evidence supporting christianity? i know ive heard of it...

i want to know why you believe jesus was the son of god. why do you believe the people who selected the books that would go into the bible were inspired by god? why do you believe the writers of those books were inspired by god? why do you believe the pope or any famous religious guy knows more about what god wants than you do?

why do you believe the people of other faiths who disagree with you are wrong, or at least do not know all that they could or should?

now, given that you believe certain sources, how can you say that you know that the inquisitions and crusades were not mandated by god? i imagine it was the same kind of people of ambiguous scruples who did all of these things and sat on all of these comittees.

if you can admit that a dishonest person has ever had power in the church, what makes the other things the church said more credible than those things you know your god wouldnt really want unless he was a jerk?

come on im not going to rip you to shreds, the shred ripping has been done in the first post and youll be expected to provide the answer. ill certainly listen to and research whatever you say. i was going to research first but i didnt know where to start. thats the only reason why it looks like im ready to ignorantly pounce upon you. dont be afraid, i promise.

Hi Future Man

Certain ideas go beyond language since they can only be understood experientially. The depth of Christianity I’ve found to be like this.

For me to explain why I believe Jesus to be considered “Son of God” would require me to explain first the nature of cosmology and how the Son, as inner unity and completed in evolution, can be in the image of the father but existing within and in the image of the father at a lower level within creation.

God is consciousness. Each descending level of creation functions through more mechanical laws replacing a gradual lessening of consciousness. Higher consciousness strives to help lesser consciousness in the evolutionary flow of conscious evolution. Jesus was a part of this help.

So as you can see to do justice to such questions would require a great deal of effort and not worth doing for the sake of arguing. I think I know what she means which is why Ialso do not feel comfortable getting deep for the purpose of arguing.

If you are open to the following article, you’re off to a good start as to why I value Christianity.

monachos.net/patristics/clement_intro.shtml

i think its caused a little too much war to be called nourishing, but that was really more the rich clergies fault, not the religion itself.

what does he teach us? treat your neighbor like yourself? i already knew that. eat eucharist? why dont i believe that? why would an analogy between mothers milk and gods eucharist help me to believe that eucharist is really coming out of god when all empirical evidence would suggest its just a wafer? why bother making the analogy? i mean all that it illustrates is that godly nutrients are in there, and i already knew that.

aw you mean the Stromata is a copy of something plato said with some religiony words thrown in? i know the website says to hesitate, but i doubt it would disagree with what i just said, it would simply say it in a nicer sounding way.

isnt this kind of begging the question? i mean he draws a picture and says that knowledge can come from faith and the commandments. how is that different from not drawing the picture and saying that? i mean im not really seeing the purpose of the layers. i mean, what can i learn from the picture with layers above and below that i couldnt figure out without it?

i already knew that i ought to strive for knowledge, but this guy is saying that i should strive for faith in the same way. i dont even see how that is possible. i get knowledge by reading books and gathering evidence. isnt faith the opposite of that? i should be trying to believe something without evidence? trying to open my brain up to the indescribable experience? trying to go to church even though i dont believe so that the magic works its way into me? how do i strive for faith? i thought you either have it or dont.

dude. its not possible to believe this because its not even saying anything. its not that it doesnt make sense, its not saying anything. surely there is a more in depth analysis of the new knowledge that clement’s ideas shed light on?

so in less fancy words: 1. some force is spewing knowledge onto the world. 2. people are supposed to be looking for it. 3. when the person looking for knowledge hits the spewing logos, he goes up the elevator to the next level

am i not looking for knowledge or apatheia because im so skeptical of faith in things i have no evidence of? does god want me to be gullible and fall into every trap that can easily be described like this stomata is? with a few different words replaced into platos diagram?

wait so knowledge comes to us by following jesus’ example? i already knew that. i thought all christians did (or are supposed to).

why should i beleve that baptism has anything to do with partaking in divinity? does god give less divinity to people who never heard of baptism or are culturally inclined in another direction and dont have time to do every single ritual that might be the work of god?

