Why's it called Catholisism?

I know that Lutheranism was founded by Martin Luthor, Church of England by Henry VII, and Episcapalian by Joe Piscapo, but I’ve never heard of any Cathol who structured Christianity into a while Pope on top kind of religion. So where does the word come from?

it means “universal”

-Imp

Hmm… thanks. :slight_smile:

Catholicism basically derives from a word meaning universal, as the former lad stated. There is nothing to add to this, but I wish to take the exchenge of ideas to a higher level.
Orthodoxism comes from ortho= right, straight, as according to the truth, and doxa= science, belief in this case.
The opposition of the two is interesting. Although at base they were one church, The Catholic and The Orthodox Churches disjoint in 1054 and are separated by dogmatic differences up until now. I do not wish to itemize a history of the two factions, but I would like to point out a characteristic that arises from the two : the wish of Catholics to expand their rule over the entire world, to assure a universality of faith, while the Orthodox church centers on the dogmatic truth.
Have in mind, though, that universality is not a synonim with corectness truth.