Anonymous Christian

Karl Rahner, who lived and loved during the even year 1904 and the rather infamous -though due to different factors- year 1984, was one of those Germans who, like most other educated Germans, have something important to say. His profound and full of insight discourse earned him the reputation of one of the foremost Roman-Catholic theologists of the 20th century, which, mind you, is no small business, even among Germans. He died in Innsbruck, Austria, shortly after the USSR had gone home with most of the medals at the Winter Olympics in Sarajevo, Yugoslavia (what are the odds ? ). Rahner’s theology was highly influential at the Second Vatican Council, his spectrum of writings is large, the Pope loved him, his early influences were Heidegger and Kant.

What interests me most here, though, is Rahner’s view of the relation between Christianity and other religions, which he explains in his work Theological Investigations. Here, he expresses the view that Christianity is more the condition acquired through conduct than the cause of subsequent feats of religious bravery, which in consequence opens the gates of Christendom to any living sole.

Rahner does not consider all religions to be equal, nor that they are particular instances of common encounter with God. The Church is still the creation of Christ, and salvation can still be atained through it. Christianity has exclusive status, and the question is whether other religions give access to the same saving grace as Christianity. His approach allows him to suggest that the beliefs of non-Christian religious traditions are not necessarily true, while allowing that they may nevertheless mediate the grace of God by the lifestyles which they evoke – such as a selfless love of one’s neighbor.

Rahner still promotes the idea of Christianity being the absolute religion, founded on the unique event of the self-revelation of Christ. However, he admits that those who have had not the chance of coming in contact with God’s word are not excluded from salvation, that being contrary to God’s saving will. Non-Christian beliefs are valid and capable of mediating the grace of God, at least until the gospel is made known to their members. Therefore, he argues, the faithful adherent of a non-Christian religious tradition can succesfully be named an “anonymous Christian.”

Here is an excerpt from an interview with Karl Rahner concerning the matter of the anonymous Christian:

As any, Rahner met criticism to his view.

Rahner’s theory has been criticised by Hans Urs von Balthasar, a well-known theologist himself, who questioned “whether Rahner has evacuated Christianity of its categorial content in favour of a relationship with God not essentially mediated by the concrete content of faith.” (The Cambridge companion to Karl Rahner). His criticism disagreed of Rahner’s whole anthropological starting place, finding his theology too human-centered. Hans Metz, as far as he is concerned, becomes a bit concerned about the excessive stress put on self-affirmation in the human-God relation, which diminishes considerably Christianity’s social and historical role.

My question arises in the face of the same rapport between the privatism of religion on the one hand, and the social aspect of it on the other. Is Rahner entitled to affirm that righteousness earns the status of ‘Christian’, whether it is an anonymous manifestation or not ? Is the idea of an ‘anonymous Christian’ even viable, or reasonable ? In the context put forward by Rahner, does individualism prevail over the established professional ethics of secular tradition ? Does Rahner by his claims of universality relativise Christianity too much ? In the midst of this, when and where exactly lies the essence of being a Christian ?

i’d never heard of this. it’s cool though, i like it.

i agree with some of his ideas, such as the example of a buddhist monk who simply by following his conscience, is able to attain salvation. but it raises the interesting question: is a conscience simply a modern-day term for the holy spirit? maybe it is god’s voice guiding us towards the right path, whether we choose to listen or not.

that’s intriguing. i’ll have to sleep on it.

Hi M S

A Christian I believe, is one who is able to actualize or live the teaching. I’ve learned to call a person interested in the teaching like myself but not completely live it a "pre-Christian.

While the appearance of righteousness in secular society often earns the title of “Christian” by those claiming to be so and equally lost in appearance, I believe it to be meaningless in relation to the essence of Christianity.

The “Good” of Christianity I believe is open to anyone wishing the “good” beyond appearance.

Actually Simone Weil is a good example and her critical view of the Church is why she is considered by some the “patron saint of Outsiders.” Her Christianity was authentic and not restricted by appearance.