the whole thing really isnt what i was looking for. i want to know why you think this st clement is somebody who you should believe. what makes you think he wasnt just some aristocrat (or working for one) trying to subdue the peasants? i mean this stuff really just sounds like the exact same christianity i already knew with a little plato and ‘light’ and ‘dark’ tacked. this was concocted in order to confuse the peasants into stopping their attempts to fully understand and just having faith that its true and makes sense and that they should respect the fancily dressed people who are able to talk about these presumably important things.

why should you trust this guy? what do his ideas illuminate that plato or more traditional christianity fail to? somebody who is pretty much just as credible as this guy (as far as we know, which isnt much, right?) wrote about how the god of the old testament was actually satan, and the real god was losing the battle before he dispatched a jesus and the tables turned. what makes you think this isnt true but st clement is true?

but really, its not about st clement being right or wrong, because it doesnt really seem like he is saying anything except a bunch of complicated extra visualizations and the incorporation of platos ideas of knowledge being analogous to up and down. i dont see what there is to gain by believing st clement was on to something.

sorry, i really didnt mean for this to happen, that st clement just sort of annoyed me. i really wanted to know more about st clements credibility. who is he? why should i believe he isnt a dirty liar or manipulated servant of one?

One of the greatest stories ever told is part of Chrisianity, and it also the most underplayed, and overlooked, in the history of the world.

The story of Nimrod and the tower of Babel. Even those who read it fail to understand the implications.

As far as the issue of Y’Shua’s(Jesus) place in the Christian doctrines, it is first valuable to learn about Constantine, Councils of Nicea, Athanasius, Arian, trinitarianism, homoousios.

Future Man

I believe that Jesus was the Son of God for a lot of reasons- Firstly, His actions promoted the creation of a great and powerful Institution that should be respected. Secondly, the accounts seem accurate, people were immediately willing to die for what Jesus said and did, and Jesus changed history at least as powerfully as He alluded to in His moral life.  Third, I have no pre-existing bias against the miraculous.  Fourth, because Christianity makes good on it's promises- that is, prayer works for me in a way that is consistant with Christian claims, the morality it proposes is the best morality there is.  
 Lastly, because we lose history, not gain it. People have believed this, acted on this, and died for this for 2000 years. Now that the original books are falling apart, burned, or otherwise not available, we want to pretend that means we know more about the past than the people that lived it, which is silly. 
 Quick question: How can a person [i]not[/i] believe that people who disagree with them are wrong? That's what 'disagree' means. 

I wouldn’t say that, and I don’t think a Christian has to say that. A simple “I don’t know” will suffice just fine.
[/quote]

you dont vehemently deny that the organization you love legitimately tortured and killed innocent people because thats what god wanted it to do??

there are few if any truly evil people in there and more than enough great people in there, today. and those great people are subject to the indoctrination of previous dogmas that may have been dreamed up by people who actually were evil a long time ago.

why do you believe that the things for which there is no credible evidence were not invented by an evil person with an agenda like subduing peasants and making them feel like they are getting something back in return for their mandatory 10% income tithe?

people are willing to die for a lot of things that arent true, terrorism comes to mind. besides, if a human with no divinity came around at that time and preached his perfect message and stood up to the clearly evil authorities, id fight and die if i had nothing better to do. it wouldnt take a belief in miracles for me to do that, it sure wouldnt take miracles to convince the middle easterners we know today.

youve seen them or are comfortable trusting people who say you ought to give them money?

it most certainly is the best morality that there is. what do the sacraments have to do with treating my neighbor like myself?

have you tried praying to muhommed and actually believing it as much as you believe christianity? is it possible that it isnt the holy spirit coming at you, but your own brain psychosomatically doing what you believe it will do and what you want it to do?

well they didnt have science back then. they were less skeptical (ie more gullible). the people who died for the crusades were peasants who absolutely had been manipulated. i mean, is it really reasonable to believe that the dark ages werent polluted by the occasional church power grab and peasant stomp? doesnt it make sense that the peasants at the time would have been ignorant of these actions?

i didnt ask IF you did, but why. what makes your sources more credible? the fact that muhommed took his religion into a bunch of wars and condoned or invented rituals that are repulsive to us? well… that would be interesting if that were why.

