on the issue of fundamentalism

Fundamentalism (aka literalism) Is a serious problem in all religions. This is a problem that needs to be dealt with the utmost umpunity, but it cannot, because the moderates claim that the holy books are “silk purses”.

Moderates need to realize that they are just impunging the parts of the “sow’s ear” that they don’t like, and they do nothing for mankind by holding these books to such high standards.

here’s some examples from the “holy books” that moderates ignore.

is this what we want to call “the best that man can produce”? (as many moderates say…)

Just something to think about.

Scy,

what do you suggest? Wouldn’t things just be worse than they are if we were totally intolerant towards ancient religions?

what do you think of going to Israel in order to convince the Jews who smash their heads against the Wailing Wall that their faith is a lie and that their religion is based upon an outmoded and primitive worldview, brought forth by insane men? Would you make a try?

Hi MB,

“Whosoever is without sin should throw the first stone …”

Shalom

“he who holds the stone throwers hands,saves them from breaking any commandment”
22If a man is found sleeping with another man’s wife, both must die. Purge that evil from Israel.:simply ridiculos,this prooves God is demanding Homocide,that isn’t the God i know.

Unfortunately, you can find verses in the Bible for both kinds of God. Cruel men, or terrified men, pick the terrible verses and construct a monstrous idea of God (then try to bludgeon their fellow believers into submission with them). Good men tend to focus on the good verses and construct a good idea of God, and ignore the evil stuff.

My personal religious philosophy is that books are written by men, taught by men, and promoted by men, none of whom ever were infallible. Anyone demanding belief because of a passage in a book needs to be laughed at. Belief should be given in payment for veracity and demonstration of such, not for the pre-supposed infalibility of a source.

Another reason why I don’t believe in infallible texts: you can only have one reference point for what you consider to be the definition of the truth. I pick the world. If a book is measured against the world, and there is an error, it is a flaw with the book’s description of the world, not a flaw in the world’s following of the book’s script! The world isn’t contained between two covers.

i was making a Good infuence on Bob by saying "“he who holds the stone throwers hands,saves them from breaking any commandment” making myself a awarness too his thoughts.
I don’t see God as a “monstrous” form for the Contradictions of the Man made Bible.

your philosophy is very true.
so your demanding Laughter upon Christians because of a simple statement i pointed out,that’s not very amusing.
Indeed the Bible is a source,the Big deal is how someone CHOOSES to interpet it.

my definition of the truth is none of your concern.
i understand what you mean when you say "If a book is measured against the world, and there is an error, it is a flaw with the book’s description of the world, not a flaw in the world’s following of the book’s script! " that makes rational since the same for your conclusion “The world isn’t contained between two covers.”
actually the earth is inside a rotating TimeCube,which gives it the HARMONIC power to rotate around the sun,the world is where Humanity is from,God is considered many things anymore,most likely expected is a “lie”. just a few pointers,with some Honesty.

Wasn’t intending to pick on all Christians. Most are benevolent, kind, and intelligent people who are out to do good. They tend to like the better verses of the Bible. (If the left’s mental image of the avatistic life-hating fundi being the majority were true, how in the world did our nation’s history unfold as it did?)

I was only needling those who worship God like a serf worships a tyrant. Most Christians have a far better notion of God than a Johnathan Edwardsian malevolent tormentor. But then again, there are those that can’t help concatonating every objectionable verse into a very twisted idea of God.

IMO the earth’s rotation and revolution about the sun are caused most directly by angular momentum and gravity. Harmonics (multiples of natural frequencies of a forced system?) don’t really apply. At least, I don’t think they do?

Christ sayings definately do bring a higher level of tolerance towards people… But, he also had his moments of insanity. “I didn’t come here to bring peace but the sword…” on why we should leave our family to follow him.

“Bring him in front of me and kill him” on those that abuse the gift given him.

“The only way through the father is through me.” on those who refuse to follow.

There are “prophets” alive today as well, and I believe they have higher moral standards. Kahlil Gibran for instance.

I tend to agree, the better christians don’t even need the bible to be moral though, they would be so without it. They could do like Kahlil Gibran and write new moral treatises. That way we can put the bible on the shelf reserved for other stories from the past, that we no longer rely upon for morality.

Bob,
you made an ABUSIVE quote,this goes against the commandment,thou shalt not kill,i know how things get out of hend,but your being to over-protective around yourself,with the conclsuion:
"“Whosoever is without sin should throw the first stone …”
so to solve the ENTIRE problem,on both sides of the room:
“he who holds the stone throwers hands,saves them from breaking any commandment”
you break the rules given,sometimes i have to be the punching bag,errr.

“it’s best to talk something out,rather then kill someone you grew to love and one of her friends.”