that at least one god exists

1.Everything that is,is dependant on something else for its existence(nothing is self-existent)
2.This would lead to an ontological infinite regress of dependant beings
3.Postulating an infinite number of real things leads to all kinds of paradoxa
4.Paradoxa cannot exist in reality since it would entail a true logical contradiction
5.Thus from 3 and 4 it follows that there cannot be an infinite regress of real things
6.Thus there cannot be an infinite regress of dependant beings
7.From 2 and 6,it would appear both that there are and there cannot be an infinite regress of dependant beings
8.Therefore we must reject that nothing is self-existent and conclude that at least one self-existent being exists
9.Let’s call this self-existing being god for short
10.Conclusion:at least one god exists

My question is this the ONLY self-existing being that exists.

Hi Arisce

Perhaps God does not exist but IS defined as “being” itself. Existence may be within IS as facets of creation. From this point of view, there is no such thing as only self existent because existence initiating within being is dependent upon being.

Welcome to ILP :smiley:

The self-existent being may be devoid of attributes which are essential to God. It may be nature. It may be an unconscious and indifferent principle of existence.

Glad to meet another theistic prover. :stuck_out_tongue:

1.Everything that is,is dependant on something else for its existence(nothing is self-existent)
O- Then there is no God, or that God = nothing.

2.This would lead to an ontological infinite regress of dependant beings
O- true.

3.Postulating an infinite number of real things leads to all kinds of paradoxa
O- Like what? Perhaps they are not paradoxes, but self-imposed limits.

4.Paradoxa cannot exist in reality since it would entail a true logical contradiction
O- Answer 3 and we may discuss this.

5.Thus from 3 and 4 it follows that there cannot be an infinite regress of real things
O- Then 1 is false, for not everything is dependent and you imagine an independent thing.

6.Thus there cannot be an infinite regress of dependant beings
O- Why not? Because of paradoxes? How do you make it outside a room? Isn’t it a paradox that we must travel 1/2 the distance infinietly and yet we walk out of the room? Paradoxes are not items of experience but of ideas.

7.From 2 and 6,it would appear both that there are and there cannot be an infinite regress of dependant beings
O- Appearances can be deceiving…

8.Therefore we must reject that nothing is self-existent and conclude that at least one self-existent being exists
O- Why not make that self existent “being” is the Cosmos itself? If we must reject that all things are dependent and posit that at least one thing is independent then why not suppose that thing to be the Universe? Having rejected the first proposition, i.e. that “Everything that is,is dependant on something else for its existence(nothing is self-existent)”, it is rational to posit here anything from the oceans of this earth, or the earth itself, to the universe which contains them both and of which we know of no other thing which contains it in return. The universe cannot be contain and is independent of human reason and therefore is rationally the “being” which you make reference to…or should.

9.Let’s call this self-existing being god for short
O- See 8 for my retort.

10.Conclusion:at least one god exists
O- See 8 once more.

My question is this the ONLY self-existing being that exists.
O- You still have yet to convince of the existence of even the first of the Gods.

well a single god has freedom to deceive and desroy at his own will correct
lets say the jewish god is infected with a superhuman virus (talking about jesus) the trinity is infected leaving human mentality weak but if god is so powerful then he would banish this virus with ease but what if it was planted their because of past mistakes (being baptized,saving blind people,saving crowds from hunger) their has to be a price needed for any form of being including those that don’t know whats going on like humans were suddenly infected without reason but why ecause of ourselves we were not supposed to be here we dont belong in the jewish god’s trinity unless we are tolls and nothing more but let’s say sense god “loves” his creations lets make the situation backfire easily into “hatred” prooving god is really evil in the eyes of a tempter like the satan “who i personally like :D” so would this state a single creator is wrong or just mis-used by a lower form of being or humanity for desrpyong nature and believing in a opposite creator (satan) so are we all
just bound to sin and punishment until we “believe” i cant doubt something like that its a high possibility.

i reject 9: lets call it the universe instead.
If you are going to allow ‘self existence’, why not let the universe itself self-exist? Even if causality is taken to be a universal law there is no reason to believe it applies to the universe as a whole.

To show you by analogy:
1.Every program that runs,is dependant on some other program to execute it (nothing is self-executing)
2.This would lead to an ontological infinite regress of dependant processes
3.Postulating an infinite number of programs leads to all kinds of paradoxa
4.Paradoxa cannot exist since it would entail a true logical contradiction
5.Thus from 3 and 4 it follows that there cannot be an infinite regress of programs
6.Thus there cannot be an infinite regress of dependant processes
7.From 2 and 6,it would appear both that there are and there cannot be an infinite regress of dependant processes
8.Therefore we must reject that nothing is self-existent and conclude that at least one self-existent program exists
9.Let’s call this self-existing being OMNI PROGRAM
10.Conclusion:at least one OMNI PROGRAM exists

Hi oreso,
Your reply is food for thought.I am glad that the argument is “attacked” and not the person.I say this because I have posted on other forums and it was a bad experience to say the least.
If the OMNI PROGRAM is another name for God then I am with you.But if you define this OMNI PROGRAM differently then I would be interested in knowing what that definition is.