That wasn't your first statement. You didn't say "That's what God wanted it to do," you said "mandated by God".  I read that as meaning "Part of God's overall plan" not "God specifically told these people to do these things". If you meant the latter, that might be a different story.  Certainly the immediate, emotionally charged reaction would be that God would never endorse such a thing. But, apparently He at least tacitly approved of hurricanes and Pauly Shore movies, so maybe more thought is required. 
 Anyways, my real point is that a person need not have any solid opinion of things like the Inquisition in order to be a justified Christian.

All of that is possible. Nevertheless, I consider the fact that Jesus’s actions lead to the formation and preservation of such a massive Institution to be evidence in favor of the story.

Because for the first several centuries of it's inception, the teachings had the exact opposite effect, and still do to this day in most places and most situations. Also, because there were already plenty of institutions in place for a motivated person to accomplish those goals- Judaism was in large part exactly the way you describe above in Jesus' time, and that was the first thing they spoke out against. So, I suppose the imaginary evil people could be extra-super-duper devious, and had this all worked out in advance, but then, there's no actual evidence of that. Taking things at their face is simpler. 
 Islam is another one of those religions that has a lot of truth in it, and actually, people being willing to martyr themselves for it IS evidence in their favor. Don't make the mistake of thinking I'm going to say that all of these points favor Christianity[i] exclusively[/i].  Is there a difference in people allowing themselves to be killed passively for proclaiming what they believe, vs. people blowing themselves up to kill a few infidels? I'm not sure.  
 I just bet you would. I wasn't referring to people who 'fought and died' in that point, however. I was referring to people who allowed themselves to be imprisoned for years, tortured, and ultimately fed to wild animals while alive. I would submit that people would be willing to *fight* for many things they would not be willing to be tortured for. The psychology behind 'fighting for an ideal' and 'being tortured for sticking to what you know to be a lie' are two different things, I imagine. This is another difference between suicide bombers and martyrs- suicide bombers choose the time, conditions, and methods of their death. 

I said neither. What I said was, I have no pre-existing bias against them. In other words, a claim to the miraculous is not something I disregard reflexively.

What do the sacrements have to do with anything at all? They come at the very end of the belief structure- First, I see that the morality/instution is good, then I evaluate the claims and find them sound, then I evaluate the philosophy and internal logic and find it coherent, then, after already becoming convinced that Christianity is true, I come to respect the sacrements. After going through the above process, it would be rather ludicrous to just ignore or revoke sacraments without a darned good reason, wouldn’t you say so?
I’m not Catholic by the way, so I have precious few ‘sacraments’ to defend in the first place.

There are people here who will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Muslims would cut your head off or whatever it is they do to infidels if they caught you praying to Mohammed. They pray to Allah. Have I tried praying to Allah? Well, since I consider Him to be the same Being as what I call God, I guess I would say so. 
Of course it's [i]possible[/i].  But then, if my own brain is working against me in such a way, I guess I'm pretty screwed no matter what I believe, eh?
 That must be why John Edwards isn't making any money...

You don’t need 20th Century science to know that people can’t walk on water or come back from the dead as a rule. Now, I’m not faulting you so much, the idea you express above that ancient people were ignorant and we know so much better is a very popular misconception.

This is a question of history. What percentage of people fighting in the Crusades were peasents, vs. professional soldiers (knights and so on)? I don’t know, do you? From what I’ve heard, a great many of them were actually landowners themselves, with a great deal to lose.
As far as being manipulated, yes you could say that- Crusaders were manipulated into fighting because Islam was conquering all their lands and threatened to make Christianity extinct. That is a very strong incentive to fight, yes.