Nice post!

Ohh, and…Happy Valentine’s!.. :laughing:

Just joking…

OK, now I’m serious…

That’s more of a heresy, because the Holy Spirit works only within the Curch. Of course, that, if you don’t believe that actually human counscience is dubbed “Holy Spirit”. Rahner’s visions are rather generous concerning non-Christian, and doesn’t contradict the Fathers of the Church(non-Christians CAN receive redemption, if living a life in agreement to his counscience), except for the "Anonymous Christians"part. A Buddhist cannot be a Christian just for the fact that he lives a righteous life, until he commits himself to Christ. There is no Christianity outside Christ(obviously enough, Christ is the root-word…), and a man that refuses or simply doesn’t know anything about Christ ISN’T a Christian. Yes, he may be a righteous man, and even be redeemed, but not a Christian. Don’t you agree?..

i heard about this in catholic school. i was also told that if one of these righteous buddhists was exposed to the bible and Tradition, and then rejected the silly complexity for that with which he was more familiar, he would be in trouble just like any other non-christian who wasnt so righteous (maybe a little less trouble, but trouble nonetheless).

i just have a gigantic problem with this. as a righteous non-christian, i find it insulting that any value is given to the mere belief in rituals dictated by some guy who decidedly does not appear very divine. i can understand the need for seemingly irrational faith in the value of selflessness, but not in the value of rituals that have no empirical, observable effects.

the fact that they have no observable effects means that they are the EXACT SAME rituals that ANY other faith espouses. i suppose the difference between christianity and many faiths is the emphasis on selfless sacrifice, but i dont see what that has to do with the rituals at all.

what if i told you about futuremanianity, where the Ultra Spirit gives you the holiness to be selfless and work towards the happiness of the world. and also, in addition to being selfless, you have to come to my house and stand on your head for five seconds every week. why would you believe christianity and not me? lets say i have one extremely old book, too, and rich people have been utilizing my faith to exploit the poor for centuries.

i just think the idea of a perfectly selfless person being treated in the afterlife slightly less gloriously simply because he refused to believe that preists who asked for his money were able to invisibly interact with god unlike anybody else, that idea is very disgusting to me.

Hello Scevola:

— Is Rahner entitled to affirm that righteousness earns the status of ‘Christian’, whether it is an anonymous manifestation or not ?
O- I do not believe so, unless we affirm that he speaks for the Holy Spirit for the instruction of His Body, The Church. That being said, his position weakens His Body and therefore i would say that he speaks more for himself than for the Spirit.

— Is the idea of an ‘anonymous Christian’ even viable, or reasonable ?
O- If it was, then we could erase the entire part of the Gospel in which Jesus commands his apostles to preach said Gospel.

— Does Rahner by his claims of universality relativise Christianity too much ?
O- Yes.

— In the midst of this, when and where exactly lies the essence of being a Christian ?
O- I’ll just say that Christianity arrives from the affirmation in accepted Scripture that “no one is righteous”, (undermining Rahner’s claims fundamentaly), meaning that, for the Christian, the possibility of righteousness does not exist.
Suppose you have to similar persons that just died. One was a fairly decent person who was an atheist; the other a fairly decent person who was a christian. What should we say of the atheist? That his behaviour, attained on his own power, will lead him through the same gates that the Christian will walk through as well, but due to his faith and the grace of salvation?
But enough has been said on this by Martin Luther in “The Bondage of the Will”

a) Read the outcomes of the Second Vatican Council. Rahner’s work predicts a big ideological shift which eventually effected institutional catholicism from the 60s.

b) Someone wrote that Rahner’s views represents ‘heresy’. How so? Heretical views are those categorised as antithetical to church teaching…and need to be formally defined and rejected. Moreover, the views would need to be ritually observed by congregations in order to acquire such a status. In any case, as I wrote above, the Catholic church itself now views favourably ideas like Rahner’s.

c) Rahner is certainly not the only theologian to come up with views like this. See also, among the most prominent, Hans Kung and John Hick (off the top of my head).

d) I haven’t been on this site for a long time, but it still amazes me that people can post such forceful remarks about complicated issues despite their almost complete ignorance of the very difficult, profound and complex doctrinal and cultural issues at stake in discussions of religion. A little more humility goes a long way.

