Aquinas and anti-semitism

I am studying Aquinas and would like to know if he was an anti-semite.So far in my studies we have not encountered any anti-semitism.Of course I have not read all(8 million words) of his work.However I was reading Aquinas at school and someone pointed out that Aquinas believed all Jews were going to hell.I could find no support for this.As a matter of fact he is well liked in Jewish studies.Can anyone help me clarify (either way) was he an anti-semite ot not?Thanks!

P.S.Give reference in his work where he is(or is not).Double thanks!!

In your readings, does Aquinas sound like someone that would be an anti-Semite?
I think he was more upset about thinkers who said God has a body.

In my little experience, I only remember his mentioning Jews in 1) quoting the philosopher Maimonides, and 2) in his explanation of the sacraments.

Also, this may seem odd, but his work against Muslims is his “Summary Against the Gentiles”. In a way Christians can see themselves as within the Jewish fold. (At least I think that’s the explanation for that title.)

Wasn’t he the one that said that all the women that got raped during an invasion, and felt any enjoyment, were going to hell? One can draw from that.

Note to self: do not enjoy buttsex from invading Canadians.

No, actually I’m pretty sure that was Augustine, and speaking about Vestal virgins. It was more of a question about whether they went against their promises as virgins. They saw things such things in the close of the Roman Empire. What kind of woman gets a kick out of an invader’s forcing to have sex anyway?

In your readings, does Aquinas sound like someone that would be an anti-Semite?Not at all,but…

In my little experience, I only remember his mentioning Jews in 1) quoting the philosopher Maimonides, and 2) in his explanation of the sacraments.

There was a letter to the Duchess of Brabant that speaks about governing the Jews.But I do not know if it is authentic(by him).Can you help?

I share your concern with anti-Semitism.

I can find no information online on Aquinas and the Duchess, but he did argue with a Siger of Brabant (who believed something could be true in philosophy and false in religion). Do you have a translation of the letter? Perhaps a professor of Medieval studies could help; it goes past my knowledge.

I’m sorry. I can’t help you.

my real name

thomistica.net/thomas-aquina … r-to-marg/

Hi my real name,
Here is the letter to Margaret of Flanders where St-Thomas speaks of the Jews.I am curious to know what you think.

Okay, looking at the first two letters, I am of the opinion that this letter was not written by Aquinas. He provides no reason why Jews should be stolen from, and usually in his writing he’s very good at providing arguments.

If the later writings, however, say that Jews should live in their own city – that was a common Medieval viewpoint.

I will probably read the rest later, but that is my first impression.

I am confused.There is only one letter.Where do you get the other letter.I believe that the letter is authentic because it is listed in his authentic works.It is called ON THE GOVERNING OF THE JEWS.Written to Margaret.
Even the works of uncertain authenticity do not mention another letter.Please clarify.

P.S.Epistola ad comitissam Flandriae

I wouldn’t be surprised if Aquinas believed Jews as defined as those who are “adherants of Judaism” were not headed for heaven. However Jews ought not to feel special in this regard - as far as medieval Catholicism was concerned, that was pretty much true of anyone who was not confessionally a Catholic Christian.

To define such as “anti-semitism” is over the top, beside being inaccurate. In fact, I think that term (anti-semite) is itself far too unclear/obtuse to be very useful anyway. As of this time, I perceive in it much that is political, and simply meant to end conversation/debate in the name of misplaced sensitivity (specifically over sensitivity). For example, medieval Christendom’s disfavour of Jews hinges upon their beliefs - it has no “racial” dimension… yet by lumping such 19th century obsessions as “blutt” and “race” in regard to “the Jews” with medieval-Christian opposition to Judaism under this larger than life term “anti-semitism”, we only muddy what would otherwise be pretty clear waters.

Porch Guy or STOA,

What you are saying is that you read the relevant passages in this thread and you claim that Aquinas is not anti-semitic.I agree that he was not.Furthermore he probably had a very good notion of the Jews.But I have not read ALL of his work so I cannot be sure.The thread was asking IF there was any indication that he was (and where in his work).As you clearly state;your post only muddies the water.As clear as I can be,does anybody know IF Aquinas was an anti-semite?Give support-if any-with references in his work.I gave you the EPISTOLA AD FLANDRIAE.Read it and comment.Add any other sources so that I may peruse the text and judge for myself.Thanks!

Okay, one letter, many responses. I mean the first response.

The other responses seem to have to do with usury. One might ask, if Christians were so concerned with Jews committing usury, why did they encourage usury and not forbid it?

my real name