Well, the first thing that makes my sources more credible is that they are MY sources- the things I have been exposed to. If there are sources and evidences that point towards the truth of something else, such as Islam, I haven't been exposed to them yet, and as such, I am a Christian. 
  But, you aren't really asking an evidential question above. If you were, the only way to answer such a question would be for me to list every religious and anti-religious standpoint on earth, all of the evidence ever presented for them, contrast it to all the evidence ever presented for Christianity, and declare Christianity the victor. Under the presumption that you aren't asking for that, what are you [i]really[/i] asking?

If I provided a substantial answer to this, you would immediately move on to Judaism, Hinduism, or something else wouldn’t you? Like I said, what are you really after?

What gives Christianity, the stories of which - let's be honest (unless you can give me rigorous historical evidence besides the bible itself, and if you can, please do) - effectively are a mythology, any sort of profound truth other than the inspirational quality present in any story of persecution, perserverance, and divine justice?

While I'm not Christian, I relate very much to the story of Jesus - all the while realizing that the value is, by nature, that of a narrative rather than a textbook.
 I think that this is most likely a false claim - the Bible teaches that one should be closed to ideas that oppose Christianity.
 That's the point - what makes Christianity more valid a religion than, say, Wicca?  Both offer an apparently fulfilling spiritual life to their followers.
 Besides offering a spiritual beginning (which is, in modern day and age, held to be largely independant from any formal institution), what is it that makes this Institution so great, powerful, and worthy of respect.  I would argue (though it's trite) that Christianity is no more socially beneficial an institution than any other ideologically unified group - that is, what makes the Christian institution value is not any inherent value in its Christianity, but a value inherent in its status merely as a human institution.
 I realize that I am responding to you in a bit of a tossed-about order - I'm sure that you'll forgive me.  Anyways, once again, I'd ask, what makes the intuitive experiential knowledge that one gains by following Christianity (or any religion, for that matter) valuable?  Is it the fact that it is religious, or the fact that it's experiential knowledge?  If your quest is one for personal spiritual soundness/peace/achievment, why is the way to get there dependant on a pre-existing institution?  On the other hand, if your quest is one for social motivation and cohesion, why is the way to get there religious rather than secular?
 I understand that you may be reluctant to elaborate on such an apparently complex subject with the fear that it would most likely fall on deaf ears.  I would like you to elaborate on your take on cosmology and the "levels of creation," because I know I've never heard your exact take on it before.  I promise you, I won't make any references to the crusades.

nick_A was joking!! look at how much i wrote, you jerk! i was surprised but i should have known.

youre right. but i did originally mean that god specifically told the pope. and i agree that its totally plausible that he mandated it behind the scenes.

well those guys all look the same to me. with their fancy robes and indignant sneer and hilarious hat. and those same guys, the howard hughes’s of olden days cooked up some inquisitions and i just want to know why the guys who selected the bible books were in no way comparable to the scum who cooked up the inquisitions.

but rich people have so amazingly much power. what happened between the formation of the official thing in the 5th century and the next time we have reliable information confirming the virtue of all or most leaders of the church? isnt there a big dark area where the rich people who undoubtedly would have loved to infiltrate this thing could have started showing up at commitees and exerting their financial power and getting rid of righteous people who are talking about helping the poor and which things jesus said are comparable to a camel going through the eye of a needle?

didnt those people exist at some point? crazy rebellious left wing whackos who tried to spread the word that jesus said you should sacrifice your amazing wealth for the good of the poor? who came up with the idea to make the 10% income tithes mandatory? that is so evil. and not what jesus would want. ‘the name of the rose’ by umberto eco talks about this particular debate and i imagine it somewhat resembles history. do you know what im talking about? or at least how the rich people could have won that argument?

and i just feel like those same jerks made the bible, or at least chose which books would go in. and then also dictated the Tradition of ambiguous origin along with every piece of christianity that isnt obvious from a cursory examination of what a good christian thinks humans should behave like (like be nice, not too rich).

so its really easy for rich people to infiltrate a religion and corrupt it for their own disgusting ends. while the church obviously must have started as a great revolution against these filthy animals, after 400 years of its increasing power, it must have looked like the most delicious steak flavored ice cream to those dastardly rich people.