Hi Mucius Scevola,

The term righteousness is something that in the OT is achieved by following the Torah. The righteous of the NT are those who do good without realising it.

Matthew 25:37 §
Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when did we see thee hungering, and we nourished? or thirsting, and we gave to drink?

Therefore, it would seem to be acceptable to assume, that non-Christians could do the same and be deemed righteous …

Karl Rahner is also the Theologian who once wrote, “The Christian of the future will be a mystic or he will not exist at all.” A mystic is someone who knows the hidden God. Who speaks of the God who pervades and determines everything in silence and of a God who is beyond everything that theology could say about him. They speak of the God they love as “inconceivable”. These things a mystic knows not only from theology but from the experience of his heart. In the end they often substitute silence for theological words. They are often like Karl Rahner was once described, “a mystic of everyday life, … a priest who constantly surrendered to God’s loving incomprehensibility through a life of self-giving love, a theologian whose thinking was inseparable from his own spiritual life.”

Therefore it doesn’t surprise me to read, “Rahner’s views of the supernatural existential and of revelation become the basis of his famous theory of “anonymous Christians.” On the one hand, God’s salvific will is universal. This leads Rahner to say that there should be a possibility for all persons to be saved. Yet, on the other hand, the Catholic tradition holds a belief that salvation is possible only through faith in Jesus Christ and the membership into the Church. For Rahner, this conflict is solvable through the notions of the “supernatural existential,” as the condition for all persons in their transcendentality to receive God’s grace and “universal-transcendental revelation,” which becomes God’s self-communication to all people as transcendent beings. Consequently, Rahner urges, those who do not confess Jesus Christ explicitly and do not become members of the Catholic Church, “must have the possibility of a genuine saving relation with God” (Rahner 1993, 54) and therefore they are called “anonymous Christians.””
people.bu.edu/wwildman/WeirdWild … rahner.htm

I don’t know whether we can make it that simple. I think that individualism, as a “Belief in the primary importance of the individual and in the virtues of self-reliance and personal independence,” is not what Rahner has in mind. Rather, he is more concerned that if Salvation is universal, and God is just, He would not condemn the man who has lived as though he were a Christian. That is, Rahner believes that the influence of God is universal and not restricted to the Church and its teaching.

The idea that all criteria of judgment are relative to the individuals and situations involved would be in keeping with a God who is always righteous.

“The righteous one shall live by faith.” Faith in Hebrew is emunah, which translates as a steadfastness and an assuredness about the will of the Holy One for his people, and a faithfulness towards him. In Greek it is the word pistis, meaning a persuasion or conviction that the message of redemption through the cross of Christ is true and the divine way to salvation is by trust in his promises. The Way of Jesus, the path of emunah or pistis, follows the promise of the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, assured that his Way will bring life and healing to a broken world.

Shalom

Where’ve you been, Bob? I haven’t seen you around in awhile.

Hi Phaedrus,

Under piles and piles of work, dashing from meeting to meeting, and returning home to sleep. My wife has a cardboard cutout sat on the couch, so that people visiting know what I look like … :wink:

Shalom

Rahner’s attempt to find inclusiveness in Christianity is admirable, but the backlash is predictable. To allow non-Christians to enjoy the grace of God (redemption) is an appeal to salvation through works, and not in the acceptance of Jesus as Christ redeemer, son of God. To accept Rahners position is to go beyond the core tenets of any and all Christian factions.

“I am the way, the truth, and the light.”

While the label can be attached to many of any religion, or even those of secular righteous lives, it is simply a label. A Christian is a Christian. All religious followers are who they are because of their acceptance of the tenets of their particular religion, and their religion is exclusive even though their daily practices are the same as in other religions.