P.S.The eternal silence of the infinite regress of the universe is not satisfying.I prefer a self-existing Being(God).

The problem I have with calling the self existant thing Nature, or The Universe, is that by all accounts, we know that nature and the universe are not the sorts of things that can self-exist- that was the point of the argument in the first place. The one thing you can say about anything in nature is that it will come to an end sooner or later. To say that the whole of The Universe is what self-exists amounts to say ‘there will always be some stuff’ which may or may not be true- if there is something that exists forever, it’s not like anything we’ve studied with science, which leaves the original argument untested.

theres nothing like good ad hominem, unfortunately. I like to think I am ruthless in a jovial way, but if you are attacking someone’s character then you have already lost the argument.

I was using a deliberately absurd analogy, not being serious :slight_smile:

Stated more clearly:
Given that something must self-exist for the universe to exist,
It is more likely that:
a. The universe must self-exist.
Rather than:
b. Some wierd complex entity self-exists and created everything else.

Do you dispute that God is an unnecessarily complex conclusion to your argument?

What you prefer shouldnt be the issue, i am talking about what is most likely to be the case.
But for what its worth, Im not a supporter of an infinite universe either (though i cannot rule it out totally, the universe could have changed form from what it is today).

Thats true (depending how you interpret quantum mechanics) of the contents of the universe, but i see no support for the view that it must apply to the universe itself.

Its not the same thing at all. If something can cause itself to exist, it may well be able to cause itself to not exist just as easily, not that it must exist indefinitely.

I beg to differ; lots of things studied in science do not experience time. Anything moving at the speed of light (including light itself) for instance.

“The problem I have with calling the self existant thing Nature, or The Universe, is that by all accounts, we know that nature and the universe are not the sorts of things that can self-exist- that was the point of the argument in the first place.”

O- That was the weak point of the argument, if you ask me. What are all these “accounts” you invoke?

“The one thing you can say about anything in nature is that it will come to an end sooner or later.”
O- Not under all theories, and we discussed this before. Selective study of science is dishonest and can only lead to pre-conceived conclusions. That is, it seems to me that while many other theories might posit an eternal universe, because you’ve a theological end to maintain and protect, you ignore, not on the merit on the theories around, but on the conveneince or danger they present to your convictions.

“To say that the whole of The Universe is what self-exists amounts to say ‘there will always be some stuff’ which may or may not be true- if there is something that exists forever, it’s not like anything we’ve studied with science, which leaves the original argument untested.”
O- A guy named Einstein onced mused that matter is not created nor destroyed, but merely transformed. Creatio ex nihilio is a philosophical problem that cannot be resolved and as far as I am concerned no one has answered Russell’s problem with sets.

Nice ‘preconceived conclusion’ there. Theres no reason to think that any problem is unsurmountable simply because you cant imagine a way to surmount it yet. It just so happens that lots of scientists and philosophers consider creation quite seriously, did you study all of their work before you rejected the problem?

Whats wrong with Russells own answers to the set problem btw? What has this got to do with creation?

Bottom line: controversial claims require reasons and support to be worth posting.

Hi omar,
I beg to differ.I think that it was Lavoisier who came up with “nothing is created or destroyed” a century before Einstein.But I digress.What has russell’s problem got to do with this thread.I see this has a red herring.Correct me if I am wrong.

1- Is Einstein wrong?
2- Suppose we determine a set, say “planets”.
3- These planets are contained within another set, say a “solar system”.
4- These sets are contained in yet a larger set we call the “universe”.
5- This set is further contained by God.
*6- But God can be reasonable made an individual of yet another set and that set which contains God, further be reasoned to belong to another set and this can continue without end without violating itself.
7- We do not expand the Circle eternally, but all circles are formed arbitraerly, as if ad hoc. The expansion can and would continue and is only kept in check by concepts like nature, God or universe, all abstractions of the expansion which eludes our experience, leaving out and forgetting or worse denying and delusional what there is.
It is the concepts themselves that define our reality, what we tell ourselve “is” or is not, but under creative consideration, or, scepticism we find that our limits are self-imposed restrains.

I have read your comments and can agree entirely with what you say. Thus we are right–?

Last. The biggest philosophical problem is the demonstration that something can come from nothing.
The problem is that again we can regress in the chain of being, yet the end of the rope is a simple nut we tie and say: “that is God. There shall be no more regress”.
Whether we end in God or in Nature or in some Mover, we still can theorize about what was there before. Consider the ban Once…some 20 years ago, considered as almost true. Yet now the Bang is but a theory within a larger M-Theory (which is itself but a compilation of theories).
Have we found the truth?
I believe we have found a better way to explain existence to ourselves and that truth is but what we have agreed upon.

About the creation or destruction of matter? Of course, because we now know that the present matter/energy has probably not existed indefinitely and so must have at some point been created (and certain theoretical experiments have proposed other methods of creating or destroying matter/energy).

A point of interest, Einstein was wrong about more than a few things.

Since we can only observe the sets contained withing the set universe, why bother speculating about what lays beyond it? What support do you have that such a set which contains the universe exists?