very good point, however, the martyrs might not have actually known for sure that the miracles were real or not. they also might have been just saying that there were miracles so that other people would join the anti-rich cause. and they might have just martyred themselves in this way because they are just plain secularly anti-rich and they were unable to blow themselves up in peace in those days.

i have a reflexive distrust of everything rich people say, especially when they want my money.

i did all those steps except i just didnt believe the parts where god zapped himself into our universe, simply because ive never seen him actually do that and i cant imagine why he would have to, and why he isnt doing it now.

additionally, while i respect the institution today as free of disgusting inquisition-level evil, i realize that it used to be different, and i know nothing and probably can never know anything about the people who created the parts that i find hard to believe. and i know that people like them created inquisitions.

i almost think its hilarious, but actually sad, that people would be angry instead of calmly helpful if they knew i accidentally prayed to muhommed.

but have you tried, you know, kneeling down, forehead on the ground style? they really like it

well you are screwed if you psychosomatically experience a religion that wants anything from us other than the happiness of the world

now that you mention it, youre kind of right. there was the childrens crusade, which was actually a bunch of children, but also apparently not sanctioned by anybody. but most of the people in the crusades were actually the non-first born sons of wealth. they didnt have their entire property to lose because they didnt technically have so much, but they had and needed money and armor. i recently learned this but forgot because i hate those crusades.

if im not mistaken though, the muslims were much nicer and better than we were. while usually taxing jews and christians a little extra, they actually let them pray instead of burning them alive. so lets just forget i mentioned the crusades and stick to the habitual torture.

i was kind of asking for that. something like ‘duke billy of akron was a big player on the commitee that decided what books will be put in the canon and he is definetely a good guy because he never tortured anyone and always tried to redistribute his wealth among the lepers and peasants’

meh, everyone knows that stuff is bunk. :stuck_out_tongue:

besides, if christianity is too hazy to be proven completely virtuous, everyone else’s history is even more subject to those shady rich guys.

Well, I don’t think they need to be so sharply different. I mean, you know what they say about the best intentions. Yes, maybe the people who started the Inquisition were nothing like the people who arranged the Bible, but I don’t think that’s necessary- rather small mistakes can result in huge catastrophes when you are talking about people who weild that much power.

When you talk about the formation of the official thing, do you mean the Bible? Obviously Christianity was around a long time before that. And when is the ‘next time’ we have reliable information? Are you saying there’s some big break in our historical knowledge of the Church sometime after the 5th Century? I am in no wise a historian, I’m asking.
Really, the goodness or the evilness of what the Church has become is irrelevant to my point though. I’m not saying that the Church is some holy thing that God has preserved and kept perfect from Jesus until now. What I’m saying is, the formation of such a powerful institution tells me that the original message of Jesus was something powerful and monumental, that it didn’t just fade away. The institution forces us to regard Him as something other than a forgettable nutjob. Something really big and really world-changing happened back then, that’s one piece of the puzzle.

There’s certainly enough people like that active right now that I can’t discount the possibility of it happening before! But I hope you see now how this isn’t impact what I’m trying to say.

I can see why you would think so. Other pieces of the puzzle speak against that, though.

Possible. But the first piece of the puzzle, that they actually succeeding in establishing something so massive and successful, speaks against this. The second piece of the puzzle for me is with the martyrs- whatever this massively world-changing thing was that happened, plenty of people around right at the beginning were willing to die claiming that it involved God coming to Earth as man. In other words, the closest we have to eye witnesses believed this, and believed it so very strongly that they could not be shaken. So,
1.) Something happened to completely change history.
2.) The people around at the time believe it was the miraculous actions of God become man.

I cannot stress enough how misleading the term ‘martyred themselves’ is for people that were captured, tortured, and killed. I’m sure every one of them would have preferred that not to happen. They did not do anything to themselves to prove a point. They lived their point, and were killed for refusing to deny it.

