sects of Judaism interpret it in various ways, e.g., as an actual person who will rebuild the Temple in Jerusalem (at the site upon which currently stands the Muslim Dome of the Rock), as one who will restore Israel, regather her people who are dispersed throughout the world, and thereby establish a worldwide covenantal kingdom, or as the overall socio-political “condition” of justice and peace in the world.”
staff.jccc.net/thoare/126judaism.htm

Shalom

A parable if you will: A certain mechanic went in business with two greedy car salesman who had no prior knowledge of running a service dept. The mechanic becomes the “service manager”. Things go really well, and the mechanic is entreated to show the salesmen how to run the service dept, he is treated well, spoiled even. Then they even hire him a cheap apprentice to teach. After a short time, He begans to lose favortism from the salesman. One day he is even fired. The apprentice takes over. Things go badly after this, and the Salesmen contact the mechanic asking him to come back, BUT as a simple mechanic to the salesmen turned “service managers”. The mechanic responds" How can you be my boss when I taught you what you know?" “If you teach me how to fix a car I will be your slave as you wish.” My point, everyone wants to be superior to others, whether it comes from more money, knowledge, or more cars than someone else. A person who posseses superior knowledge has a choice to make. a. share it and make others equal to him as soon as possible b. horde it, and give a little at a time to keep them coming back to you so you stay superior to them at all times. c. sell it and become superior to them that way. What would happen if everyone did a.? We have seen what happens with b. and c. This is a great folly we have done, hurting ourselves while hurting others. This is a great sin of the churches, industries, governments. We will have no rest until we stop doing it, in fact, we will soon destroy ourselves as the salesman destroyed their successful business. By GREED and lust for power over others.

I think you have a point. But what “superior knowledge” could we possibly possess? We are all basically equal, circumstances may differ and a minority may drop out of the middle because of various reasons, but we are generally different because of our experiences, not because that difference is inherent.

Through bartering, mankind learned to use those differences to gain a communal variety of talents. The use of money helped make that system of exchange more flexible – until owning the means of exchange became a sign of great wealth and prestige. In reality, people who sell all and hoard money are as effective as a blood clot or haematoma. They endanger the organism. Thereby, such acclaimed superiority is an illusion.

I think that we should understand that religion has a useful role to play in society, but a role that has nothing to do with spirituality. That is why people can be very pragmatic and rational about it. But as soon as religion becomes inspiring, causing people to fall out of the role that society wishes them to have, it is regarded as being subversive – whilst all along, it is our economy that is socially subversive.

Shalom

Bob you make some good points. I think the answer lies in us all, The truth or answer is there, it is our job to keep asking questions, and seeking answers to those questions, until the problem is GONE. NOT lying down like wimps, and saying "oh that is a problem we have, that will we will always have. What kind of attitude is that? We don’t roll like that here in Kentucky.
Further, are we going to wait until our leaders start trying to find answers to our problems, and solving them, putting themselves out of work? Wake up ok. They don’t care about us, or our childrens futures. Even further, they don’t care about their OWN childrens futures. It is up to us. If we find a possible answer, it is up to someone to try it, and verify it. Then we can all benefit from it. That is, unless somebody gets greedy and would rather sell it for money and glory. That is how I have been doing it, I listen to your ideas and points, then I develop a plan of action, and do it. I have had alot of success using this approach. It would be nice to have some help, but I have to say, It is not “work” to me. It is fun, rewarding, “recreation”, that money cannot even come close to touching.
My household is a really good testbed, it has every problem you could imagine. And I am seeing progress. I want that for everyone. Rich and poor.

Dear David,

I agree, although I think that it is important to understand the problem in order to know why we have to do whatever we have to do. For example, here in Germany there are thousands of managers in positions that are completely ineffective, who block development and the innovation of the workers. They have no idea of what modern management is. When you criticise, you get the feeling that they feel personally criticised, instead of the fact that they are ineffective to the degree of blocking the effectiveness of others.

The same is going on in the Churches. Our church is suffering under the method of funding that has been in place since WWII, and because people are no longer connecting with their message. Instead of starting to reduce from the top, it is the parish or community that is called to save money. A church full of bishops with too few pastors is worthless. We need a church that connects with people more than a church that people have to connect with. This is where I say that Christ is the lonely Prophet who called us to follow him – to the poor, to the sick, to the oppressed, to the imprisoned, to the beaten. Instead, people want to have impressive preachers and cathedrals, they want to see a display of power, not of love.

To do the things above, we need to organise ourselves into decentralised groups that are inspired to be socially innovative and follow the example of Jesus. Again, Christians seem to think that if they become a large enough group, they can do more. They may make more noise, but they are invariably less effective than the autonomic decentralised groups who connect personally. But to do that, we need faith in that calling. We have to trust that God’s cause will prevail, even if we do not survive. That is what faith is about - not about literally believing some biblical statement or that the rapture will come in my lifetime.

I think I have been very clear about giving unto Caesar what is his, but unto God what is His. I have no illusions and am very awake. Globalisation is an economic machine that trundles along impersonally. There are no values tied to this machine except $$$. To see it as a means to help people would be illusionary. You may be in a position to profit today, but will you be there tomorrow? I believe we have to get braced to face widespread poverty and show mercy towards those who need food and water, who are imprisoned or oppressed and who mourn or suffer. God uses our hands to redeem the world.

Shalom