Hey Bob,

I had to laugh at the cardboard cut out story. I did the reverse. For every meeting that I wasn’t needed, just invited, I sent along a cardboard cut out of me sitting in a chair, smiling attentively. It didn’t take long and I only was invited to those meetings where my input was needed… You might want to consider that… :wink:

JT

Yes, but does this statement mean:

a) That believing in Jesus as ‘Messiah’ (a title/honour he is never reported as bestowing on himself in any of the surviving written traditions) is the only way of ‘going to heaven’.

b) That imitating Jesus’ lifestyle as a ‘true one’ is the right thing to do.

Most people unthinkingly assume a). But, upon reflection and consideration of the total corpus of written evidence in the manner of a Sanders or Vermes, it is a lot less clear that this is necessarily what Jesus would have intended/meant himself when/if he said these words. We can, however, be more confident he (and the writers who reported what he said assumed he) meant b).

The bottom line, of course, is that your interpretation of this important passage is a function of you as reader. And it is important to consider the deeper hermeneutic resonances at play before conjuring instinctual interpretations to what are (after all) complex, ancient writings assembled from the bare ingredients of other literary texts.

Hi gavtmcc,

I’m glad you brought this up. Isn’t this the bottom line about so many discussions about who or what Christ is? I had naturally assumed b). for years, then I came into contact with conservative groups who were very indignant that I could think that way. It set me off however, looking for a reliable source of information.

Shalom

gavtmcc,

I agree that the choice should always be (b), but if you followed Bob’s creativity/banality thread, you can easily see how Rahner would be welcomed… My earlier comments come from long experience with conservative reactionaries (a bunch in my family). That their beliefs are based on interpretive understandings, doesn’t prevent them from demanding their own literalist ‘knowing’ and vociferously challenging any suggestions of understanding outside their own narrow viewpoint.

Remember, Satan works in insiduous secretive ways. :unamused:

JT

Hi gavtmcc

A long time ago I read that before being able to say that “I am a Christian”, it is fist necessary to be able to say “I am.” Since we neither know what this or have it have any meaning in reality for us, it is one reason why there are so few Christians.

That is why IMO this a misconception. You cannot do it since you are not. This is why I believe that before thinking of the “way”, it is better to think first of what "I am"means in reference to oneself…

I’m pleased to hear it, Bob! You must have become a historian!

I’m always glad when people are anything less than humble about their deceidedly human capacities for understanding! It give people like you and I something to learn for and argue with. Perhaps, even, educate. And in the process, we ourselves are compelled to learn. We should not forget to be Weberian about this and remember that conflict so often leads to progress.

Indeed; but the most important step along this particular path, I believe, as a critical progressivist Wittgensteinian, is that such musings only get us so far…and they will get us precisely as far as the constraints and formulations of language allow. Rather than pushing language into metaphysics, haven’t we got a hard enough job working out how language works intrinsically first?! This is what the postmodern historian in me impels me to argue, at any rate.

gavtmcc,

Quite true, lest we become what we would contend with. I appreciate an exchange of viewpoints, particularly those that force me to look at my own ‘knowing’. Still there must be intent on both sides of a conflict to consider other points of view. Without that there is no dialog, just diatribe. We needn’t look too far to see the results of the latter. :unamused:

JT

Humanity with knowledge and without understanding is the great Satan.

Y’Shua had no need to claim “messiahhood”, as being foothold for the path to the Divine, it would have been a diminishing statement, not an embellishing one.

Righteousness is a blood badge calling card for those who understand little and believe they have captured the “all” to cut down those who walk in the light. Righteous kin walk and appear differently in the world of man, and very often are considered to be outside the “laws of men”. Hence they become targets. (Francesco Petrarch comes to mind)

A true Christian is very likely a mystic who unwaveringly walks the path without ever annunciating, “I walk thusly, notice with reverence my path and my deeds”.