Well, I would say that’s an irrational bias on your part, BUT I would also say that the people who presented the miracles of Jesus to the world were not at all rich, unless you take a very strange view of Church history- you can claim that rich people made up Jesus, made up the miracles, and made up the Church as part of a scam, but as far as I know, not even atheist scholars believe that.

This is my third piece to the puzzle.
2.) The people around at the time believe it was the miraculous actions of God become man.
and now:
3.) I have no dead-set refusal to listen to claims of the miraculous- I will take them seriously when they are presented seriously.

Are you talking about the Incarnation of Jesus?

I wasn’t facing Mecca or anything, but yeah, actually I have. I like it in the right circumstance.

The point of your thread here seems to be about the evidence of Christianity being true, not how happy it makes people. If my goal is truth, then I have to take it for granted that the things my brain presents me with are mostly reliable, or I’d be screwed.

Christianity making good on it’s claims to present a good morality and answered prayer is the 4th piece of the puzzle:

and now:
3.) I have no dead-set refusal to listen to claims of the miraculous- I will take them seriously when they are presented seriously.
4.) The things that Christianity points to now to back it’s devine ancestry are true (in my experience)- prayer does work wonders, and God’s Word does provide the answers to difficult questions in life, and good way to understand the Universe.

After that, all that’s really left is to examine the internal logic of the unique concepts- the idea of God, the idea that He could become a Person, the idea that everybody has sinned, and that God has the authority/capability to forgive that sin. All of that is logically possible, it’s not incoherent or absurd. Call that a 5th piece if you want, but I think of it as evaulating the other 4 pieces. The end result after all that is that Christianity is more thank likely true- I have good cause to believe it. I hope this has satisfied the original question of your thread!

Well summed up Uccisore

Hello Emorgasm

If you are seriously interested, first read the "rawpaint"link posted on the initial post of the following thread.

ilovephilosophy.com/phpbb/vi … +needleman

If it resonates with you perhaps we could discuss some ideas. If not, that’s OK since not many are interested in these things.

The essence of Christianity deals with man’s “being” and the interaction of the energies and materiality associated with it. Knowledge of being and human being in particular, though able to be described intellectually, is psychological and verified experientially where the question of being is unimportant. In this way it differs from factual knowledge verified from outside ourselves. In order to understand the relativity of man’s being and its conscious potential as a microcosm within a greater cosmological structure, an organized teaching must be constructed which is the intellectual part of, but not exclusive to, Christianity as it is known.

The level of earth is in a unique place within the cosmological perspective. It is the point where mechanical evolution moving up can meet the lowest point of conscious involution moving down into creation. Man has already evolved mechanically as far as possible from the bottom up. Consciousness is required for man’s continued evolution which comes from conscious help from above. The purpose of Christianity is to allow one to become open to it.

Future Man, I don’t know how to answer you since there is no organized thought. If you’d like, read that link also. it is the first chapter of a thought provoking book. If it makes any sense, maybe it will help you to understand what St. Clement is driving at with the idea of “levels”

What if each and every human on earth was able to equal or become greater then the Christ in atleast one way? Then what?

uccisore,

Most of this was covered in my flying spaghetti monster, but it bears the sake of repeating some points.

likewise, muslims believe the mohammed was the prophet of god for lots of reasons.

Scientologists believe that L.R. Hubbard was divinely inspired for lots of reasons.

it is respected by all of it’s followers. Why should it be respected by those who don’t believe? It’s like Futureman stated… one need only look even to recent christian past to see many, many sordid episodes of hatred and bigotry and violence, being espoused in the name of christ. And it’s not like they are making this stuff up on their own… it’s all right there in the bible. Just like the “fundamentalist” muslims, who follow the path of martyrdom. They aren’t making it up, such “commands” do exist in the Qu’ran.

and in a mere 17 years, the muslim religion will have more followers than the christian religion. Will you respect that great and powerful institution?

There must be something to that mohammed guy if so many people followed him right?

People are willing to die for all sorts of things they believe in, in most recent memory, we have the heaven’s gate cult and the martyrs of islam.

I don’t see how this claim proves the truth of christ. It also seems to me, that those who aren’t willing to die, fully realize the grave importance of life here on earth, versus those who are willing to die for a cause.