Nope. If God exists then he is omnipresent and infinite. No set can be greater than him as it would contradict his nature.

Of course, i would say that these abstractions are based on the universe as it is perceived and it makes no sense to talk about the stuff we cannot perceive. “What there is” as independant of “what can be experienced” is a complete nonsense.

Nope, we cannot. “Before” is a temporal concept, and time BEGAN at the big bang. There was no “before” the big bang and hence there can be no cause to it.

You are abusing m-theory. (Presumably) it will explain the mechanics of how the big bang happened, but i see no support for how it will detail what ‘caused’ it.

Whoa,whoa,whoa!
What is M-theory?Is it relevant to this thread?Please explain.

Omar,

The ultimate set is called Reality, and this set may or may not contain God as a part. There is no infinite regress of sets.

Me:

oreso:

Well, that's what I mean when I say it leaves the original argument untested.  What you are essentially arguing for here is the possibility of some aspects or objects in the Universe being totally unlike what we know about the Universe's contents. That unknown factor maybe God, or it may be something else, but what we can say [i]at least[/i] is that what we know about the natural world does not lead us to believe that natural things can be enternal, or self-existant. God has been suggested to be such all along. 
  Now, before someone points out that God is a concept developed to fill the gap of an unaccounted for existsence, I would remind people that the concept of God (along with the concept of Nature) existed long before this argument. Think of it this way: If we become convinced that there must be a first cause, our options are an unknown, indescribable property of Nature unlike what we already know of Nature, or God, who fits the discription perfectly, and in whom billions of people were already believing in regardless of this argument. So, God is not a gap-filler in this case.

Its not totally unlike the universes contents, and the universes contents have already been revealed to be radically different to what we observe directly. Certain interpretations of Quantum mechanics is precisely what suggests the universe creating itself.
Even given what you say, what is more likely:
Universe created itself.
Strange complex entity created the universe.

You are making an assumption either way to be sure, but the second one assumes a heck of a lot more. The stuff about “people were already believing in it” doesnt help the argument itself.

1- Is Einstein wrong?

About the creation or destruction of matter? Of course, because we now know that the present matter/energy has probably not existed indefinitely and so must have at some point been created (and certain theoretical experiments have proposed other methods of creating or destroying matter/energy).
O- Theoretical? Well then that is far from enough to give you “we now know”.

Quote:
2- Suppose we determine a set, say “planets”.
3- These planets are contained within another set, say a “solar system”.
4- These sets are contained in yet a larger set we call the “universe”.
5- This set is further contained by God.

Since we can only observe the sets contained withing the set universe, why bother speculating about what lays beyond it? What support do you have that such a set which contains the universe exists?
O- I don’t, and I was only trying to repeat the same point yopu made and say it as much in my last post.

Quote:
*6- But God can be reasonable made an individual of yet another set and that set which contains God, further be reasoned to belong to another set and this can continue without end without violating itself.

Nope. If God exists then he is omnipresent and infinite.
O- To a christian perhaps, but to the gnostics that was hardly the case. Besides the point here is that once you introduce what is beyond nature, you have no reason to stop adding to whatever exist…including God #1 out of N.
No set can be greater than him as it would contradict his nature.
O_ It contradict the definition of the concept and nothing more. It offends the vanity of man…especially christian man.

Quote:
7- We do not expand the Circle eternally, but all circles are formed arbitraerly, as if ad hoc. The expansion can and would continue and is only kept in check by concepts like nature, God or universe, all abstractions of the expansion which eludes our experience, leaving out and forgetting or worse denying and delusional what there is.

Of course, i would say that these abstractions are based on the universe as it is perceived
O- Perceive as of now, not absolutetly perceived but provicionally. Thus, what there is or may be, IS dependent on what can be perceived.

Quote:
Last. The biggest philosophical problem is the demonstration that something can come from nothing.
The problem is that again we can regress in the chain of being, yet the end of the rope is a simple nut we tie and say: “that is God. There shall be no more regress”.
Whether we end in God or in Nature or in some Mover, we still can theorize about what was there before.

Nope, we cannot.
O- Yes we can and have. Sorry if you do not like it.

“Before” is a temporal concept, and time BEGAN at the big bang. There was no “before” the big bang and hence there can be no cause to it.
O- That is the dogma of the theory not the proof.

Quote:
Consider the ban Once…some 20 years ago, considered as almost true. Yet now the Bang is but a theory within a larger M-Theory (which is itself but a compilation of theories).

You are abusing m-theory.
O- Far be it from me such heresy.

(Presumably) it will explain the mechanics of how the big bang happened, but i see no support for how it will detail what ‘caused’ it.
O- Did I say anything about whatr caused it? My point is that it may just convince, not prove, the eternity of the universe.
Personally I could never take in the dogma of the Big Bang and feel that even if the M-theory is abandoned, only something similar might convince me. I can only use as my defense the fact that we reason in “categories”, and that one might require such concepts as time and space if the universe is to be declared rational.

Wrong. God is an individual. Not a set.

God can belong to the set of real beings, or to the set of imaginary beings, dependent on your viewpoint.

There is no regress to infinite. We end up with the set of real beings, and the set of unreal beings. We can’t go further.