after-life theories detract from longevity research!?

My mother, for example, believes that only God can cure ageing.

Antizar told me “you value life to much!” and this infuriated me!

I think that gerontology reseach is VERY under-funded and under-developed considering that ageing is the main source of human death!

I am very sick of smug religious attitudes towards human death!

I think that smug attitudes about death contribute to foolish and wasteful focuses on things besides long term individual human existances.
prove me wrong
I want asenescense for all of you aswel as myself!
who could possably be against that!?^

I am athiest. The only problem I have with death is how I die. Not wanting too much pain, not wanting to cough up my lungs.

After death is OK by me. I believe that I will immediately awake again somewhere…

Heaven probably, but without a God, just Heaven with advanced people.

Or Earth again.

Or another planet like Earth.

Anyway, my basis is that we cannot know death, only life. So we could be dead for a billion years, but it would seem that we wake up immediately.

My freind and fellow human…
i am a theist, but believe in no imortality of the soul.
I am cautiously optamistic about a resurection, but thats about it.

I know about wholistic existance, peaces of self, animate and inanimate matter…
I have seen many people like you “Pincho Paxton”,
let me tell you somthing:
i have had near death experiances before,
and un-imaginable pain, yet fought for life every second.
I believe in valor. I have a problem though…
maybe im not strong enough… and id crumble if there was too much pain one day…
Its very complex it is…
But that day has not come to me, i ignore doom… i wish to fear no pain at all, only death.

I cant find the words to say this, but i realy do value life here and now, and i value you all to, humanity. I dont wanna presume upon anything else.

Do you have any idea what I could do to you, without the release of death as an escape? I’m against eartly immortality, simply because I don’t think it will make us (humanity) any happier.

You have learned fear, you have understood pain.
You say “do you have any idea what i coud do to you”,
because you want me to wake up!!!
I am awake.
Im not afraid of you as you know, i also understand human capasity for evils.

I am not focused on happey, i am focused on alive, because when you are alive you can learn and make progress.
People know that they will die of old age here on earth anyways, so then they dont realy think their life has as much value, they think like it is doomed… and it is. Earth is a sick joke to life…

If the bible is true… and the verses i read were true,
then God was a fool to me. I know that if we did not die from old age, then with time we would get smarter and sin less with time individualy. Was it about sin?
All i see is blind anger and judgement, and liternaly no compassion or decency… Im not afraid of God anymore, i usedto be more religious then all of you i think, but then i change. I put the truth above God… Now i dont care if he is there or not, or what he think of me, because im not afraid. I will be for life, as i was from it.
^
My own religion now, is so deep and took so long for me to make…
that i think i waste my time by starting to talk about it.
What you value and what you think good and bad is has alot to do with what you need and what you learn. I know that we need to be alive more then to feal or think 1 mere ideal… If i was God i would heal and not judge… as human i will try to heal and not judge.

Uccisore, i think you might be a bit opinionated about somthing.
If you were alive hundereds of years ago you might be dead right now,
because of no health care and not much understanding of human need back then, you know life expectancy is over twice now what it was in ancient greece for example.
Satisfaction will always be optional, i am not talking about stupid thoughts and desires, im talking about being alive. I think that what is most holy is medical sceince, not strict and stupid law of… suposed god… not that i know him.

In my passed i had great anger at God, before that i had fear, now i dont fear him, i wont play any stupid games no more, i am more and more sain as time passes. I realize long ago that the root of justice is existance of life. Health is the scale of right and wrong, it is all connected to existance. No more death will mean far more joy and wisdom for each.

oh, and about torture.
Torture is for stupid and frustrated compassionless ideots.
If i am angery, i do not hurt anyone or insult, because i know that being an ideot does not fix. I will be willing to change mind and learn, then pateintly solve the problem instead of get mad that who and what i currently am is not working.
Also i know i can recover from torture,
the strife in my family many years ago when i was young was an exasporateing maddening torture, but i am still alive and now that i understand i can stop it from ever happening to me again!
Now i dont have to be hurt by anyone, or hurt anyone anymore ever,
because we live and learn. It is perfect example of survival being same as progress if not better then it.

I commend you for thinking outside of the box and seeing some of the dangers of organized religion, but it seems to me that you are only substituting one evil for another.

the religion you fled from was, according to your observations, man made. but the religion you have formed for yourself can’t be any better, even if you don’t start recruiting people to be a part of the new religion you’ve begun.

you’ve jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire. it’s simply another fallible belief system.

But what if the flaw isn’t any religion, but all of them. I don’t want anyone else to have the exact same spiritual beliefs as me because I convinced them.

Even with religion, you should be primarily a person and secondarily a member. Join the group because you can enjoy yourself around like-minded people, but don’t change yourself to join one. Don’t convince others to change and join yours. You may have them leave theirs behind, but offer them no advice as to the true nature of the world. Don’t organize your own religion when organized religion is the problem.

You know the truth of it… the sad truth…
Everything i think or feal is man made, im a man.
oh well, atleast i love you guys :smiley:

I was thinking on making a wed site someday were i listed off everything that i believed and thought, so that maybe some people could benifite, thats it.

if is far better for me now.
Now i have my priorities strait, im not so opinionated about things that dont have much proof.
You wanna know what the root of my religious belief is?
Try to do whats right, instead of what feals most pleasurable.
It is simply an extention of my personality actualy, and my values system.