I think this is also a matter of opinion… Jesus hated families. He told his followers to leave families to follow him, and to let the dead bury the dead. His own family thought he was crazy. (mark 3 i believe?)

you mean you are unwilling to apply the same level of skepticism to the “miraculous” as you do other things.

I think futureman answered this good. If you were a good muslim/mormon/moonie/scientoligist you’d also feel good. It’s completely pyschosomatic.

Does that mean I think it’s bad? I think not. I think it’s worth studying why meditation and prayer cause euphoria. There is a study done with an MRI that shows an area of the brain comes on that is not on for any other purpose.

It’s certainly looks like the brain is hardwired to beleive in “something”. Whether that’s christianity, buddhism, mysticism, islam, etc… doesn’t seem to matter to the brain.

as for morality?

Need we touch that issue again? rewind time and look at all the moral behaviors the church took part in… by command of the “good book”.

yeah… people have lived and died for lots of causes, why does that fact make it better than other religions?

the oldest copy of the torah exists in a museum in London… it’s little talked about because of how different it is from modern “holy scripture”.

i think the farther we get from the past, the harder it is to see through their eyes. What caused these people to believe that a man was god, and that we could be resurrected?

Certainly if someone made such claims today, most of us would apply some level of skepticism to the claims and the man making the claims. The church would grow slowly, (scientology, mormonism) and eventually would have a sufficient number of followers to be called a “legitimate” religion.

Certainly you look at the mormon or scientologist claims of the afterlife, and of how this life works (and certainly the E-meter crap deserves to be mocked) and apply the highest level of skepticism…

But is it really that much different from the claims made by christianity?

that our body will rise up from the dead and we’ll walk the earth (or heaven depending on your view.) as soulmen.

conclusion:

Now it may appear that I’m mocking your belief in christianity… I’m challenging it. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with your belief, like the belief in the diamond in the backyard (is there a god thread) the belief in the diamond makes someone happy, the same way the belief in christianity fulfills your life.

Scythekain, your entire point seems to be “Uccisore shouldn’t have strong belief in Christianity because lots of other people believe lots of other things juts as strongly”. Luckily, I already have a thread just for that.

scythekain said:

I disagree with this based upon personal experience, and a complete lack of knowledge or understanding by medicine/science.

1. Meditation and prayer are different. They can show similar effects, which is just an end result, but they are not related.

2. Meditation is a discipline. No, I am not speaking about the version of western meditation taught by hippies. I am speaking about the martial tradition, which requires being taught by someone who has studied and mastered the discipline.

3. Meditation does not cause “euphoria”. It is altogether different, but I won’t waste time explaining it to a westerner.

4. I have seen the study with the MRI, and it was summarily inconclusive, and speculatory.

i mean when constantine transformed it from a rebel, anti-rich movement into a gigantic cathedral, fancy robed, golden chalice pro-rich establishment. i dont know if that was actually him or how long it took to make that trsnformation, but i imagine the endorsement of the emperor took a little bit of the ‘fight’ out of the ‘fight the power’

plus its called the dark ages for a reason, not much historical evidence. probably because christians were constantly burning things like people and books. which they were, right? but im really not sure about the accuracy of christian history at this time either. its really what i was mainly looking for with this thread. but who is gonna write in a book about the virtue of the members of the councils? what evil rich guy would allow that to happen? what subsequent evil rich guys would allow those books to continue to exist for a thousand years?

im pretty sure that at least catholics would say that god actually has been talking to and directing the popes and the clergy (thats what makes the clergy special, isnt it?). i mean, dubya bush says he talks to god, and we all know hes a damn dirty liar. why believe bush? why believe anyone who says god talked to them but not you?

ghandi wasnt a forgettable nutjob either. what if nobody knew about what he accomplished except for the surrounding area. and people went around and told the story. its not hard for me to believe that somebody is either going to misinterpret or exagerate some parts of the story. like he should have starved long before he did, or if some soldiers got sick, then ghandi’s divinity is what caused it. and ghandis divinity caused his fellow strikers to be stronger than they would otherwise have been, and the strikers themselves, psychosomatically affected by the huge importance of their actions, might have actually felt stronger than they knew they had felt when starved for similar periods of time in their past experience.

the feelings associated with being a part of something masive might have felt a little supernatural, and the story tellers might have exagerated at some point, giving ghandi a slight bit of divinity, like a saint, but not jesus. but then the indian authorities realize they are dealing with a permeating rebellion that isnt going to go away. they finally give in after killing hundreds of otherwise innocent people and they make some reforms and they adopt some of the memorial rituals that the ghandians invented to honor the great guy who they hoped was watching them while he was dead.

then, as everyone gets used to the idea that ghandism isnt a rebellious movement but, instead, the conservative old fashioned status quo kind of thing, they forget that its supposed to be about rebellion. the grandchildren of the people who knew ghandi dont care about the remembrance rituals and they dont believe that ghandi is watching them honor him from the afterlife, they just do the rituals and claim to believe whatever it is they are told to believe and they go back to their life farming. with this attitude, the rich animals who are always trying to take advantage of something can slowly sneak in over the course of centuries of dark ages. slowly change things and impose tithes and invent requirements that were never even close to anything ghandi ever said.

i just dont find it hard to believe. considering the fact that people who are supposed to be avatars of jesus are burning people alive like it was a slap with a ruler, i find it hard to believe that the church wasnt corrupted beyond repair at some point during their reign of horror.

but what if the reason why they claimed that belief wasnt because they actually saw that it was true but because they were trying to prove the point that jesus was so amazingly great. rebels can lie too. and how do we know that they specifically claimed the divinity of jesus instead of the evil of their rulers? how hard would it have been to modify the records of however it is that they professed their beliefs and the records of exactly why the romans were punishing them?

i mean, do the records say that they were specifically killed for saying that someone besides one of zeus’s buddies was a god? they dont just say they were troublemakers? and these records existed somewhere in the roman empire after the roman empire converted itself to utilizing christianity? how hard would it have been to go back and change those records from anti-rich people rebels to pro-christian-establishment records for the sole purpose of causing you and the peasants to believe exactly what you are saying. have we carbon dated the ink and paper?

yeah but they were trying to get people to listen to them as much as possible. it worked for lots of other people who apparently arent the son/avatar of god but claimed they were.

the imbuing of magical powers. ive never seen a miraculous heal, i never felt anything from the eucharist even in second grade when i totally wanted to believe because i was afraid of hell. and i really wonder why god would only have one jesus. why wouldnt he always have a jesus on earth to help us out? was the time of the romans particularly evil, and he chose this route instead of another great flood?

i just dont see how god can expect me to believe it, and when the church says that he requires me to believe in his magic that ive never seen, i have to wonder if god and the church understand what the word believe means.

youre right, but its also unnecesary. what evidence is there of free will’s existence, and therefore the existence of sins to be forgiven? what does god actually accomplish by making his avatar on earth magical instead of merely intelligent and powerful?

that last part is the only reason why i dont like christianity. a bunch of fancy fluff that jesus didnt ask for. and if we are to believe that the bible sums up every main point he made and didnt leave out his decree that we need golden chalices etc, then the creation of these silly things took place during the dark ages, presumably at the request of rich animals seeking to impress the public. during that same time, people were tortured by rich animals claiming to have the authority of god.

i wholeheartedly agree that everything jesus said is cool and we should listen to it. i dont think he said a lot of the things the church does and i dont understand why anybody believes it when the church says it has the authority to decree these things.

did you read my conclusion?

yes that is my point, but as I stated in your other thread I don’t think people should willy nilly give up there beliefs.

I wonder if anyone is aware of the fact that there are numerous studies on the fact that predisposition towards/against religiosity/spiritualism is intrinsic from birth, possibly as a genetic inclination?

Perhaps the problem with belief is as much individualized in the genome structure(intrinsic) as in the acquired value system(extrinsic)?