Out of all of my net freinds that i chat to, i dont preach at them, but when i see them trying to live and solve problems in their life, i try to be supportive… well some days i preach kinda, but its just expression,
people need to talk about what they feal strongly about.

I dont want people to think just like me or be just like me,
i want them to do what ever works best for them so that they can be healthy.

Everyone’s life is their own responsability and i dont think that they should let other people think for them, but then there was a BIG focus on submission back in my old religion… its like “if you submit and trust us and dont fight back then you will be saved” kind of trash.
I say fight! dont take any shit from nobody! Dont listen to me if im wrong, tell me to shut the hell up if im saying wrong things, because you and me both should want to be right.

Im not a leader, i cant preach. All i am is a freind…
I wish i could realy help humanity out somehow but my own religion i dunno if ill ever spread much of…
isnt peaching kind of like arogance?..

We will see, we will see, my own philosophies still are under development, if i ever wrote a book about my religion id not call it a religion but an option of beliefe that applied to everything in your life.
If i did make a big write up i would get alot of facts and hard numbers to back up stuff though.

So, as long as people are alive, whether or not they are happy is besides the point? Hmm. Well, that’s fine if you want to go that way, and I know you aren’t really interested in looking at this deeply, since it might lead to being opinionated, but hopefully you at least see how someone could ‘possibly disagree with you’. It seems rather easy for a person to prefer a happy life to a long life.

suggesting that you were opinionated was one of those polite insults that are useless, i take it back and im sorry.
Let me explain myself:

When you are alive you can make progress and try hard to make your life better so that you can be happey! Pleasure is like the natural motive behind progress benifite or gain right? So you get pleasure from what is good for you most of the time, and it hurts if you hurt yourself, but then things like addiction can hurt us sometimes.

When you are strong and healthy its easier to be happey to.
If the word “happey” meant “state of well being” then i would say “happey” is more important then merely being alive, but if “happey” meant a person has as much pleasure as possable, then i think “happey” is not more important then “alive”.

what i basicly am saying is that i dont want bad things to happen to us,
so that we dont get killed off, then we can make progress, learn and be truely happey with our life if nothing can perminently defile or destroy it.

I am opinionated, and so is everyone else with a brain in their head. No offence taken.

I do? I would like to think so, but clearly that’s not the case with everyone. Maybe you mean that people should do this?

Well, maybe. Some people would say that pleasure [i]is[/i] the good. That is, it's not as though pleasure is some chemical in our brains tricking us into doing what is actually the right thing, rather, certain things are right simply because they cause pleasure and that's that. You see it the other way around- that pleasure is a signal that we're doing something right, but 'right' is defined by something other than pleasure- it's defined by health and survival.  I half-agree with you. I think 'right' is defined by something other than pleasure, but I don't think it's survival or health either. 

Yes.

When you say 'us', do you mean mankind (everyone who has lived, will live, and lives now), or do you mean the people who happen to be alive right this moment?  Because I see a couple problems here:
 Firstly, 'mankind' can still progress even if [i]these[/i] people die. That's exactly what has been happening throughout history. As a matter of fact, that's exactly what the practice we call 'Historicism' is for. 
 Secondly, death is only one of the problems we face. Surely, if we didn't die anymore, the problem of death would be solved. But, other problems would either stay the same or get worse, and I see no reason why longevity would necessarily cure them. New problems would arise.

Hi Dan,

What is right, Dan? How do you come to that conclusion? If no religion tells you what’s right, how can you distinguish what you think is right and what is actually just pleasing to you?

I want the cure for ageing,
i want to preserve the individual.

Ive desided to base my view of right and wrong on health and well being,
not on religious or cultural law, and not on average opinion.
Its so personal that maybe i should stop talking about it…
I tought it to myself and prayed for it,
i didnt learn it from a single preacher of it.
I think im rather alone in my belief, still there are some who willl agree.

Don’t be afraid, Dan! You’ve got some good ideas, you just need to begin the process of polishing them, and that involves people asking you lots of tough questions, and you seriously thinking about those questions and taking them to heart. “People are disagreeing? Maybe I should stop talking about my beliefs, then…” is a coward’s way out!

Uccisore is right, Dan, don’t be afraid to talk about this stuff just because people disagree with you. And I’m not disagreeing with you, I’m asking questions for my own clarification, because I believe I have a lot to learn, and for your clarification as well.

Are you speaking of your own health and well being? Or the health and well being of your neighbor? Who is your neighbor?

Uccisore is right, Dan, don’t be afraid to talk about this stuff just because people disagree with you. And I’m not disagreeing with you, I’m asking questions for my own clarification, because I believe I have a lot to learn, and for your clarification as well.

Are you speaking of your own health and well being? Or the health and well being of your neighbor? Who is your neighbor?

Uccisore is right, Dan, don’t be afraid to talk about this stuff just because people seem to disagree with you. And I’m not disagreeing with you, I’m asking questions for my own clarification, because I believe I have a lot to learn, and for your clarification as well.

Wow, my browser just flipped out on me.

Maybe the mods can fix my quadruple post.